House Price Crash Forum
DTMark

Website Keeps Dying

It might just be me. Have been having problems with the Three network round here so changed to EE 4G. Works a charm, nice and speedy. (To clarify - it's being used as home broadband, so viewing on a PC)

However both before, and after, the site keeps "going away for a while". Not getting anything like this on any other sites.

Usually what happens is that the banner at the top loads, and nothing else. The browser considers the full page to have been delivered (both IE and Chrome).

What sometimes happens is a completely blank page comes back.

Refreshing the page has no effect for about 10 seconds when the site comes back again and the requested page snaps back immediately.

Doesn't seem to happen when under load, it was doing the same at between around 03:45 and 05:30 this morning. Also doing same now between 14:10 and 14:25.

Never produces any error as such. Once it starts doing this, it keeps doing this. Otherwise it runs perfectly.

Is it just me..

Don't have a router yet.. the only one that works costs £250, there is only one in the world :( so I'm building up to that. (No routers are compatible with this dongle but for the longer term I intend getting the type of router which is all-in-one into which you put the SIM card, with two sockets for antennae on the roof)

Having checked it isn't DNS.

It does make me wonder if it has something to do with certain content on the page - maybe that top banner which rotates through different ads. When a certain banner is on the page the browser won't load it nor anything which follows it. (Edit to clarify - it's not the under 18 content lock, that has been removed)

Was doing this with Three, does it with EE. Though Three was failing all over the place. With EE it's just this site that plays up, everything else runs like lightning.

Points at the PC as the only common component.

And at the back of my mind I wonder if it could just possibly have something to do with IPv6 though my knowledge then runs out at that point. If there was "knowledge" before :)

Edited by DTMark

Spent a while looking at this now.

There's quite a lot about the IE10 "Do not track" feature online causing issues with some sites.

But then the page load issue affects Chrome, too.

Interestingly perhaps, the other thing that doesn't work in IE10 is Disqus embedded content. IE10 just doesn't load that. That *may* be to do with Do Not Track.

But, Chrome loads it.

And the website breaks simultaneously in both IE10 and Chrome. If it breaks in IE10 and I copy/paste the URL into Chrome, it's broken there too.

For about ten seconds.

Then they both begin working simultaneously.

Which might suggest a networking issue with the connection or the PC.

But while this site remains broken every other site is working like lightning.

This is very odd. Since nobody else has raised it, it must be something here. Damned if I know what it is though :(

Firewall?

Anti virus?

Neither of those :(

PC does have MS Security Essentials installed. Have had that perform a full scan but nothing found. I know Windows quite well, so I can usually spot anything suspect in the running process list and all looks OK.

My current working theory is that it has something to do with Flash. That being a component common to both browsers.

I've disabled it for now, if that fixes it then I'll remove and reinstall it.

--

Edit: No, it's not Flash.

The HPC server doesn't allow echo/ping so I can't see if it's a connectivity issue from here to there.

Tracing a route reveals some very, very strange routing on EE's network - speed tests always return ping times of sub 35ms, high 20s is normal, and to look at the length of the routes you wonder how that can possibly be.

But then this site used to play up on Three 3G as well in the identical manner and they don't share any common components.

I'll come back to it later..

Edited by DTMark

Now that's odd. When I ran this earlier, it went through about five more hops in the middle after hop 4.

--

C:\Users\Mark>tracert www.housepricecrash.co.uk

Tracing route to housepricecrash.co.uk [87.124.92.6]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ee.mobilebroadband [192.168.1.1]

3 42 ms 39 ms 39 ms 10.10.0.36

4 36 ms 39 ms 39 ms 172.31.35.253

5 46 ms 52 ms 46 ms te3-4.ccr01.lon11.atlas.cogentco.com [149.11.78.

5]

6 51 ms 46 ms 49 ms te0-0-0-34.ccr22.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.5

4.61.53]

7 46 ms 47 ms 49 ms te2-1.mag02.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.74.

114]

8 46 ms 49 ms 49 ms 149.6.184.110

9 46 ms 48 ms 49 ms virgin1.cer1.manor.fubra.net [87.124.32.94]

10 * * * Request timed out.

--

Coming around to the idea that this might be to do with Carrier Grade NAT as used by EE so it *is* a network issue which prevents people whose ISP uses that from seeing this site a lot of the time.

I wonder if the site admins could uncover whether someone accessing this site using CGN might experience what I'm seeing..?

OK, I think I have proved the problem. It is "Carrier Grade NAT".

This is implemented by ISPs who do not have sufficient IPv4 addresses in their address ranges.

For those not into IT - when you connect to the net your ISP issues you an IP address using something called "DCHP". That's your "identity" on the internet if you will.

Normally, when you ask for a web page - like this site - the IP address presented to the server is the same one. Sometimes, with something called NAT, it might differ (NAT means "Network Address Translation" meaning your IP address is "mapped" to another one on the ISP's network (to keep it simple).

However importantly it remains the same one as you browse.

CGNAT means that the IP address presented to the server at the other end can differ on each page request. Basically many users on the ISP's network "share" a number of IP addresses and this upsets the server because from a security perspective it looks like your "session" has been "hijacked".

This site, along with some others, won't tolerate this and refuses to serve the page. A dozen or so page refreshes and the page will load when you get the same "end" IP as you had on the first page request.

This *may* explain a stack of duplicate posts I've seen lately as people keep "refreshing" the page to make their posts.

However this isn't just EE. BT and PlusNet are trialling this too. This is because we've almost run out of IP addresses in the "v4" range and ISPs would rather not make the investment in "v6" which is a newer standard designed to deal with this issue.

So although it probably doesn't affect many people now, it will eventually.

.. and the solution for those on EE, BT and PlusNet (and by the look of it, many ISPs as CGNAT becomes widely adopted)

https://www.astrill.com/

Creates a VPN - and you can have a fixed public IP address.

A bit like DynDns.org on steroids.

Also has the added benefit of securely tunnelling everything so nobody can see what you're up to ;)

As long as you trust that provider.

.. and the solution for those on EE, BT and PlusNet (and by the look of it, many ISPs as CGNAT becomes widely adopted)

https://www.astrill.com/

Creates a VPN - and you can have a fixed public IP address.

A bit like DynDns.org on steroids.

Also has the added benefit of securely tunnelling everything so nobody can see what you're up to wink.gif

As long as you trust that provider.

I was using astrill but didn't find anything helpful then i switched to purevpn. I am using their vpn app for android - https://www.purevpn.com/vpn-app-for-android.php