House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Inside The £1 House: First Person To Buy Under Derelict Homes Scheme Finally Gets The Keys

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450958/Inside-1-house-First-person-buy-derelict-homes-scheme-finally-gets-keys--theres-just-35-000-work-live-it.html

Taxi driver Jayalal Madde, 48, is the first applicant to pick up the keys

He is now responsible with bringing the run down up to standard

Refurbishment in each of the pilot homes is likely to cost £35,000

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said he was 'delighted' at the milestone

The city council's pilot scheme to sell 20 of its properties for £1 each aims to bring life back into deserted neighbourhoods

while they spend a year making their terraced house in Cairns Street, Granby, habitable.

Have they overpaid for the area it's in?

http://www.rightmove...y-40699868.html

this looks bigger at £40k, needs work though.

I have no idea of what areas are good or bad in Liverpool. However I've spent the odd day there and noticed loads of terraced housing empty on a main road in, loads of them, about 4 or 5 years ago. Plus was driving around an area and loads of perfectly decent looking terraced housing just empty.

: another one at similar price in better condition http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41202176.html

Edited by motch

I guess the idea is that a sudden influx of working people with an interest in refurbishing their own place might kick start some level of gentrification.

Far better than leaving the places empty.

I live in Liverpool. If it is the area I am thinking of it is called Toxteth and it is fine. Not that much trouble anymore really.

The local government has really been screwed over though. If the houses had been redeveloped at the time (as many people argued for) rather than boarding them up and letting them stew for years they would probably be now worth over £80,000 I would have thought. Not to mention that the rest of the housing stock in Liverpool increased in price during the time as so many properties were taken off the market.

http://www.rightmove...y-40699868.html

I have no idea of what areas are good or bad in Liverpool. However I've spent the odd day there and noticed loads of terraced housing empty on a main road in, loads of them, about 4 or 5 years ago. Plus was driving around an area and loads of perfectly decent looking terraced housing just empty.

Its a bad area. I enjoyed 3 years in Liverpool, liked the people and the city and the surrounding coast. But Granby (a part of Toxteth) is as bad as it gets, really. Toxteth is patchy; OK in selected places, leafy indeed in a few streets, but this is the part you don't want to drive through late at night and have a car breakdown. Down and outs, feral kids, crime. Its the epicentre of the Liverpool riots from a few years ago.

It's good that the houses are being offered up like this - rather than just Pathfindered to destruction like they did to Edge Lane (that main road in) and bits of Smithdown Road - but I would not say they are a bargain at £1 with £40k of refurbishment needed to make them habitable. These houses are probably only profitable quickly in the hands of slumlords who rent out to DSS - no student will go near the area, its not family friendly or young professional orientated. Anyone who buys now for £1, lives there and refurbishes the house while benefitting from regeneration of the area over time deserves their capital gain for the hastle and risk.

Its important to understand that Liverpool is a depopulating city. Its completely lost its status as the British Empire's primary port and so hasn't the jobs or the prospects it did, but still has the housing stock from that golden era when it was probably 3 times as populated. So there are lots of spare terraced houses all needing total modernisation. Selling them off for £1 for a chance of regeneration is better than the bulldozer, I guess, but I still wonder who will there be to live in them.

Mr Madde’s home is structurally sound but needs to be converted from two flats as well as new wiring, plumbing, windows and flooring.

Is he not going to live in it himself?

And I think I used to work for Joe Anderson.

Edited by SarahBell

I've been living in Toxteth for 13 years, half a minutes walk to Granby. My area is known locally as 'The Front Line' and I sometimes refer to it as the posh end of muggers alley. :)

Actually it's pretty cool. After the 80's riots Tarzan got loads of cash shipped in and the place got a rebirth. Granby had been a police no-go area and what they did post riot was to ship out a load of tenants. Hardly any shops open on Granby now, it's like a ghost street. The area still has a bit of a bad rep due to its history but those living here like it. It is so so diverse that everybody is part of a minority and good manners are the norm rather than the exception.

Cairns Street would have been bulldozed years ago if not for the determined efforts of a handful of old ladies that live there. They have a market day once a month, some of the tinned up houses have windows and curtains painted on them. Tiny patches of soil in front of empty houses have been cultivated as have large wooden flower beds on the pavement. iirc there's a picnic table too. Home ownership by those prepared to renovate their property can only be a good thing imo as although a small community, they really are a strong community.

Things change. Where I grew up, Litherland in North Liverpool is now a hell hole due to virtually feral kids roaming the streets. 'Beirut' is the current nickname for one street there.

Anfield used to be ok but is dire now. No idea what Vauxhall used to be like but it is now as bad as Toxteth used to be.

I think I'll wander over later and get some pics to post.

Mr Madde’s home is structurally sound but needs to be converted from two flats as well as new wiring, plumbing, windows and flooring.

It says converted FROM two flats, not into two flats.

I think he is going to convert it back into a house and live in it with his family

Pretty sure that living there for at least 5 years is one of the stipulations for getting it.

When they were giving houses in Middlesbrough away for 50p each I did idly think about buying an entire row of houses and making a super house with a bowling alley in it (knocking through the walls of several houses. But you could only buy one house (and would have to spend too much on security to make it worth it! Not to mention having to live in Middlesbrough.

This is probably a good idea, in terms of reviving a dead neighbourhood, and giving a few people a fantastic opportunity. And requiring them to put in some real time, effort and money should help select for motivated and hardworking folks - at least in theory.

At the same time, it raises questions. Who decides the fortunate few who get the houses - a sure corruption-magnet? What policy drives it: for example, do they push for a cohesive community or a diverse one? What happens if someone with no intention of playing by the rules slips through the net and gets in, and lets the hardworking down?

According to the rules he has to live there for 5 years and not rent out, but perhaps a loophole is to split into two flats, live in one and rent out the other.

EDIT: Okay, see Bear Necessities post above.

Edited by Eddie_George

This is probably a good idea, in terms of reviving a dead neighbourhood, and giving a few people a fantastic opportunity. And requiring them to put in some real time, effort and money should help select for motivated and hardworking folks - at least in theory.

At the same time, it raises questions. Who decides the fortunate few who get the houses - a sure corruption-magnet? What policy drives it: for example, do they push for a cohesive community or a diverse one? What happens if someone with no intention of playing by the rules slips through the net and gets in, and lets the hardworking down?

You would be surprised at just how few people are up for this sort of thing.

We are just completing a self build complete renovation in London for an HA in return for our tenancy - it was hard to get takers for the group, people dropped out, and in the end there is just 3 of us who stayed the course doing 2 flats. There are 2 more to be completed (we split the group to cut out the ones who just didn't work making them solely resposible for these 2) but they are just sitting there. It's so annoying to watch people throw opportunities like this away :(

As John51 has alluded to above there are plenty of ropey areas of Liverpool but Toxteth seems to gets recognised nationally following the riots in the 80s. Obviously they are long gone now but I still wouldn't walk round there late at night! The problem seems to be that there are scalls everywhere in their Ninja outfits, Toxteth, Anfield, Everton, Scotland Road, Bootle, Seaforth, Kirkdale, Norris Green, Croxteth and I imagine plenty more south of the city centre!

I'm no expert but I'd guess the smaller houses in these less than salubrious areas would probably sell for anything between £30,000-£60,000+ so maybe the £1 plus improvements isn't a bad price if you are happy to live there. I imagine (hope!) the people getting into the homes are looking at building a community in these streets which would hopefully make them a bit more livable in the long term!

As John51 has alluded to above there are plenty of ropey areas of Liverpool but Toxteth seems to gets recognised nationally following the riots in the 80s. Obviously they are long gone now but I still wouldn't walk round there late at night! The problem seems to be that there are scalls everywhere in their Ninja outfits, Toxteth, Anfield, Everton, Scotland Road, Bootle, Seaforth, Kirkdale, Norris Green, Croxteth and I imagine plenty more south of the city centre!

I'm no expert but I'd guess the smaller houses in these less than salubrious areas would probably sell for anything between £30,000-£60,000+ so maybe the £1 plus improvements isn't a bad price if you are happy to live there. I imagine (hope!) the people getting into the homes are looking at building a community in these streets which would hopefully make them a bit more livable in the long term!

every time one of those property programs were on (not HUTH) a few years ago in these areas the gas boiler and copper would get nicked overnight whilst doing them up, thats a couple of grands worth.

You would be surprised at just how few people are up for this sort of thing.

The council got thousands of applications. One woman wanted to buy a particular house as it was her childhood home. Her husband is a builder so shouldn't be a problem doing the refit.

afaik, the allocations were made by lottery.

Are there any cities where it is safe to be out alone in the poor areas in the middle of the night?

Can anyone help me wrt loading pics?