House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest eight

Diy Sos

Guest eight

Surprised not find a thread on this.

Stumbled across DIY SOS last night. Seen it a few times before, where circumstances leave people living in a wreck of a house without the means to improve their lot. Last night's however, was different. The couple lived in a new build house, but having had disabled twins (genuinely sad story) found space at a premium. Now we've all read jokey references to "rabbit hutches" etc. on here before, but this thing was shocking. I don't know what they paid, but I honestly cannot believe that "dwellings" of this size are allowed to be sold for human habitation - I would not keep pigs in it. I might, at a push, keep a pig in it, but pigs plural - no way.

Anyway, I digress. It basically had to be gutted and entirely remodelled internally, as well as having a substantial single story extension built on all of the remaining footprint, and even then it was just about liveable. Widening the doorways for wheelchair access meant compromising internal walls, they were even worried about the thickness of the plaster eating into the internal space, ffs!

Iplayer link here.

Does anybody in the locality know how much they are likely to have paid? My honest feeling is that these places would be overpriced at twenty grand.

The couple lived in a new build house, found space at a premium. Now we've all read jokey references to "rabbit hutches" etc. on here before, but this thing was shocking. I don't know what they paid, but I honestly cannot believe that "dwellings" of this size are allowed to be sold for human habitation - I would not keep pigs in it. I might, at a push, keep a pig in it, but pigs plural - no way.

Did they not view it before they bought it?

They only keep building them so blinking small because people keep buying them.

Did they not view it before they bought it?

They only keep building them so blinking small because people keep buying them.

There`s nothing else to buy? and anyway they didn`t expect disabled children.

client of mine lives in a place of unbeleivable smallness.

street door opens to 2m corridor with toilet and shower directly in front.

turn left into a single room, must be 20x20ft, less the toilet area and that includes the "kitchen", bed and a small sofa.

Ie a single room with a toilet and kitchen worktop.

£100K a couple of years ago. quite a bit less now.

Edited by Bloo Loo

I saw DIY SOS too and spent the entire hour just agape at the size of that house. Our first place was a two bed terrace, built in '89 - I thought it wasn't possible to get much smaller than that, but this place was less than 70% of the size.

No shit, when they showed the finished article *after* the extension, the footprint of the house still looked smaller than the hotel suite we had in the Canaries this year.

Depressing doesn't begin to describe how I felt watching that.

Guest eight

I saw DIY SOS too and spent the entire hour just agape at the size of that house. Our first place was a two bed terrace, built in '89 - I thought it wasn't possible to get much smaller than that, but this place was less than 70% of the size.

No shit, when they showed the finished article *after* the extension, the footprint of the house still looked smaller than the hotel suite we had in the Canaries this year.

Depressing doesn't begin to describe how I felt watching that.

I am curious to know if that is a standard design from the catalogue of one of our major housebuilders. It worries me that there might be thousands of those things all across the country.

Poor kid couldn't walk more than about three paces without crashing into something.

I am curious to know if that is a standard design from the catalogue of one of our major housebuilders. It worries me that there might be thousands of those things all across the country.

Yes the landbanking sector build shitboxes to maximize profit on their cartel on land with planning permission.

_46216562_houses_466_4.gif

Surprised not find a thread on this.

Stumbled across DIY SOS last night. Seen it a few times before, where circumstances leave people living in a wreck of a house without the means to improve their lot. Last night's however, was different. The couple lived in a new build house, but having had disabled twins (genuinely sad story) found space at a premium. Now we've all read jokey references to "rabbit hutches" etc. on here before, but this thing was shocking. I don't know what they paid, but I honestly cannot believe that "dwellings" of this size are allowed to be sold for human habitation - I would not keep pigs in it. I might, at a push, keep a pig in it, but pigs plural - no way.

Watched the first 10 mins of this. Couldn't believe how small the floor plan looked when they drew it into the tarmac and tried to fit all the builders on it. I feel so desperately sad for people like this and their circumstances with their twins were unexpected. HPI just seals their fate.

Re price, it was in a place called Whiteley (Fareham direction) and similar stuff is around £160k http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37476733.html?premiumA=true

Nothing wrong with tiny houses, the problem is that they don't cost an equivalently tiny amount. Would anyone have an issue if they were a tenth of the price they are?

Guest eight

Nothing wrong with tiny houses, the problem is that they don't cost an equivalently tiny amount. Would anyone have an issue if they were a tenth of the price they are?

I did say twenty grand in my OP. The fact that (granted they threw a lot of labour at it) they rebuilt the place in nine days and the footprint was roughly the size of a single garage suggests that the actual asking price might be taking the piss somewhat.

I did say twenty grand in my OP. The fact that (granted they threw a lot of labour at it) they rebuilt the place in nine days and the footprint was roughly the size of a single garage suggests that the actual asking price might be taking the piss somewhat.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Some people might only want a space to sleep in and not much more than that, it's when these things are marketed and priced as family homes that it gets ridiculous. Would a terrace in the same area cost the same and be rather larger?

Guest eight

Yes, I'd agree with that. Some people might only want a space to sleep in and not much more than that, it's when these things are marketed and priced as family homes that it gets ridiculous. Would a terrace in the same area cost the same and be rather larger?

I'm sitting here in a four bedroom Georgian terrace which it's barely an exaggeration to say could fit that entire house in the main sitting room and that cost £30K in 1999.

I don't know whether to laugh at my own good fortune or cry at theirs.

All property adverts should be forced to show the size and price per square foot/meter.

They put it on the HIP/EPC's now but the estate agents still often blank it out.

I thought it was well known that modern show homes and apartments use tricks like miniature dining tables and plates, 3/4 sized beds and sofas to deceive people.

The buyers then move in with their new furniture from places like DFS and can't understand why it barely fits in the room or even through the door.

Re price, it was in a place called Whiteley (Fareham direction) and similar stuff is around £160k http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37476733.html?premiumA=true

Whitley is not from me it's notorious for traffic getting in and out of the place off of the M27 tailback city at rush hour, always felt sorry for those living there it's very sprawling but squashed development with its own shopping precinct which was recently revamped because no-body went there anymore.

I'm sitting here in a four bedroom Georgian terrace which it's barely an exaggeration to say could fit that entire house in the main sitting room and that cost £30K in 1999.

I don't know whether to laugh at my own good fortune or cry at theirs.

:rolleyes: depends whether you're sitting about 20 yards from the North sea in it or not... ;)

To top it all off, presumably they bought at close to peak prices and are now dependent on the husband's income to pay the (interest only?) mortgage. The wife cannot realistically work as she is caring for a severely disabled child. Any combination of rate rises or drops in income could see this specially adapted house repossessed.

The whole situation seems like a future case for the council housing office.

Guest eight

To top it all off, presumably they bought at close to peak prices and are now dependent on the husband's income to pay the (interest only?) mortgage. The wife cannot realistically work as she is caring for a severely disabled child. Any combination of rate rises or drops in income could see this specially adapted house repossessed.

The whole situation seems like a future case for the council housing office.

The husband had already been made redundant and was now working away from home during the week, leaving the mother to look after the toddlers on her own, albeit with the help of the older boy who was about 7/8.

Would love to know the financial dynamics once the BBC get involved.

I would not keep pigs in it. I might, at a push, keep a pig in it, but pigs plural - no way.

You don't need a lot for a pig as long as they have somewhere to go outside during the day.

I have a 600sqft piggery which used to keep 10, currently used as a garage. I'm building another one on the back of it (just done the foundations) and will convert them for accommodation when the kids want to move out. Better that they can have their own place and not pay rent to a landlord.

I'm using the permitted development laws so no need for planning permission.

When building for PD, you can still get the building regs done as accomodation, even though that is not the initial use. This fixes the date at which the regs apply. I've done it this way since converting outbuildings is going to get harder to meet regs in future.

The husband had already been made redundant and was now working away from home during the week, leaving the mother to look after the toddlers on her own, albeit with the help of the older boy who was about 7/8.

Those children are only going to get bigger too. At the moment the mass of children in that house is probably under 60kg, in ten years that is going to be approaching 200kg.

Like I say, the situation still seems very unsustainable and I don't see any way out of it other than council housing. There is no way that amount of space can accommodate 5 teenagers and adults without doing them physiological and psychological harm, and I doubt they will be able to afford anything bigger themselves.

Guest eight

You don't need a lot for a pig as long as they have somewhere to go outside during the day.

That's what I like about this forum. A throwaway comment about keeping pigs leads to actual discussion on keeping pigs.

Those children are only going to get bigger too. At the moment the mass of children in that house is probably under 60kg, in ten years that is going to be approaching 200kg.

Like I say, the situation still seems very unsustainable and I don't see any way out of it other than council housing. There is no way that amount of space can accommodate 5 teenagers and adults without doing them physiological and psychological harm, and I doubt they will be able to afford anything bigger themselves.

But... dog walking .. views ...

There is no way that amount of space can accommodate 5 teenagers and adults without doing them physiological and psychological harm, and I doubt they will be able to afford anything bigger themselves.

As they're disabled, I'm sure that's true. But more generally speaking, can a change in culture improve small home living? I used to live in Hong Kong, and homes were pretty small. Friend of mine, aged 30, lived in a tiny 2 bed flat - his sister, brother-in-law and their child slept in one room, his mom and dad in the other, and he slept on the sofa in the lounge. He seemed happy enough. But they ate all the time, at really cheap but good restaurants, and worked really hard. There was less motivation to leave our spacious office and go home on an evening.

The constant warm weather helped with outdoor living which is harder in the UK, but are there other things we could do? Better community centres, better parks, lower alcohol duties in pubs to encourage communities to congregate there rather than stay at home? When I was kid I'd be out on my bike pretty much all day every day, especially in the summer - home was somewhere you ate and slept, not somewhere you lived - so size was less important. But I don't trust my kids to be out on their own these days.

We shouldn't just say 'we need bigger homes', but should maybe work out why people in places like Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo are happy in tiny homes. Can we be a bit more like them? Staying in and watching Eastenders whilst eating a ready-meal in the lounge (because you don't have room for a dining table) sounds like a pretty miserable existence. I like to take the family down the pub when we're getting a bit stir-crazy in our modest house, but it is so damned expensive these days (because the government has dictated that going to the pub is bad for you, whilst staying home and watching Eastenders is good for you)!