House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motch

Dog Food V Fish Food. Why The 100X Difference In Price?

Went to buy a 50g tub of fish food in a well down chain of pet stores, cost - £5.50p. so £110 a kilo.

Going to buy some working dog food soon. 15kg is under a £ a kilo.

Both will last the pets around the same amount of time (well will probably last the fish longer).

So why the HUGE difference in price by weight? given that both dog and fish are each kept by 10's or 100's of millions of people worldwide, it's not as if fish keeping is a rare thing to do.

Went to buy a 50g tub of fish food in a well down chain of pet stores, cost - £5.50p. so £110 a kilo.

Going to buy some working dog food soon. 15kg is under a £ a kilo.

Both will last the pets around the same amount of time (well will probably last the fish longer).

So why the HUGE difference in price by weight? given that both dog and fish are each kept by 10's or 100's of millions of people worldwide, it's not as if fish keeping is a rare thing to do.

1 ) Fatten your dog up cheaply.

2 ) Kill your dog and feed it to your fish.

Problem solved.

1 ) Fatten your dog up cheaply.

2 ) Kill your dog and feed it to your fish.

Problem solved.

:)

you've passed the test... you can become the next leader of North or South Korea.

anyone throw some light on why? admittedly you can buy 1 kilo tubs of Aquarium fish food at much less per kilo prices than 25 or 50grams, but still very expensive. the mark up on shop fish food sold in tubs must be huge.

Because a big chunk of the price of anything are the fixed costs - advertising, transaction costs, staff costs, none of that gets cheaper just because its a small packet.

If it was common to have fish the size of dogs then the prices would be more equivalent.

Because a big chunk of the price of anything are the fixed costs - advertising, transaction costs, staff costs, none of that gets cheaper just because its a small packet.

If it was common to have fish the size of dogs then the prices would be more equivalent.

Where can I buy the goldfish that is the size of a dog ?

That would be great.

these costs are similar though for both Dog food and Fish food ? in fact advertising much less for fish don't have many adverts on tv advertising fish food, loads for dog food (or at least loads from the last decade or two, mostly wonga types nowadays).

Koi carp can get pretty big.

anyone throw some light on why?

At a guess: because dogs basically eat our rubbish. The bits of a animals we won't even put into sausages. This is likely to be all but free.

Fish food is probably made of ground up fish that needs pulling out of the sea.

Also companies charge what they can. Fish need a tiny fraction of the food a dog does. No-one is going worry about 50p a week feeding their goldfish. A dog probably eats 100 times as much and few dog owners want to spend £50 a week on dog food.

these costs are similar though for both Dog food and Fish food ? in fact advertising much less for fish don't have many adverts on tv advertising fish food, loads for dog food (or at least loads from the last decade or two, mostly wonga types nowadays).

Koi carp can get pretty big.

I have never seen an advert for fish food on tv dog food cat food yes.

Have you ever seen an advert for bird food?

The answer to your question is that fish food is not dog food its as simple as that.

Because the pricing of a product has very little to do with the raw material cost these days. It's become almost completely disconnected.

They will be charging what they think people are willing to pay and how much they expect to sell.

Like everything else, buy it from ebay.

The commercial bulk packs of the same are cheap, and plenty of ebay sellers are willing to split them down.

I have never seen an advert for fish food on tv dog food cat food yes.

Have you ever seen an advert for bird food?

The answer to your question is that fish food is not dog food its as simple as that.

IIRC 'Trill' for budgies used to be advertised on TV in the 1970's.

I'm not even sure if Trill even exists today.

Feed your fish dog food? Get piranhas if your current fish die.

Piranhas aint cheap in the aquatics shop, plus i'd lose a finger knowing me :P

finely ground up dog pellet feed for the fish? worth investigating actually.. amount of protein and fats similar.

Guest eight

what is in fish food?

Harry the Squealer

Big Mouth McMillan

Joe the Grass.

I'm sure there were a few more too.

Harry the Squealer

Big Mouth McMillan

Joe the Grass.

I've been waiting patiently for an excuse, no matter how flimsy, to slip in a photo of Robert Maxwell since this thread started...

Harry the Squealer

Big Mouth McMillan

Joe the Grass.

I'll tee them up,you guys finish off with the punchlines...:D