House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Milk Before Or After The Teabag?

Does it actually make a difference? I was accosted once by a chum who saw me put the milk in BEFORE the teabag - oh the heresy..

Does it actually make a difference? I was accosted once by a chum who saw me put the milk in BEFORE the teabag - oh the heresy..

A witch! Burn him!

Always hot water in first. Tea should be made with boiling water, not milky luke-warm water.

A witch! Burn him!

Always hot water in first. Tea should be made with boiling water, not milky luke-warm water.

Definitely use freshly boiled water and leave to infuse for a minute or two, then I generally remove the teabag before adding any milk. However I have colleagues who add the milk before removing the teabag so they can get the colour right :rolleyes:

Make a difference? Ohh dear. Tea should be made in a heated pot with boiling water, poured into a china cup and then milk added. :o

Almost the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum. I need to sit down.

Definitely use freshly boiled water and leave to infuse for a minute or two, then I generally remove the teabag before adding any milk. However I have colleagues who add the milk before removing the teabag so they can get the colour right :rolleyes:

A teapot is the best way.

You get to make tea with boiling water, and you can add the tea to the milk to ger the colour you want and you avoid scolding the milk.

Tea leaves, tea pot, stainer and china cup is the best way but not exactly the most practical way of making a good cup of tea....tea bag method is, water just below boiling point, stir with a spoon in mug but don't squeeze the living daylights out of it, milk to be added last........ ;)

Edit: with the tea leaf method there is always the extra fun of reading your fortune in the tea leaves.

A teapot is the best way.

You get to make tea with boiling water, and you can add the tea to the milk to ger the colour you want and you avoid scolding the milk.

Would only use a teapot if I was using loose leaf 'proper' tea ie something like Russian Caravan where it is worth the effort. Generally I find it's not worth the hassle if using a teabag.

I was shocked to find out that somebody making my tea at work was putting the milk in first.

Always boiling water onto the teabag or it just doesn't taste like tea.

I'm ambivalent about making it in a mug or put as long as it gets about a minute to brew and then is mashed out.

All before the milk goes in.

Oh dear, sounds like I've made a major social fopar...I seem to use so much sugar, that I might as well add the bag & hot water to the sugar boil...

Is the right answer. As in always add acid to water instead of the other way round. Heat is dissipated.

Tea leaves, tea pot, stainer and china cup is the best way but not exactly the most practical way of making a good cup of tea....tea bag method is, water just below boiling point, stir with a spoon in mug but don't squeeze the living daylights out of it, milk to be added last........ ;)

Edit: with the tea leaf method there is always the extra fun of reading your fortune in the tea leaves.

I am sitting - thank goodness, that was a shock.

Leaves - long time from I had leaves.Yes they were good. I'll get some but I will still make it in a warmed pot. I have a suki pot with the strainer built in. It's brilliant for green teas.

If I sent you a photo of my leaves Winkie, could you do a reading? :)

Oh dear, sounds like I've made a major social fopar...I seem to use so much sugar, that I might as well add the bag & hot water to the sugar boil...

You've just made another one.

I am sitting - thank goodness, that was a shock.

Leaves - long time from I had leaves.Yes they were good. I'll get some but I will still make it in a warmed pot. I have a suki pot with the strainer built in. It's brilliant for green teas.

If I sent you a photo of my leaves Winkie, could you do a reading? :)

I could give it a go, but I could just be telling tea leaves. ;)

Would only use a teapot if I was using loose leaf 'proper' tea ie something like Russian Caravan where it is worth the effort. Generally I find it's not worth the

hassle if using a teabag.

:P

I know what God has lined up for! me! It's more"****** all",innit?

At work use tea bags - as usually in a hurry

At home, I think you have to treat tea bags like any other junk food, if you make it a principle never to buy them then you won't be tempted, just stock up on real tea.

As for the milk first/last nonsense I don't think it makes much difference - the faux pas is making a fuss about it or telling someone they are 'making it wrong'

I note people insist on it being in a china cup.

When I was in the CCF Cadets, we went out on a night exercise on a cold night. It was great fun, but freezing.

At the end of it we were served with a hot cup of tea in an enamel cup from a NAAFI catering van.

That was a great cuppa, I still remember it (obviously).

Teabag in for 40seconds then teabag out and add semi skimmed milk until tea matches colour chart.

Could I have a copy of your chart?