House Price Crash Forum
geezer466

Shipping Containers

The UK's future alright. Third World economy, Third World slums. Shantytown motherf***ers 'r' us.

I've spent some time in Geneva Switzerland and I was shown these containers on a night out by my bro in law who was working for one of the banks, they're kept just outside the city centre on the edge of lake Geneva and the low paid workers use them for accommodation as the rents are huge on any apartments in the city.

Lived in converted shipping containers in London, but at least mine was 2/3 welded together with a balcony.

Noticed these had aircon which you will need in summer, even with insulation. It could be these units are heated/cooled with heat pumps.

Something along these lines, but properly built by caravan manufacturers could solve many of the problems for our cities.

They could be given tasteful exteriors in line with conventional housing and being factory built should not be expensive.

In fact, with built in furniture of a high standard, sited in a properly landscaped park etc., they could become 'Highly sort after!!'

I don't understand the point of this, the value of the land underneath that container is probably 10 times the value of the thing itself. At that price why not spend a little more on a properly built structure?

I don't understand the point of this, the value of the land underneath that container is probably 10 times the value of the thing itself. At that price why not spend a little more on a properly built structure?

Presumably the lack of planning permission?

Lived in converted shipping containers in London, but at least mine was 2/3 welded together with a balcony.

Noticed these had aircon which you will need in summer, even with insulation. It could be these units are heated/cooled with heat pumps.

That's what puts me off. I've thought they must get stinking hot in the summer, even with insulation.

But there was a news item a year or so ago with a man who lived in one of these in the UK and he said it was really cool in the summer!

That's what puts me off. I've thought they must get stinking hot in the summer, even with insulation.

But there was a news item a year or so ago with a man who lived in one of these in the UK and he said it was really cool in the summer!

No they get very hot even with insulation. I had a nice cooling breeze from the Thames with the balcony doors open though. They would be very expensive to cool with aircon alone, though I did buy a couple of portable units.

No they get very hot even with insulation. I had a nice cooling breeze from the Thames with the balcony doors open though. They would be very expensive to cool with aircon alone, though I did buy a couple of portable units.

Simple solution - bury them under a heap of earth. Plant grass on top and the green roof will keep it cool. You'd need all sides except the front to be covered with earth though.

Simple solution - bury them under a heap of earth. Plant grass on top and the green roof will keep it cool. You'd need all sides except the front to be covered with earth though.

That has almost been done, though I wouldn't recommend total burial

container-city-02_634x400.jpg

Inside you wouldn't know you were in a container..

5431657_orig.jpg

I wonder how much these sorts of containers cost to actually buy? and their delivery costs to wherever you want to plonk them down and 'build' your home, somewhere off the beaten track?

Where does one go to buy these? Presumably they will ones that are at the end of their working lives (i.e may well have significant rust? etc) - in which case how structurally sound would they be?

I wonder how much these sorts of containers cost to actually buy? and their delivery costs to wherever you want to plonk them down and 'build' your home, somewhere off the beaten track?

Where does one go to buy these? Presumably they will ones that are at the end of their working lives (i.e may well have significant rust? etc) - in which case how structurally sound would they be?

I think the guy I saw on the news did it all for £7K, inc fitting out

Edited by oldsport

For a while, containers were free - lower sdcrap value than now, and nothing to ship back to China made them a liability, that included brand new ones - friend built a whole storage company on the basis of getting a lot free (helped he was a haulier so had inside track on their availability and means to pick them up and move them).

Even total rust boxes would still be pretty structurally sound (they are immensely strong) but just need sealing with alternative roof material.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-BUILDINGS-30x08-STEEL-STORE-SHIPPING-CONTAINER-/350891415231?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item51b2c216bf

Extruded polystyrene is the insulation for these no need for aircon and very little heating in the winter ,a mate has one as a workshop insulated with 160mm xps, one small convection heater does the job in winter and is 10m by 3 ish

For a while, containers were free - lower sdcrap value than now, and nothing to ship back to China made them a liability, that included brand new ones - friend built a whole storage company on the basis of getting a lot free (helped he was a haulier so had inside track on their availability and means to pick them up and move them).

Even total rust boxes would still be pretty structurally sound (they are immensely strong) but just need sealing with alternative roof material.

yep was trying to get a mate to be up for putting a few in his garden (big garden) as summer shed/storage type designs.

At £75 per container per week, I'll take the two for £150 and have an upstairs/downstairs arrangement and avoid neighbours above. Cheaper than a room in a house in London, twice the size. What a total mess we're in when I actually think this is a great solution :o

What a total mess we're in when I actually think this is a great solution :o

Yup. Not too sure why everyone is so in favour of this. Have people really given up on actually owning a decent place of their own and now all they can realistically think of is living in an old shipping container?

Yup. Not too sure why everyone is so in favour of this. Have people really given up on actually owning a decent place of their own and now all they can realistically think of is living in an old shipping container?

Completely agree, this is just another sign of how far living standards are falling in this country.

If each one of these units cost £20k to build and they are rented out at £75 per week, that's a return of almost 20%. Doesn't seem that cheap to me!

If a decent converted shipping container setup can free you from a life time debt slavery then it is.

Sadly on Rentier island your best bet would be to mount them on a moored barge as feck all chance of being able to live in one on the lan.

Mind you where I lived, it was all temporary planning consents for temporary buildings and Container City in East London has been going for over 15 years now.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I'd happily live in one if it meant I could also have SPACE. So having them crammed onto a 50% scale model of a normal housing estate would put me back at square one.