House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Malala And The Nobel Prize

To be announced shortly.

IMO she should win it, because nothing in recent times has highlighted the futility of terrorism more than her ordeal. Sure she is a pawn in the hands of the West and may look like even more of a pawn is she wins.

But that is not to take away her courage in recovery like some latter day Joan of Arc.

Not normally in favour of gongs to people who have barely started out in life...but on this occasion I would make an exception.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24485566

To be announced shortly.

IMO she should win it, because nothing in recent times has highlighted the futility of terrorism more than her ordeal. Sure she is a pawn in the hands of the West and may look like even more of a pawn is she wins.

But that is not to take away her courage in recovery like some latter day Joan of Arc.

Not normally in favour of gongs to people who have barely started out in life...but on this occasion I would make an exception.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24485566

Well, seeing how Barack Obama won it for simply not being George W Bush, then nothing would surprise me.

Well, seeing how Barack Obama won it for simply not being George W Bush, then nothing would surprise me.

Indeed he got it after being in office for five minutes.

I suppose you could equally say Malala has just started out. But I'm guessing her stand for equal rights for girls has had more impact already then many people who have dedicated their whole lives to the issue.

I'm guessing they will not give it to her on the basis that it hasn't been a lifetime of work. But she has borne terrible physical consequences for her stand.

Guest eight

Indeed he got it after being in office for five minutes.

I suppose you could equally say Malala has just started out. But I'm guessing her stand for equal rights for girls has had more impact already then many people who have dedicated their whole lives to the issue.

I'm guessing they will not give it to her on the basis that it hasn't been a lifetime of work. But she has borne terrible physical consequences for her stand.

I doubt anybody has ever been more successful at being emphatically and demonstrably proved correct.

Chemical weapons watchdog OPCW wins Nobel Peace Prize 2013

WTF?

The whole Noble Prize for Peace is a joke isn't it.

Probably didn't want to offend any fundamentalist women-hating muslims?

Wasn't Barack Obama awarded it? The person who went on to authorize drone strikes on American citizens in Pakistan?

Its shocking what happened to her. Its great she is getting better.

However i find her extremely irritating and condescending.

<stands back and wonders if anyone else agrees lol>

Nobel Peace prize is a joke. It's sent from Norway, despite Nobel being Swedish.

Not sure what he was thinking there but he might have had the foresight to see what a travesty it would become after his death.

Al Gore?

Obama?

Syria chemical weapons inspection team WHAT.

It's really easy to stand on the sidelines and criticise someone who tried to do something and almost pay for it with her life.

Very brave girl IMO and I'd sooner see her get publicity than some manufactured Sleb nonentity.

Malala is an angel however she's a pawn in the hands of the West, the corrupt Pakistani state and her own dad. This guy should get the reward for the world's pushiest parent. She wasn't even the original choice for her blog: the original writer who was several years older pulled out as her parents convinced her of the dangers, Malala 's father sensed an opportunity and even though she was several years younger thrust her into the eye of the storm. Although the original blog was anonymous her father decided to abandon anonymity when approached by a New York Times journalist. At the time Malala wanted to become a Dr. but her father convinced her that her future lies in politics (as if the world needs more Pakistani politicians, the last female one they had had become completely corrupted by the state). He then aligned himself with US based PR agencies, took a job with Gordon Brown (a man on a mission to save the world's children after single handedly destroying the aspirations of the youth in this country) and steered her towards a valuable narrative for the West - he certainly knows which side his bread is buttered. Initial universal condemnation and disgust at the shooting in Pakistan, including a fatwa against the shooting has now evolved into some of the most ludicrous conspiracy theories however some of the concerns are valid notably her fathers alignment with Asif Ali Zardari, former Pakistani PM and sleazy mafioso and complete lack of condemnation of instability caused by the US occupation and drone attacks, something that even Karzai has now admitted after 12 years. The narrative is very carefully selected and woven with a massive PR operation behind it, and no surprises her old man has done very very well!

There's precedence here. Google Greg Mortenson and Three Cups of Deceit. Todays educationalist heros can quickly become tomorrow's villains.

BTW the Nobel peace prize has become a joke, didn't deserve her, hope she's allowed to escape the media grip and realise her true potential.

Malala is an angel however she's a pawn in the hands of the West, the corrupt Pakistani state and her own dad. This guy should get the reward for the world's pushiest parent. She wasn't even the original choice for her blog: the original writer who was several years older pulled out as her parents convinced her of the dangers, Malala 's father sensed an opportunity and even though she was several years younger thrust her into the eye of the storm. Although the original blog was anonymous her father decided to abandon anonymity when approached by a New York Times journalist. At the time Malala wanted to become a Dr. but her father convinced her that her future lies in politics (as if the world needs more Pakistani politicians, the last female one they had had become completely corrupted by the state). He then aligned himself with US based PR agencies, took a job with Gordon Brown (a man on a mission to save the world's children after single handedly destroying the aspirations of the youth in this country) and steered her towards a valuable narrative for the West - he certainly knows which side his bread is buttered. Initial universal condemnation and disgust at the shooting in Pakistan, including a fatwa against the shooting has now evolved into some of the most ludicrous conspiracy theories however some of the concerns are valid notably her fathers alignment with Asif Ali Zardari, former Pakistani PM and sleazy mafioso and complete lack of condemnation of instability caused by the US occupation and drone attacks, something that even Karzai has now admitted after 12 years. The narrative is very carefully selected and woven with a massive PR operation behind it, and no surprises her old man has done very very well!

There's precedence here. Google Greg Mortenson and Three Cups of Deceit. Todays educationalist heros can quickly become tomorrow's villains.

BTW the Nobel peace prize has become a joke, didn't deserve her, hope she's allowed to escape the media grip and realise her true potential.

I really, really, really want to believe in her story but the whole thing has gone so hollywood and OTT now I have na itch to reach for a TFH. The vibe I get is 'Old Shoe' and the Albanian Girl with the kitten in Wag the Dog.

I'm a passionate believer in the rights of every child to have an education so if this is a sham there's no harm done. But is it more about making us not feel less bad when we drone bomb civilians to take out a few Taliban?

I am in Norway right now. The next person who sells me a pint for a fiver deserves a Nobel peace prize.

It's really easy to stand on the sidelines and criticise someone who tried to do something and almost pay for it with her life.

Very brave girl IMO and I'd sooner see her get publicity than some manufactured Sleb nonentity.

I am not trying to criticise the girl. She seems absolutely brilliant.

However i just find her annoying. That's all. I don't think that will stop her getting a Nobel prize though. Didn't stop that **** Obama.

All teenagers are irritating and condescending arent they?!

Even if she's not wearing the whole ninja get up, I still find her railing about islamic extremism whilst wearing the headscarf of oppression irritating. Do us a favour love. We gave you safety and spent thousands on fixing you, the least you can do is dress in western clothes when you are in the west.

Yes, brave young lady. I think she would win it but, alas, I think it will make her more of a target for all the fecked up women hating men in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I can't see how it would make things any worse for her tbh, she was hated in those countries before we'd even heard of her from what I've read. Shame she didn't get it, maybe next year?

However i just find her annoying. That's all. I don't think that will stop her getting a Nobel prize though. Didn't stop that **** Obama.

Of course she's annoying, she's a 16 year old girl who's more articulate in her second (or possible even 3rd) language than most adults are in their first language. Precocious kids are always annoying (think William Hague)! She gave Obama what-for on drones though, can't fault her on that.

I am in Norway right now. The next person

who sells me a pint for a fiver deserves a Nobel peace prize.

;)

A pint will cost you eight quid in Norway!

We, a group of Pakistani journalists, saw her walking into Sharif’s hotel with her father and former British prime minister, Gordon Brown. We asked her to stop. She did.

I told her that I had recently visited her hometown in Swat. She wanted to talk but Mr Brown intervened. She had signed a contract with her publishers and could not give interviews before her book was published.

We did not want an interview. We just wanted to talk to her but she was not allowed to do so. This obviously is not normal for a teenager.

http://dawn.com/news/1049205/did-malala-ever-wish-to-be-a-boy

Yes, I agree.

Although it is probably not down to her, but down to the way she is being used as a propaganda tool.

I do however think she would make a suitable Nobel P1ss PRize winner. Exactly the sort of distorted representative of the West's twisted notion of 'Peace', which is analogous to Western hegemony of foreign cultures, not to mention cultural arrogance. If Muslim men in Muslim lands want to have their women chained to the kitchen sink and give them a good beating before and after mass on a Friday (or wotever the Muslim equivalent is), this has absolutely nothing to do with us. And if even for the pain in the ass mealy mouthed folks out there who think it is something we should intervene in, 'Equal Rights for Wimmin' is pretty damn far from being the modus operandi of US/Nato presence in the Middle East.