House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Sony Xperia Smart Phone Died Out Of Warranty...

The wifes 18 month old Pay As You Go Sony Xperia died yesterday.

It's definately a phone failure and not just a dodgy battery or SIM. It just doesn't power up at all.

Took it into Everything Everywhere (or in my case Nothing Here) who just went "Yeah, it's failed, but it's out of warranty mate, try Sony or could we sell you another phone".

Feedback on the Sony website indicates a lot of unhappy people with failed phones who are not getting any response from Sony or if they are it's repair bills which are nearly to the value of a new phone.

So am I stuffed?

I'm not happy as the phone was not cheap and i'd expect the missus to get more than 18 months use out of it, especially as she's not a heavy phone user and didn't abuse it.

Apart from voting with my feet and not buying a Sony again and moving Mrs. Spots PAYG and my contract from EE to some other bandit, is there much else I can do?

Not very helpful, but worth remembering that Vodafone offer a 2 year warranty on phones bought from them. I got mine, unlocked it and used it on giffgaff.

I've found Sony's products pretty poor on the support/warranty front in the past.

I had two sony xperias through 2010/2012 neither lasted 18 months. I will never buy a sony phone again.

The second one was an xperia mini that was known to have overheating problems, Sony assured people on various forums that these problems had been fixed, they lied. After about two months mine would constantly vibrate and you couldn't use it. It just worse from then on. In the end I kept it turned off and only turned it on if I needed to use it, it would last about 15 minutes before it would start vibrating all the time.

It's definately a phone failure and not just a dodgy battery or SIM. It just doesn't power up at all.

Took it into Everything Everywhere (or in my case Nothing Here) who just went "Yeah, it's failed, but it's out of warranty mate, try Sony or could we sell you another phone".

Feedback on the Sony website indicates a lot of unhappy people with failed phones who are not getting any response from Sony or if they are it's repair bills which are nearly to the value of a new phone.

So am I stuffed?

I'm not happy as the phone was not cheap and i'd expect the missus to get more than 18 months use out of it, especially as she's not a heavy phone user and didn't abuse it.

Apart from voting with my feet and not buying a Sony again and moving Mrs. Spots PAYG and my contract from EE to some other bandit, is there much else I can do?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Dunno whether it is worth the hassle. You decide.

So am I stuffed?

Check out sale of goods act, warranty doesn't come into it goods must be fit for purpose, your contract is with the company you bought the phone from

Write to them rejecting the phone as not fit for purpose and threaten court action if not repaired or refunded

good luck , retailers rely on the fact that customers don't know or enforce their rights

I'm pretty sure I will "die out of warranty"! Not yet though! ;)

I also have a roughly 18 month old Xperia. Not pleased with the way its aging! I can only upgrade in Feb and I'm just hoping it lasts that long.

Wont be getting another Sony POS.

Guest eight

I will never buy a sony phone again.

My wife feels the same about Nokia. I can think or five or six companies in other areas where I just cannot imagine a set of circumstances under which I would even consider doing business with them again. Seems like the bible was right and you do reap what you sow. I might have to become a true believer.

Thanks for the sale of goods/euro directive info.

I will pursue this further!

Sale of Goods Act 1979, your product is actually covered for a period of up to 6 years from the date you bought it. If it breaks within that time frame, return it to the reseller, (EE). They will try to fob you off, your contract is with them and not Sony. Just quote the Sale Of Goods Act to them, (I'd recommend doing a bit of research first before going in armed with a broken phone and only a little bit of knowledge)

mspL4