House Price Crash Forum

'significant' Job Losses Expected At Swansea Council

HOLA441

I am posting this in the main forum as I wish to get some feedback from the HPCers. Looks like the 2008 crisis and 'austerity' is finally coming to Swansea.

But surely all this means is that anyone being fired or given redundancy will also get a pay off - the higher paid people could result in sizeable pay-offs and pension paid up surely?

SIGNIFICANT job losses are expected at Swansea Council as part of a major cost-cutting plan.

Council chiefs stressed they would explore "every avenue possible" ahead of making any compulsory redundancies.

The authority needs to save £45 million over the next three years, as previously reported in the Post.

No figure has been put on how many jobs might go, and the Labour administration said it wanted its workforce to shrink via early retirements and voluntary redundancies.

Read more: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Significant-job-losses-expected-Swansea-Council/story-19920647-detail/story.html?afterReg=Y#ixzz2hPEuakxm

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Loads of payoffs and then people being reemployed as contractors.

Will that save them money over the longer-term?.......news that dyson and jaeger are bringing production back to the UK because labour is now so much cheaper/competitive and we can do it so much better..... :blink:

HOLA445

Will that save them money over the longer-term?.......news that dyson and jaeger are bringing production back to the UK because labour is now so much cheaper/competitive and we can do it so much better..... :blink:

The raspberry computer is now being built in the Sony Bridgend plant because it is cheaper than China. I know of one major IT outsourcer who located in Wales because the bosses worked out that it was cheaper than hiring staff in Bangalore.

Actually, you make a good point about Swansea Council - will they have the money to re-hire people as contractors?

HOLA446
HOLA447

It isn't just Swansea council.

The government have basically killed local authorities. They've shifted a lot of extra cost onto them, reduced their income (the vast majority of local government money comes from central gov not council tax), and changed the rules so that any income they do generate gets creamed off by central gov.

I've seen breakdowns of council funding and they are completely screwed. I've seen figures where even eliminating 100% of staffing costs would still see them unsustainable.

HOLA448

I've seen breakdowns of council funding and they are completely screwed. I've seen figures where even eliminating 100% of staffing costs would still see them unsustainable.

Pensions?

HOLA449

The government have basically killed local authorities. They've shifted a lot of extra cost onto them, reduced their income (the vast majority of local government money comes from central gov not council tax), and changed the rules so that any income they do generate gets creamed off by central gov.

They should have just bought RM shares.

HOLA4410

I personally think that Swansea Council has been the prime mover in running down the local eonomy for many years now - digging up and changing the road layout of Swansea seems to be one massive job creation scheme for the Highways Department. There have been times when entire areas of shops have been almost impossible to get to - almost crucifying the shops financially.

At the same time the parking charges just go out of control - parking being seen as a cash cow which then jsut reduced people going to the city centre which, in turn, has helped to kill off loads of small shops IMPO.

I can't see them squeezing any more out of the above but no doubt they will try.

I think they are close to being in the situation where they keep the jobs but cut the services so that the Council runs like some form of state-legalised mafiosa - you pay council tax to keep the workers in jobs but not doing anything.

HOLA4411

Pensions?

Not really although it will be an issue in the future for some authorities.

Main problem they face is the income is going down (huge cuts, like 30%-40% of income from central government) and the costs sky rocketing.

We have an ageing population, councils have to pay for care costs when people get below the savings threshold (roughly £23k). You are talking £1k a week for a dementia patient who might live 3 or 4 years.

One district council I know of has a £60m income.

£35m goes on Housing Benefit (and they get £34m of this paid by central gov)

£20m on staffing

£5m on materials/equipment

Their share of the council tax brings in about £15m and central gov grant is about £12m so they were breaking even.

Then central gov cuts grant to £8m (after initially saying it would be cut to £10m)

So they suddenly have to find £4m.

Got rid of 10% of staff and cut wage bill by £2m

Still £2m short and Gov says "well you've already proven you can save money so that new homes bonus money we promised you (and that you are relying on) can come to central gov instead"

So more and more savings are required.

Councils will go bust within the next couple of years.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

perhaps they could be shut-down ala US. then see who really needs their help

HOLA4414

Not really although it will be an issue in the future for some authorities.

Main problem they face is the income is going down (huge cuts, like 30%-40% of income from central government) and the costs sky rocketing.

We have an ageing population, councils have to pay for care costs when people get below the savings threshold (roughly £23k). You are talking £1k a week for a dementia patient who might live 3 or 4 years.

One district council I know of has a £60m income.

£35m goes on Housing Benefit (and they get £34m of this paid by central gov)

£20m on staffing

£5m on materials/equipment

Their share of the council tax brings in about £15m and central gov grant is about £12m so they were breaking even.

Then central gov cuts grant to £8m (after initially saying it would be cut to £10m)

So they suddenly have to find £4m.

Got rid of 10% of staff and cut wage bill by £2m

Still £2m short and Gov says "well you've already proven you can save money so that new homes bonus money we promised you (and that you are relying on) can come to central gov instead"

Councils have tight budgets and they have been forced to start to think about how to save money instead of spending and wasting it as in the past...council taxes are already too high imo.

Instead of saying will be paying £1k per week for care costs or £35 million on housing benefit....have they asked themselves why a week in a care home is costing £1k how can that be justified, and they have shot themselves in the foot by forever saying yes to paying increasing housing benefits to landlords.....two areas where they could save money if they did things differently. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

They should have just bought RM shares.

..or bought property

Kirklees will be alright though. Its a bit like Bannatynes gym empire. with sports centres, pools, personal trainers, and the 'day to day' Council stuff run as a sideline.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4417

+1

Similar story here in Liverpool. I estimate that around 1/5 - 1/4 of the population of Liverpool work for the national government and with job cuts and wage freezes that will mean less council tax being raised over the coming years.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Looks like Carmarthen Council is having similar problems.

'Hundreds' of posts likely to go, warns county authority

HUNDREDS more jobs will be lost at Carmarthenshire Council, its leaders have warned.

The authority is bracing itself for cuts in the region of £25 to £30 million next week.

Welsh Government Finance Minister Jane Hutt has revealed cuts for councils in her draft budget which will see local government spending fall from £4.648 billion this year to £4.466 billion next year.

"Again, it is not possible yet to say exactly how many jobs will have to go to balance the budget," he said. "It is inevitable however that many hundreds of jobs will be lost, as we make these huge reductions to our budget.

Letters have been sent out offering redundancy and early retirement and of course this would impact on any decisions on numbers of jobs that might have to be lost."

Read more: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Hundreds-posts-likely-warns-county-authority/story-19920664-detail/story.html#ixzz2hPhTEjf0

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

And if the locals can`t/won`t pay?

I think this is what we are seeing already bearing in mind the news story today about councils taking people to court for not paying the council tax.

Bringing this firmly back to HPC, I can see Councils only looking to screw home owners even more in the years ahead with council tax increases.

HOLA4423

I think this is what we are seeing already bearing in mind the news story today about councils taking people to court for not paying the council tax.

Bringing this firmly back to HPC, I can see Councils only looking to screw home owners even more in the years ahead with council tax increases.

It's the occupant, not the owner who pays council tax. Wrong but true.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425