House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

East Coast Main Line Returns £208M To Taxpayer

The couple of times I've used East Coast were also about the only train journeys I've had in recent years that I've found pleasant (although admittedly ending up with the first class ticket being only 50p more than standard helped - but it was a better first class than the Transpennine and Virgin trains I used on the same journey).

The title is the clue to the dilemma.

Why should taxpayers enjoy this bounty, when some hard working capitalist could be using it to buy their second yacht? Shameful - and I can see why the Govt. would want to rectify this unnatural situation. Everyone knows the money should flow from the taxpayer to business, not the other way around.

Taxpayers will already have funded the £208M - by buying the overpriced tickets in the first place. And it will just give government more 'surplus' to throw down the benefits plughole and allow them to keep archaic work practices in place (that cost too much anyway).

Having said that, East Coast First Class is a pleasant enough way to travel.....

Taxpayers will already have funded the £208M - by buying the overpriced tickets in the first place. And it will just give government more 'surplus' to throw down the benefits plughole and allow them to keep archaic work practices in place (that cost too much anyway).

Having said that, East Coast First Class is a pleasant enough way to travel.....

Whereas if it was privatised then ticket prices would fall and no profit would be made by the franchise holder.

Oh wait...