House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbonic

Youtube Videos - How Best To Make Them?

I've just had a go at putting together a 3.5 min video made of still photos with captions, and a few short video clips, all from my compact camera (it's of a notable walk). I'd never done it before and used the pretty good (for 1st timers) and free Windows Movie Maker.

Trouble is that the vid is about 85mb/min and looks HD, so took ages to upload - I assume it'll also take ages to download and view as well. I also got a YouTube warning that streaming wasn't enabled for it.

Anybody done this before and would be willing to share which tools and settings they used?

I also needed a soundtrack, so I stuck an old 70s Human League track onto it - and got an email warning that EMI owned the copyright saying "Your video "A Big walk", may have content that is owned or licensed by EMI, but it's still available on YouTube! In some cases, it may be blocked or ads may appear next to it.". Record co's seem to want $100 or more to soundtrack a 'what I did on my holidays' YouTube vid. So I guess I need copyright-free music as well. Windows Movie Maker points me at Free Music Archive and Vimeo, which are full of garbage, but I suppose I'll have to grind through it till I find a free creative commons licensed soundtrack.

Unless someone already has a list of really good free songs tongue.gif.

NB: The YT vid is not public at the moment, I want to get it right before I unleash it upon an unsuspecting world...

I've just had a go at putting together a 3.5 min video made of still photos with captions, and a few short video clips, all from my compact camera (it's of a notable walk). I'd never done it before and used the pretty good (for 1st timers) and free Windows Movie Maker.

Trouble is that the vid is about 85mb/min and looks HD, so took ages to upload - I assume it'll also take ages to download and view as well. I also got a YouTube warning that streaming wasn't enabled for it.

Anybody done this before and would be willing to share which tools and settings they used?

I also needed a soundtrack, so I stuck an old 70s Human League track onto it - and got an email warning that EMI owned the copyright saying "Your video "A Big walk", may have content that is owned or licensed by EMI, but it's still available on YouTube! In some cases, it may be blocked or ads may appear next to it.". Record co's seem to want $100 or more to soundtrack a 'what I did on my holidays' YouTube vid. So I guess I need copyright-free music as well. Windows Movie Maker points me at Free Music Archive and Vimeo, which are full of garbage, but I suppose I'll have to grind through it till I find a free creative commons licensed soundtrack.

Unless someone already has a list of really good free songs tongue.gif.

NB: The YT vid is not public at the moment, I want to get it right before I unleash it upon an unsuspecting world...

Youtube should compress it for you, so it won't be a big download. The "streaming" setting when you construct the file for upload simply means that when YT compresses it for download, it's not as high quality as it could have been.

As for the music, it's my understanding that Youtube offers the record labels different options - they can choose to have their tracks auto-detected and deleted, or they can have their tracks auto-detected and then have ads put on those vids and the record labels get the ad revenue. Looks like that's what happened in your case.

The university I used to teach at had an internal equivalent of YouTube (i.e. it was only available on campus and via the VPN), which could be used to stream off-air recorded stuff under the ERA licence. I made edited video clips regularly, both to show as part of lectures and then to put online for students to review afterwards, using Adobe Premiere (CS3 initially, and then they upgraded us to CS6). I was very impressed with it as a piece of software: the basic timeline editing functions are reasonably intuitive and simple to learn, and it can render out to pretty much any format you like: a DVD image, a YT-compatible H.264 file, you name it.

The down side is cost: I believe that Premiere alone is £500ish, while the full suite is four figures.

Youtube should compress it for you, so it won't be a big download. The "streaming" setting when you construct the file for upload simply means that when YT compresses it for download, it's not as high quality as it could have been.

As for the music, it's my understanding that Youtube offers the record labels different options - they can choose to have their tracks auto-detected and deleted, or they can have their tracks auto-detected and then have ads put on those vids and the record labels get the ad revenue. Looks like that's what happened in your case.

I've just had a look at it on YT and the original does seem to have been automatically compressed, and to a quite reasonable quality by their algorithms, so that it views ok without too much buffering (we have a crappy copper broadband connection at home).

As for the soundtrack, the YT info says it's been blocked in 'certain territories' because it uses a Human League track owned by EMI. I did find some half decent folky style backing music that I could customise to the right length on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/musicstore/customizable/page:1/sort:index/sort_dir:asc?tokens= at $20. I could use that and hope that it makes $20 back in ad clicks? Or just treat it as the cost of vanity publishing my video. It'd be cool to have Being Boiled as the soundtrack, but I'm very unlikely to make back the $100 it'd cost.

I'm also looking at using YTs swap the audio track feature to get a legit free soundtrack ( https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/94316?hl=en&ref_topic=3014750 )