House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

The Winter Panic Thread

As the clocks go back in a fortnight and The Express has already given us the green light to panic:

Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

It's time to check the prices of snow winter tyres, buy some autosocks (I have been looking for these all year, still not found any, don;t buy on-line) and see who can hold out the longest without putting their heating on (failed this week, sorry).

As a starter here's how to make fuel from scrap paper:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Bricks-free-fuel-from-recycled-paper/

I've been predicting Winter again, after Autumn, but I am not very wise!

The Express obviously employs that Nostrilanus dude! :huh:

We put the heating on last week for a couple of days to help dry a bumper haul of wild mushrooms. Then we turned it off again.

Not sure if that counts as capitulation or not.

I follow a number of professional and amateur weather forecasters on twitter and I think they may hate the express even more than we do! They have all been taking the piss out of the recent headlines and reiterating that there is actually no snow forecast at all in the next month.

I follow a number of professional and amateur weather forecasters on twitter and I think they may hate the express even more than we do! They have all been taking the piss out of the recent headlines and reiterating that there is actually no snow forecast at all in the next month.

Did anybody forecast our fantastic summer? Not that I can recall. Heard recently of a farmer who normally grows sunflowers for bird food. Disastrous crop last year so he didn't bother with them this year...

We've had heating on twice, once last night and once a couple of weeks ago when we had a guest staying overnight.

Last couple of days also put electric blanket back on, plus winter duvet. Bliss.

Did anybody forecast our fantastic summer? Not that I can recall. Heard recently of a farmer who normally grows sunflowers for bird food. Disastrous crop last year so he didn't bother with them this year...

We've had heating on twice, once last night and once a couple of weeks ago when we had a guest staying overnight.

Last couple of days also put electric blanket back on, plus winter duvet. Bliss.

I never put on the heating for my friends! They have a very low body temperature, and only come out at night! ;)

I hear people saying that because X, Y or Z berries was a bumper crop it'll be cold. Or my pet stoat has grown an extra pashmina this winter its going to be cold.

But aren't these more likely to be a reaction to past winters, or the warmish summer than anything else? Is anyone coming out to say, one good month of summer = new ice age?

I hear people saying that because X, Y or Z berries was a bumper crop it'll be cold. Or my pet stoat has grown an extra pashmina this winter its going to be cold.

But aren't these more likely to be a reaction to past winters, or the warmish summer than anything else? Is anyone coming out to say, one good month of summer = new ice age?

There are no genuinely weather-predictive species outside of the Tardis and Old Moore's Almanac.

They can only react. There was massive growth of new shoots on some trees after the last very cold winter so you could see that the tree was trying to ensure survival.

I never put on the heating for my friends! They have a very low body temperature, and only come out at night! ;)

Wouldn't you prefer their blood warmed up a bit before you get your fangs into it?

But aren't these more likely to be a reaction to past winters, or the warmish summer than anything else?

Yes. Although I once met a Crataegus who claimed to be clairvoyant.

It snowed this week in the french alps and i saw a few cars with snow on there roofs in Geneva last thursday wich meant that they lived at over 1000 meters.

Which is nothing more than a hill here.

Wouldn't you prefer their blood warmed up a bit before you get your fangs into it?

Ah, you are confusing my friends, with my victims! :huh::D

Guest eight

As long as no one is panicking about the hour long crimewatch on Monday night at 9pm.

I'm sure somebody somewhere is.

As the clocks go back in a fortnight and The Express has already given us the green light to panic:

Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November

Yes, but dosen't the Express basically spend the whole of October - March predicting imminent snowy doom and April-September predicting imminent heatwave doom?

Yes, but dosen't the Express basically spend the whole of October - March predicting imminent snowy doom and April-September predicting imminent heatwave doom?

I wouldn't put too much faith in the predictions of the Express!

When I had 50p coin meters in the house (seems really odd now!) I would make my friends pop some cash in when they visited...

When I had 50p coin meters in the house (seems really odd now!) I would make my friends pop some cash in when they visited...

I used to live in a bedsit, with a ten pence slot meter. It was cold. Now you get a pre-charged key.

I had one here when I moved in, but I had it changed for a quarterly bill meter.

Mr Frank Hovis....

I am the Witch Finder General and I accuse you of fiddling with heater knobs.

You naughty boy you, my knob is entirely unmolested.

Guilty!

witchsmeller_pursuivant.png