House Price Crash Forum
Andy D

Palace Of Versailles In Walthamstow

Having lived in E17 from 94 to 2002, i am staggered that a house not half a mile from the Standard music pub is on the market for four hundred thousand pounds. My old stomping ground.

Lots of industrial estates in that part of town too.

Worst bit of E17, if such a thing can be imagined.

Quite apart from it being a living nightmare from the minute you open the door.

Actually Walthamstow is a living nightmare outside the door too.

But for all the N1 wannabees, (they existed in the 90s too)i guess they can convince themselves its ok.

Thats a truly depressing price.

Houses in Walthamstow were built for shit shovellers.

Pearly Kings and Queens have got to live somewhere i suppose. It looks like it will cost another half a mill to rip all that tat out and make it part ways habitable for a normal human being. Laughable that you need to be on 150k a year to live in a house built for a manual worker to live in 100 odd years ago when the area was probably more salubrious.

It would be 'interesting' to know what the vendors are like. The pretentiousness of the place is staggering.

It's a style I have heard referred to as 'Louis Faroukh'. There is a lot of very expensive high end LF in Harrods, gilding and curlicues and whatnot. Very popular with certain nationalities.

Having lived in E17 from 94 to 2002, i am staggered that a house not half a mile from the Standard music pub is on the market for four hundred thousand pounds. My old stomping ground.

But for all the N1 wannabees, (they existed in the 90s too)i guess they can convince themselves its ok.

My views also but i cannot dream now of buying a place in walthamstow at these prices.

It's their house, if that's what they like then good on them. No such thing as "correct" decor.

Yes it will probably make selling harder than a more neutral style, but presumably they knew that at the time and decided to do it anyway.

It's not what I'd choose for myself, but if I was picking between renting that and renting a house coated from top to bottom with B&Q Slumlord Extra-Value Brand magnolia paint? No contest.

It's not what I'd choose for myself, but if I was picking between renting that and renting a house coated from top to bottom with B&Q Slumlord Extra-Value Brand magnolia paint? No contest.

It would certainly be interesting, but I think I'd need an isolation tank set up somewhere for emergencies.

I love how much coverage this house is getting, keeps popping up everywhere. Based on the area and style i would hazard a guess it's owned by an Indian family. There's a lot of interestingly styled terraces around there, Askrigg that is a rare glimpse inside one.

E17 terrace prices have give mental recently. I think a year ago that would have gone on the market for 250.

As someone pointed out it's the rough end of a pretty rough postcode. I'm not sure looking at it from 94-2002 versus now shows a lot though. The whole of London has transformed in that time. E17 has changed a lot in two years, let alone 11. As with everywhere in the South East though, the prices are a joke.

I played gigs at the Standard a lifetime ago. My sentiments reflect yours.