House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichM

Great Letter In Telegraph, 21-11-2005

Well done, nice to see HPC letters in the press.

That letter in full:

Sir - Unlike Mr Utley, "Pensions don't worry me or Mr Blair" (Opinion, November 18), I made the fatal mistake of being born in 1979, with the result that I am one of the unfortunate 26-year-olds who would struggle to buy a flat in Battersea. While I am grateful for Mr Utley's generous and selfless attempts to smoke and drink himself into an early grave, my generation would be much better supported if the Government was not so concerned with pumping more and more money into the property market (through Self-Invested Personal Pensions, ridiculous part-rent part-buy schemes, "affordable" property for keyworkers etc) and carried out a careful examination of the problems associated with runaway house price inflation.

The current property-based enrichment of the "baby-boomers" has been facilitated by the much-lauded era of low inflation and low interest rates. Yet it was the high inflation of previous eras that allowed them to move up the property ladder. Many people will now have to take on enormous levels of debt to get even modest accommodation. If this country's housing market was less of a drain, the productive aspects of our economy would receive much-needed support, thereby removing the need for Mr Utley prematurely to pop his clogs.

Once upon a time this sort of plucky, one-man-against-the-system attempt at gaining publicity for the plight of FTBers would have have been met with joy.

Now this triumph for the "little guy" is in danger of being trumped by propaganda leaked by rightmove of all people. What a sad day. The guy who wrote this letter must be well hacked off. He didn't even get it put in the blog. :(

I'll second this. Anything like it can't hurt and will hopefully do some good.

For the record, I got a letter published in the local rag (actually has circulation of 100K+), however, I think the readers are more interested in sex, scandal and traffic calming measures as no one responded. Perhaps they all thought I was mad. I know the girlfriend's parents pinned it up on their noticeboard and had a good laugh. Oh well!

Oh that, that's just coincidence ;)

But yes, it is a very good letter.

Yes, well done. I guess we'll never know who the phantom writer is! :rolleyes:

Sadly the link no longer works. But as you can read above, it's still published here for everyone to read.

Actually, I think this link still works...

"Forget pensions, think about housing"

Sorry Doc RichM I forgot to say well done and keep up the internal probing medical letters. My brothers a consultant psychiatrist in the big smoke who could barely afford a rabbit hutch - it just doesnt make sense but I am here to post and learn for him and myself.

:(:(:(:(