House Price Crash Forum

Royal Mail - How Long Will It Keep A 6 Day Delivery?

motch

HOLA441
HOLA442

Thought i'd start a thread about the current six day delivery as it's about to be privitised.

When will it reduce to a five, four (or less) days a week delivery? If ever ?

What I predict is, that Royal Mail Group will face an aggressive takeover, so anyone who brought shares will suddenly find their investment back in their bank account whether they like it or not,.

Parcelforce will be hived off as it is profitable. The letters side of the business will be allowed to effectively rot and no doubt will end up needing Government intervention.

This all hangs on whether HMG keeps a sizeable interest in RMG. If they get rid of their shares then the above will happen.

HOLA443

There has been talk inside RM for years now about reducing deliveries to 5 days a week, so I wouldn't be surprised if deliveries are reduced within the next couple of years. I've even heard someone suggest reducing it to once per week in certain areas, but I can't see that ever happening myself.

I can certainly see the benefits to the management, reduced staffing costs, no worries about shift work planning etc.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'd imagine a lot of households in the UK-post internet-could easily cope with two deliveries a week.

If they got rid of a lot of the expensive rounds,there might even be scope for a reduction in stamp prices....

2 or 3 times a week would be ok.

Less junk would be good (I suspect more...) and cheaper stamps.

I suspect only the deliveries would change for the better.

HOLA448

I'd imagine a lot of households in the UK-post internet-could easily cope with two deliveries a week.

If they got rid of a lot of the expensive rounds,there might even be scope for a reduction in stamp prices....

Agreed, if they offered a cheap 3rd Class stamp, with deliveries made on Tuesdays and Fridays only, I'd use that for 75%+ of my outgoing mail.

HOLA449

Why the flip do they have 2nd and 1st class? What century are we in? One "class" based on size/weight, 3 day turnaround. If you want next day you pay for Special Delivery.

HOLA4410

Why the flip do they have 2nd and 1st class? What century are we in? One "class" based on size/weight, 3 day turnaround. If you want next day you pay for Special Delivery.

I don't even know how much difference there is between 1st and 2nd class.

I've switched to sending all my personal correspondence by 2nd class, but I send it in windowed envelopes, with the address printed in an OCR font to RM's commercial rate posting specifications (Arial but with tweaks to the kerning settings and character spacings), with the address printed as shown in RM's address checker and with the full postcode.

Since I've started doing that, almost all of my 2nd class stuff arrives next working day, and I've never had a single item not delivered.

I think the main issue is hand written addresses; these need to be processed manually, so can get delayed. If you've got an OCR readable address, in correct RM format, then it just gets machine processed all the way through till the postie picks it up for delivery. In that situation, I don't see what difference "class" would make.

HOLA4411

Agreed, if they offered a cheap 3rd Class stamp, with deliveries made on Tuesdays and Fridays only, I'd use that for 75%+ of my outgoing mail.

Would suit me...anyway sometimes there is no difference between 1st and 2nd the time they get to reach certain destinations. ;)

HOLA4412

The public were told that it would take an act of Parliament to get rid of the 6 day a week service, in fact it only needs a statutory instrument.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/secondary-legislation/statutory-instruments/

I think the British postal service will face major cutbacks after Christmas. This will make it impossible to provide the universal service in many areas. The law will be openly flouted, remember the Railways after privatisation, people died because track maintenance was neglected, look up the Hatfield and Potters Bar accidents.

If companies are willing to kill to make money, then why would the Royal Mail worry about missed delivery days?

After Royal Mail abandons the universal service it will be stripped of the Royal title, and the post boxes will all need replacing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sorry-maam-but-royal-mail-selloff-means-no-more-crowning-glory-8857579.html

This will all happen before the General Election.

HOLA4413

What about personal postcodes?

Everyone's moving about these days, to university, to the parents, short term lets etc. For a yearly subscription, you could sign up to a Royal Mail personal postcode service. It gives you a unique code and a website login. You login to the website and enter your current address. You give the banks, the utilities, Wonga, etc. your personal postcode which they include on their letters, maybe as a 2D barcode or whatever. When a letter is sent, if the personal postcode corresponds to an address that is different to the address on the envelope, it is redirected to the address you've entered on the website. That way you only need to change one address instead of fifty. Companies signed up to the service could pay Royal Mail to be notified of your new address automatically to update their records. It could bring in a couple of hundred million in a year and help cut down on mail going to old addresses.

What am I missing in my drunken stupor?

HOLA4414

The public were told that it would take an act of Parliament to get rid of the 6 day a week service, in fact it only needs a statutory instrument.

http://www.parliamen...ry-instruments/

I think the British postal service will face major cutbacks after Christmas. This will make it impossible to provide the universal service in many areas. The law will be openly flouted, remember the Railways after privatisation, people died because track maintenance was neglected, look up the Hatfield and Potters Bar accidents.

If companies are willing to kill to make money, then why would the Royal Mail worry about missed delivery days?

After Royal Mail abandons the universal service it will be stripped of the Royal title, and the post boxes will all need replacing.

http://www.independe...ry-8857579.html

Yes I thought the act of parliament thing with both the commons and the lords having to vote it through to change the 6 day delivery was a bit suspect. bloke came round from RM for a chat the other day saying it will never happen when questioned as major parties will never allow it. wish I could video it all for future reference. he never mentioned the possibility of your link though, funny that.

I can see the delivery being flouted, it's bad enough at Christmas now with parcels getting left for several days if not enough staff in and a shit manager in charge. can see just 1st class being delivered and other mail left for ages. plus I think some extreme out lying areas only get every other day delivery as is now.

To be honest I can see the need for less delivery days to make it viable into the future, guessing the powers that be would rather say nothing will change otherwise if they say 1 day a week will go then the staff will just think hang on a minute other days will go soon and shit themselves for their future jobs.

I wonder who will get all the boxes as they are worth a fortune to collectors..

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

http://www.parliamen...ry-instruments/

http://www.independe...ry-8857579.html

No doubt it will follow the same path as previous privitisations, but the private monopoly will only affect one thing - Amazon, the uber monopoly.

No idea how that works out - could see a reduction in prices.

HOLA4418

Not too bothered about 6 days a week. More likely is an escalation in prices pretty quickly. In addition a sell off of land making a lot of money that should have gone to the government to reduce taxpayers burdens. They own lots of prime land. Not to worry though all the liabilities like pensions have been handed over to the taxpayer in advance.

HOLA4419

with regards to 1st and 2nd class letters, the vast majority of 2nd gets there with the 1st.

Yes we were essentially told this by Royal Mail that the best way to save costs was to move to 2nd. Trouble is the general customer perception is 2nd class is an inferior service. If you're sorting by postcode area inhouse apparently that does much more in facilitating delivery times than 1st or 2nd class, in any case.

Of course start shipping more than about 2kg and it's cheaper to go elsewhere and it'll be guaranteed nextday signed for as well.

HOLA4420

http://www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/secondary-legislation/statutory-instruments/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sorry-maam-but-royal-mail-selloff-means-no-more-crowning-glory-8857579.html

If you look at private couriers they have a tiny amount of highland and island postcode areas that they don't deliver nextday to for a standard rate and the premium is not exorbitant either. This idea that posting to anyone not living in a town will cost a fortune is nonsense and just pointless scaremongering. How much post is genuinely time critical? I would imagine a tiny amount.

HOLA4421

If you look at private couriers they have a tiny amount of highland and island postcode areas that they don't deliver nextday to for a standard rate and the premium is not exorbitant either. This idea that posting to anyone not living in a town will cost a fortune is nonsense and just pointless scaremongering. How much post is genuinely time critical? I would imagine a tiny amount.

ok, but is RM delivering these items for them? which couriers are you thinking about.

certainly isn't nonsense. I can deliver to 900 delivery points a day in Town by bike or trolley, and there's a rural delivery less than 10 miles away which has 350 delivery point, both take around the same time. the 350 one needs a van and a gallon+ of diesel a day.

I'm with you on your last bit, most isn't critical i'd say. well some stuff might be to some company who's trying to flog you something before another company.

HOLA4422

ok, but is RM delivering these items for them? which couriers are you thinking about.

certainly isn't nonsense. I can deliver to 900 delivery points a day in Town by bike or trolley, and there's a rural delivery less than 10 miles away which has 350 delivery point, both take around the same time. the 350 one needs a van and a gallon+ of diesel a day.

I'm with you on your last bit, most isn't critical i'd say. well some stuff might be to some company who's trying to flog you something before another company.

Tying together two threads, those who say a citizen's income isn't viable should see how much correspondence is generated by tax credits. I'd be prepared to bet it represents a low single figure percentage of RM's entire workload.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424