House Price Crash Forum

Royal Mail Warns Thousands Will Lose Jobs After Sell-Off

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/09/royal-mail-warns-thousands-job-losses

Royal Mail has warned that thousands of postal workers will lose their jobs following its controversial privatisation. On Tuesday the 500-year-old national institution saw unprecedented demand for its share offer, with more than 1 million people thought to have applied. In its written submission to a parliament on Wednesday, Royal Mail said: "The company will employ fewer people in the future, whoever owns it."

The company refused to state how many jobs will be axed, but a spokesman indicated it would be thousands if not tens of thousands of Royal Mail's 150,000 employees.

Moya Greene, Royal Mail's chief executive, who was paid £1.6m last year, has said the company needs to be "sized appropriately for the [declining] traffic we have to process".

The forthcoming cuts come on top of 50,000 jobs lost over the past decade. The company said it "remains committed to the overarching objective of achieving this without compulsory redundancies".

6 day delivery thread

No surprise really. So looks like some posties will have shares and no job, clearly not those are in the hard working families group.

HOLA442

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/09/royal-mail-warns-thousands-job-losses

6 day delivery thread

No surprise really. So looks like some posties will have shares and no job, clearly not those are in the hard working families group.

So they will be the good leavers then :D

Edit: the ones that don't leave kicking and screaming. Shares are a bribe to pacify them on getting their P45s clearly. Unbelievable that 368 elected out of the free share offer.

Edited by longtomsilver

HOLA443

http://www.theguardi...ands-job-losses

6 day delivery thread

Won't be able to vote Tory because they are only for 'hardworking people" not the soon to be feckless posties.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Won't be able to vote Tory because they are only for 'hardworking people" not the soon to be feckless posties.

I reckon everyone working for the govt has had a chip inserted so that they're now incapable of saying or writing the words 'people', 'families' or 'households' without preceding them with 'hardworking'.

These are from a single, fairly short Treasury press release yesterday:

"Housing Minister Kris Hopkins said the equity loan scheme, part of the government’s Help to Buy programme, had given the housing market a kickstart by driving up the rate of housebuilding and helping hardworking families buy a home."

"Since the launch of the Help to Buy: equity loan scheme in April, there have been 15,410 reservations for new build homes, and nearly 30,000 hardworking people have bought a new build property through a range of government-backed homeownership schemes over the last 2 years."

"Our policies on housing are working: housebuilding is growing at its fastest rate for 10 years, and the tough decisions we’ve taken to tackle the deficit have kept interest rates low and are now delivering real help to hardworking people."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/britain-is-building-again-under-help-to-buy

HOLA446

Add to this possible figure the thousands of Army personnel being made redundant between now & June 2014. I really don't believe things are improving. Would love to though.

You don't believe all that tosh about the economy improving?

Slipping into depression more likely!

HOLA447

So they will be the good leavers then :D

Edit: the ones that don't leave kicking and screaming. Shares are a bribe to pacify them on getting their P45s clearly. Unbelievable that 368 elected out of the free share offer.

I would think some people might decline the shares because being an asset it could interfere with any benefits etc

Letters are going the same way as vinyl records nice to have but not needed.

IMPO there will be major industrial action.

HOLA448
HOLA449

But think of all the pwoperdee assetz they have. Here's £1 billion for starters (according to the Guardian)

Like others have said, it'll be asset stripped and left to flounder, being rescued by the taxpayer at a later date.

It'll be re-invented as a privately owned small parcels delivery business. This might have been possible under state ownership if its staff weren't so obstructive.

HOLA4410

I would think some people might decline the shares because being an asset it could interfere with any benefits etc

Yes, as soon as those Dominos Pizza leaflets and TV licence reminders stop dropping through the door the country will be on its knees.

For years you might as well have taped your council's plastic recycling crate to the inside of the letterbox.

HOLA4411

nah, there will be ten's of thousands who will have benefits of some sort which could be affected by having shares. most of the 300 odd will be totally against the sell off and have opted out to prove so in some bizarre sort of protest, it will not change nothing, may as well get a few grand if at all possible before up the road for a certain percentage in the future. plus a few of those are from board room type / not directly employed by RM who will not get any shares anyway.

Over the last seven years or so there has been a big drive to employ part time or 1 hour contract posties or agency. the £2k share is all pro-rata so a 1 hour contract guy is looking at 50 quids worth of shares...

Letters like vinyl? for many yes, but for many no, how many millions have never used a computer or hardly ever? quite a few. There's how many millions self employed? lots of correspondence via post. tax credits and so on.

yes I think there will be major industrial action, but if both sides give a little it could only be a few days worth.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

6 day delivery thread

Damn right. i'm a shareholder now and not a RM worker so I want robot efficiencies brought in asap with the only human staff being the ones that deliver the letters, until they approve self drive vans and the japs invent the postal robot. The need to maintain and grow my dividends from 6% upwards. About 5% divi growth p/a will do,

M

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

They're finished as a concept really, the only foreseeable demand will be for some sort of special service delivering legal documents.

On what time scale though? still a few years of mileage in it, and rounds can be made bigger as mail volumes decline 5% or so a year. reducing the delivery days will make it worthwhile.

HOLA4418

On what time scale though? still a few years of mileage in it, and rounds can be made bigger as mail volumes decline 5% or so a year. reducing the delivery days will make it worthwhile.

These days seems to gather pace unexpectedly quickly. Bearing in mind it went from online music downloads, being a bit of an issue, to there not being a single music retailer left on the high st in an astonishingly short period of a few years.

At the moment most SMEs operate invoicing on a system of business A types out an invoice on a computer connected to the internet and posts it to business B. Business B then opens the invoice and types the invoice into some accounting software on their computer also connected to the very same internet. It's really not very hard to spot the unnecessary busy work element in this charade.

Some sort of government led move to online invoicing and billing would push everything that way leading to a very rapid decline in volumes. I think you're overestimating the numbers of people not interacting with the internet in some way. I'm not sure it's even possible for a self-employed person to not submit things like some tax type stuff online now.

There'll come a point that, as well, when the letters have diminished, to such a point, that there's no longer so much of the walking to almost every door on the round every day and then the add on junk mail like Domino's flyers will no longer be viable either.

Edited by SNACR

HOLA4419

These days seems to gather pace unexpectedly quickly. Bearing in mind it went from online music downloads, being a bit of an issue, to there not being a single music retailer left on the high st in an astonishingly short period of a few years.

At the moment most SMEs operate invoicing on a system of business A types out an invoice on a computer connected to the internet and posts it to business B. Business B then opens the invoice and types the invoice into some accounting software on their computer also connected to the very same internet. It's really not very hard to spot the unnecessary busy work element in this charade.

Some sort of government led move to online invoicing and billing would push everything that way leading to a very rapid decline in volumes. I think you're overestimating the numbers of people not interacting with the internet in some way. I'm not sure it's even possible for a self-employed person to not submit things like some tax type stuff online now.

There'll come a point that, as well, when the letters have diminished, to such a point, that there's no longer so much of the walking to almost every door on the round every day and then the add on junk mail like Domino's flyers will no longer be viable either.

For sure something like the government introducing that would make a big big difference. I may well be overestimating numbers but I know of many older people who want nothing to do with the internet whatsoever.

Another key point is in smaller packets/parcels and whether a firm like Amazon will deliver these themselves cheaply enough (or buy enough of royal mail to influence that factor). Most who buy online want their orders delivered reasonably quickly.

Supposedly there's good money to be made on both sides with leaflets, currently RM can deliver up to 7 different leaflets per week (used to be 3or4 at most I think). this element only adds a couple of extra hours worth of time per week so it's cost effective.

Other elements could be added into a duty in the future, electric meter readings possibly, who knows.

HOLA4420