House Price Crash Forum

Orange Ceo Says ‘No Money’ In Europe As Carriers Fight Rules

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-08/orange-says-no-money-in-europe-as-carriers-fight-eu-rules.html

Europe has become stifling for expansion and investment in the telecommunications industry, and new regulations cutting roaming charges will only make things worse, according to executives from the region’s giants such as Orange SA (ORA), Vodafone Group Plc (VOD) and Deutsche Telekom AG. (DTE)

“Our main problem in Europe is that we have no growth,” Orange Chief Executive Officer Stephane Richard said in Brussels. “Europe has to accept the idea that the price for services, for new technology, for mobile broadband, for fiber will need to increase a little bit. If not, I don’t see how we could manage; there is no more money in Europe.”

Carriers are rebelling against proposals by European Union Commissioner Neelie Kroes to eliminate roaming charges while standardizing some regulation, such as the allocation of spectrum. Her goal is to encourage data use, increase investment and make Europe more like a single market. Carriers say they’re being deprived of an important revenue source in a difficult market amid price wars and weak economies in several EU countries.

Is that because the mobile phone market is saturated and the only way to grow the market is for people to have 2 phones?

HOLA442

Our only way to pay for new cell towers is to continue to rip off the financially incompetent / incontinent on their twice a year pilgrimage to the Costa Blanca. Ryan Air gets them at both ends and we screw them in the middle. Sounds like a sustainable business model to me.

There's too much of this European regulation lark. Capitalism should be allowed to run free, it's worked in everyone's interest so far.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Our only way to pay for new cell towers is to continue to rip off the financially incompetent / incontinent on their twice a year pilgrimage to the Costa Blanca. Ryan Air gets them at both ends and we screw them in the middle. Sounds like a sustainable business model to me.

The fact that nobody has broken ranks over the cash cow that is roaming data is for me the clearest evidence of a functioning cartel anywhere in business.

HOLA445

The fact that nobody has broken ranks over the cash cow that is roaming data is for me the clearest evidence of a functioning cartel anywhere in business.

Basicly the same as the energy sellers. no one breaks ranks. Must be a case for some sort of OFT investigation in both cases.