House Price Crash Forum
officebum

Self Build

Hi i am a long time lurker who like just about everyone here is sick of the state of our housing market. Where i live in the west mids property is a lot cheaper than the south east but it is still way overpriced to what it should be worth if we didn't have so much intervention to keep prices high.

Been looking to buy for last 3 years but always disappointed by the houses in our price range most are ugly inter war semis that are poorly maintained. I would much prefer a modern house but only new builds here are in s**t areas and tend to be ur typical ugly barret rabbit hutch. Recently been thinking about self build, be interested to see what peoples thoughts are guess planning permission will be a complete nightmare for anything innovative. Always thought this was just for uber rich people in this country but came across this article for a house kit for under 50k, wont be to everyone's taste but is far more interesting than the new build s** we currently getting around here

http://www.selfbuildportal.org.uk/latest-news/236-low-cost-shoestring3

I once did a self build. It was in the 1980's so circumstances may have changed, but my guess is that self build fundamentals are still exactly the same,

1. Finding the right plot with planning permission is very, very hard. It gets a bit easier the higher up the price scale you go because it becomes viable to demolish and rebuild, but basically getting the plot is the number one constraint. You can look at the small adds in magazines like "Self Builder", but resign yourself to a very long search.

2. There may be cost savings if you do a lot of the work yourself and don't cost in your own time, but if you sub contract the work it's no cheaper than buying a house. You'd think it would be, but what I found (and talking to architects and planners they confirm that my experience was entirely typical) is that self builders always up the specs, so you end up with a better built house but no cost savings. I sold my self house a few years later (during the 1989-95 crash) and found the additional quality of construction didn't translate into a higher sale price, basically buyers and EA's just aren't interested, it's all down to location and number of bedrooms!

Eric Pickles: Brits must take inspiration from Grand Designs and become a nation of 'self-builders'

Britain must become a country where people take inspiration from television programmes like Grand Designs and build their own homes to stop Nimbys protesting about development in rural areas, Eric Pickles has suggested.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary said he will turn the UK into a “nation of self-builders” by offering subsidies and tax breaks to people who create their own home.

The UK must become like countries including Austria, Belgium and Sweden, which “reward” people who choose to build their own property, Mr Pickles said.

He said that helping tens of thousands of people to build their own homes will stop “homogeneous, pasteurised housing” being built across the country.

People in the countryside will then be much less likely to oppose custom built housing than larger developments and estates, Mr Pickles said.

Ministers want one in five homes built in the coming years to be self build projects – up from around 10 per cent last year.

Mr Pickles said that councils will be told to release land to residents hoping to build their own property.

He also said that the Government will reduce red tape so that people trying to build properties will not have to “bang their heads against walls” to get their project off the ground.

People looking to build their own home will be also be exempt from paying controversial planing tariffs and the ‘Community Infrastructure Levy’, which could cut the cost of self-building by thousands of pounds.

More at link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10377653/Eric-Pickles-Brits-must-take-inspiration-from-Grand-Designs-and-become-a-nation-of-self-builders.html

not a bad suggestion, would have to brave to be taking this kind of build on and not sure how you would get it past our beloved nimby police. I do think its about time we went beyond traditional bricks and mortar builds which aren't cheap or interesting. I am in a position to buy even though prices are still too high, but dont feel like overpaying for a traditional dull and dreary english semi. I reckon it will take at least another generation before mainstream builders are building something interesting on a regular basis so more and more considering a self build. If the govt are serious about self build and first time buyers why not provide cheap land for first time buyers to build their own houses with a fast-track planning system.

but then i am dreaming, whatever you vote next election all you will ever get in this country is the same old conservative status quo protection for the baby boomers. Always find it intersting that in the modern world we are innovating and driving continueous improvement, cars look nothing like they did even 20 years ago yet with housing we are so determined to rebuild the ancient past in horrible copies. Could you imagine if someone said cars had to always look like they did in the 50's!!!!

Been looking to buy for last 3 years but always disappointed by the houses in our price range most are ugly inter war semis that are poorly maintained. I would much prefer a modern house but only new builds here are in s**t areas and tend to be ur typical ugly barret rabbit hutch. Recently been thinking about self build, be interested to see what peoples thoughts are guess planning permission will be a complete nightmare for anything innovative. Always thought this was just for uber rich people in this country but came across this article for a house kit for under 50k, wont be to everyone's taste but is far more interesting than the new build s** we currently getting around here

http://www.selfbuild...ost-shoestring3

Interesting... and links on to the top 16 self-build on entries for awards.

http://www.nasba.org.uk/shoestring2013top16

I'm not going to get into build-plot costs, or planning permission, but I am more hopeful than most on such things easing. Or opportunities for fair value occurring for those who really stick with it.

It's the whole array of possible self-build options which confuses me the most... if you want a good-looking, well-constructed, insulated/warm, little-maintenance family home. A priority for me would be a house which could be put together quickly. None of this 2 year... 7 year time to build it.

And I don't mean mansion.. as so many people seem to think they should have mansions and a few acres of gardens. Just a humble type home, 3-4 bedrooms.

An innovative self build house – that utilises an incredibly low cost off-the-shelf agricultural barn structure to form the basic 'envelope' for the property – has won the top prize in the 'Self Build on a Shoestring' ideas competition. The two/three bedroom house that sits beneath this 'envelope' is very generously proportioned (100m2) and super insulated - yet costs just £41,000 to build.

A friend told me of a property-show he watched the other week, for self-builds. He was very taken with how these kit homes were all cut out on the site, and all slotted into position. I looked up the info at the website he told me about...

[bear in mind that construction costs for a typical (Venger is withholding company name) Home will cost between £1,700 - £2,200 per m2 plus professional fees, for those wanting to self build the build cost will be lower - around £1,500+ per m² plus fees]

Bring back the crash anyway. Prices and values are all about credit-velocity, including what people are prepared to borrow/pay. Very little to do with small island, limited planning permission.

This is quite interesting on Walter Segal in Lewisham

That looks like a wonderful place they built i suspect that because the people who built it were building homes not an investment to sell-on for a profit

It makes you wonder where it all went wrong

That looks like a wonderful place they built i suspect that because the people who built it were building homes not an investment to sell-on for a profit

It makes you wonder where it all went wrong

A money system that enabled the unrestrained creation of money ... the introduction of mortgages into home buying ... planning laws that restricted supply and resulted in only government and large companies, neither of of whom share the same interests as the people who actually live there, being able to build ... market price rises that lured the greedy rather than the residents ... and sigh

A money system that enabled the unrestrained creation of money ... the introduction of mortgages into home buying ... planning laws that restricted supply and resulted in only government and large companies, neither of of whom share the same interests as the people who actually live there, being able to build ... market price rises that lured the greedy rather than the residents ... and sigh

I think greed sums it up in one word