SarahBell

Answer To Fuel Bills Nightmare

Fuel bills will kill: Cost of rocketing energy prices will be measured in

lives needlessly lost

11 Oct 2013 08:58

Minister's fury as 10m hit by shock SSE announcement of 8% rise and hard-up

families in fear of other firms following with crippling gas and electricity

prices

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/energy-price-rises-see-winter-2359666

So what are the answers?

Better insulated homes? (Up until recently people were being given free loft and cavity wall insulation.)

Free boilers that are more energy efficient (Free if you're on benefits - in rented accommodation)

More appropriate homes that are more suited to occupants? (ie: Get people to downsize to homes they can afford to heat on a low income)

Build more energy efficient, better insulated homes so people don't need the heating on as much.

Or Twiddle with energy companies and their profits?

So what are the answers?

I would hazard a guess that energy use in all households must be far greater than when I grew up - so there is probably scope for energy efficiency for many in the squeezed middle. I expect there is little margin at the bottom.

1) invest in a mix of energy production - I know long-term planning is not any UK government's forte

2) don't say you will freeze energy prices

3) educate how to reduce personal home energy consumption

4) encourage much improved home insulation

Personal annoyance

5) don't expect to walk around in midwinter dressed for midsummer

Edited by LiveinHope

I would hazard a guess that energy use in all households must be far greater than when I grew up - so there is probably scope for energy efficiency for many in the squeezed middle. I expect there is little margin at the bottom.

1) invest in a mix of energy production - I know long-term planning is not any UK government's forte

Personal annoyance

cut all green subsidies and ask US Westinghouse to build their AP1000 rectors here in UK:

http://www.leabrook.co.uk/nuclear/nuc-lib/reactor-reports/index_files/AP1000-article.pdf

It, therefore, embarked on the development of the AP1000,which applies economies of scale to passive safety plants to reduce the cost per kWh to about 3.0 to 3.5¢.kWh

Personal annoyance

I'm guessing the much improved home insulation helps if you can afford to actually have the heating on. Some might just not have it on at all.

yes 5) i'm with you there big time.

Personal annoyance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/8980982/Greener-energy-will-cost-4600-each-a-year.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/7913610/Energy-revolution-could-put-bills-up-by-a-third.html

Fill the oven before cooking....only boil the water you need....turn off heating in any unused room or get a lodger.

Build a snug inside, thick curtains and carpets and insulate yourself in thick clothing and blankets, get a lap cat or dog, don't venture out without a woolly hat. ;)

Edited by winkie

cut all green subsidies and ask US Westinghouse to build their AP1000 rectors here in UK:

http://www.leabrook....000-article.pdf

It, therefore, embarked on the development of the AP1000,which applies economies of scale to passive safety plants to reduce the cost per kWh to about 3.0 to 3.5¢.kWh

It was Ed Milliband (in his time at Energy) who introduced the green levies.

Bloody Hypocrite....

Start rationing electricity! Nobody needs more than 6hrs a day.

WWII-food-rationing-poster.jpg

Bit of a bonkers suggestion!

Tax profits that are not re-invested in the distribution infrastructure at a penal rate. Multiply that amount by the increase in directors and executives salary and pension increases.

Or, allow a fixed amount of free energy per capita and a progressive scale of energy prices. Make these personal allowances tradeable.

Someone has short memories.

Keeping a house warm is ridiculously cheap by any historic standard. I've never paid as much as £100 in a year for gas, yet can keep the house warmer than when I was a lad.

Someone has short memories.

Keeping a house warm is ridiculously cheap by any historic standard. I've never paid as much as £100 in a year for gas, yet can keep the house warmer than when I was a lad.

I suppose that's true, if you dont ever let it get below zero indoors...

I suppose that's true, if you dont ever let it get below zero indoors...

I recently found some old leccy bills from 25 years ago.

Adjusted for inflation, current energy costs are about 35% lower than they were then.

I recently found some old leccy bills from 25 years ago.

Adjusted for inflation, current energy costs are about 35% lower than they were then.

Indeed. Of course the real reason people moan about energy being too costly is because housing costs are so high and they have less money spare for the bills!

We should try to source our domestic energy from our own resources.

Whenever the prices go up its up, its blamed on higher global prices.

We need to create a mix of supplies and aim for efficiency and always ensure it benefits our own domestic industries.

Start rationing electricity! Nobody needs more than 6hrs a day.

WWII-food-rationing-poster.jpg

Don't give Cameron any more ideas - "Well i think it's right that we should ration electricity and gas, it's the right thing to do so that hardworking families and strivers get a fair share."

Fuel bills will kill: Cost of rocketing energy prices will be measured in

lives needlessly lost

11 Oct 2013 08:58

Minister's fury as 10m hit by shock SSE announcement of 8% rise and hard-up

families in fear of other firms following with crippling gas and electricity

prices

http://www.mirror.co...-winter-2359666

So what are the answers?

Better insulated homes? (Up until recently people were being given free loft and cavity wall insulation.)

Free boilers that are more energy efficient (Free if you're on benefits - in rented accommodation)

More appropriate homes that are more suited to occupants? (ie: Get people to downsize to homes they can afford to heat on a low income)

Build more energy efficient, better insulated homes so people don't need the heating on as much.

Or Twiddle with energy companies and their profits?

I pay for my rent about 8 times more than for the energies per month. I can reduce my rent significantly if I can buy a builidng plot for the price of farm land. In this case I will insalate my house so much I will not care about energy prices at all. Plus they are same as in the rest of West EU.

I pay for my rent about 8 times more than for the energies per month. I can reduce my rent significantly if I can buy a builidng plot for the price of farm land. In this case I will insalate my house so much I will not care about energy prices at all. Plus they are same as in the rest of West EU.

Landlords have a lower incentive to make their houses energy efficient. They also have a strong incentive to replace gas heating with electric heating.

Of course, this doesn't affect the headline cost per unit of energy, but it does mean a lot of people are paying far more than they need.

True but a meaningless statistic to anyone under 40.

True. But my rather oblique point was that it isn't energy that's expensive these days. It's housing, taxes, and education (and debt interest).

Put an immigrant on the fire?

Failing that, do what I do - go down the Sports direct and buy some of those god awful fluffy plastic jumpers.

Wear one inside when it gets cold - heat your body not the house FFS!

Seriously - and avoiding the whole penny pinching obsessive - people are nuts about putting their heating on.

Was thinking of kitting out my flat with Celotex foam insulation board on the ceiling and walls, snag is four pensioners stacked on the floors above me would die of cold.