House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

A Shed Holiday Home Makes Owner Over £3K A Month

Isn't this all a bit like "all plumbers are on £100k" which you read now and again.

Me and partner often rent a holiday home/cottage (well once a year roughly) normally costs between £250-£350 for a place that sleeps 2-4 people. not in peak season though.

edit: has the reporter just taken the highest peak price and x52 it ? a lot of places only rent 40-70% of the time i've heard.

Edited by motch

The one on the cliff said he had planning permission, I wonder if the woman who did her garage up did so and had a change of use applied for?

We see time and time again on this site where some bozo has done up a shed in London and tries to rent it without planning permission

But now the income from the renovated garage, called Turtledove Hideaway in Shropshire, pays the £300,000 mortgage on her 136-acre estate - and more.

Comedy Gold Britain

They always quote some incredible rate for holiday homes while neglecting to add that this is high season rate and is probably for only a max of a few weeks a year.

This woman must know a lot of junior bankers.

She's got media contacts which helps, and I've nothing against people networking hard, legally, to try and make success of themselves.

She spent just £10,000 turning a roofless, disused garage at her house in Shropshire into a £3,200 a month retreat. The 46-year-old had found herself struggling to pay the bills and her large mortgage. But now the income from the renovated garage, called Turtledove Hideaway in Shropshire, pays the £300,000 mortgage on her 136-acre estate - and more.

However I'm reading a possible alternative view to the 'good-times' of the DM's story with the shed holiday home making double what her mortgage is. Looks like there's another holiday cottage they have on the site as well, or rooms from the main house.

http://www.theinteri...erooms-co-uk/33

Thus the shed and other guest accommodation: http://www.woodfarmh...e_Hideaway.html

The address/more pics from Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvis...re_England.html or better, Late Rooms as it confirms same name as in DM story.

A look at sold prices on the postcode... only one Wood Farm. Only question is whether Wood Farm same as Wood Farm House? Sometimes there can be two properties in very same postcode similarly named.

Wood Farm bought for £600,000 in 2008. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=POSTCODE^1394852&searchLocation=SY13+2LQ&referrer=landingPage

Listed again for sale, with Zoopla having an archived listing from November 2012 (with details of guest accom / holiday cottage), although nothing in it about 100+ acres. http://www.zoopla.co...13-2lq/17873278

I'm calling Bull*** on all the financial figures in the DM article.

Not only an advertorial for a holiday let, but a puff-piece for an apparently talentless 'interior designer' too. The interior is bland and beige. I bet her interior design business doesn't make much either (which is why she gave up on it being a showroom and rents it out instead).

I expect she makes closer to £10,000 a year than £100,000 from it, when occupancy levels, off-season rates, and the genuine rental prices are worked out.

I'm calling Bull*** on all the financial figures in the DM article.

Not only an advertorial for a holiday let, but a puff-piece for an apparently talentless 'interior designer' too. The interior is bland and beige. I bet her interior design business doesn't make much either (which is why she gave up on it being a showroom and rents it out instead).

I expect she makes closer to £10,000 a year than £100,000 from it, when occupancy levels, off-season rates, and the genuine rental prices are worked out.

indeed, there's absolutely tons of places to rent throughout the year, anyone with a decent location and appropriate buildings can do this anyway. there is money to be made, but you'd have to put some time/effort/money into it somehow.