House Price Crash Forum
sombreroloco

Thousands From Us And Uk On German Benefits

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20131009-52315.html

Thousands of British and American expats in Germany are living off unemployment benefit as calls to restrict payments to “welfare migrants” grow louder.

Although Eastern Europeans are often the target of politicians wishing to cut benefits to foreigners, The Local has found thousands of Americans and Brits also reliant on German benefits.

But unemployment claimants in Germany spoke of the difficulty of getting benefits as a result of the bureaucracy. One described the process of claiming unemployment benefits as “almost a job in itself”.

Figures released to The Local by the Federal Employment Agency show that in June 2013 there were 4,648 Brits and 3,664 Americans claiming unemployment benefit known as Hartz IV.

While this accounts for less than one percent of the total number receiving the benefit, the percentage of British and American expats who claim while being fit for work is higher than the national average.

Of the British claimants, 87 percent were fit for employment whereas 83 percent of Americans claimants who get benefits were able to work. The national figure is 73 percent.

“The number of British and American claimants has fluctuated since 2007,” said Ingo Wermes from the Federal Employment Agency’s statistics department.

But in the last year the number of Brits and Americans claiming benefits in Germany has risen slightly, increasing by one percent for Brits and by 2.6 percent for Americans.

On Tuesday Germany’s Interior Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich encouraged the European Commission to introduce stricter restrictions on foreigners claiming benefits in other European Union countries through so-called “welfare tourism”.

Bloody English speaking foreigners!

Guest eight

They don't like up 'em!

To be honest I don't think four and half thousand people in a country the size of Germany is statistically significant in any way, shape or form.

Ok just done a fact check. Like other EU countries you can only get unemployment benefit if you have worked and paid taxes in the country. What you can get is any of the basic means tested benefits available to German nationals because as an EU citizen you are treated in exactly the same way. But it is true, they don't like it up 'em.

Ok just done a fact check. Like other EU countries you can only get unemployment benefit if you have worked and paid taxes in the country. What you can get is any of the basic means tested benefits available to German nationals because as an EU citizen you are treated in exactly the same way. But it is true, they don't like it up 'em.

So in a nutshell another opportunistic positing from the OP. Well I never...

Guest eight

Well done everybody for missing the point.

OK, I'm thicker than the large print edition of Hansard. Spell out for me what you think the point was.

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20131009-52315.html

Bloody English speaking foreigners!

well f we hadn't given away rover to BMW,or most of our public sector bus contacts to siemens etc we would not be living on german benefits.

...and they were literally "given" away.

bloody-minded brits 1,germany 1(3-0 on penalties)

england score early but second-half performance is lacklustre...serious setback with german equalizer in second half injury time.

england finally win penalty shoot-out with dazzling display of spot-kick accuracy,thanks to the stunning performance of a canadian defender with dual citizenship.

Edited by oracle

German benefits are generous. My (german) grandmother gets more from her german state pension than english one, despite leaving germany for the UK after ww2 in her early 20s and only working a year or so in germany.

Seems the way to do it, get not one but two state pensions! she's had 30+ years from it so far.

German benefits are generous. My (german) grandmother gets more from her german state pension than english one, despite leaving germany for the UK after ww2 in her early 20s and only working a year or so in germany.

Seems the way to do it, get not one but two state pensions! she's had 30+ years from it so far.

same in quite a lot of europe though.

what gets me is so many people think the NHS is free.

it isn't.

british taxpayer money pays for it.

I don't begrudge people who are in really desperate need of life-saving treatment the means to get themselves patched up,,,,,but NHS boob jobs???(extenuating circumstances being reconstructive surgery after mastectomy perhaps)

the benefits system shouldnt be,(and actually isnt in a lot of EU)..a lifestyle choice

there needs to be a cap on the amount of benefits one can claim(say 5 years total throughout working life)...and there neeeds also to be some contribution to it before eligability to claim.(say 18-21 for UK resident or 3 year consecutive NI contribution for non-dom)

benefits not taken should then be added to pensions.

seems fair enough,

Edited by oracle

seems fair enough,

over generous I would say. I wouldn't let any first generation immigrant claim any benefits beyond a pension but as a quid-pro-quo I would give them a lower NI rate. If they lose their job they can feck back off home.