House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Polishing The Cv

It is a long time since I've touched my CV. Around ten years ago I pruned it down to a page and have been keeping it at that level since by slowly removing skills I was no longer interested in.

I'm currently on a course and one of tasks we have is to update our CVs. The style is completely different from what I'm used to although I notice it is used a lot on the Web.

Basically you have a header stating clearly your job title. Then a third highlights your core skills set and competences. Your career shouldn't just list the companies you've worked, there won't be room if you've worked for more than a couple but should organize your career by job type. For example I've worked for a dozen firms over 30 years but have principally been an IT developer so I just have 3 "jobs": Unix kernel engineer, C/C++ Developer, Web Developer. Then you put your qualifications.

Lots of white space. Something that can be scanned and read in 10 seconds, apparently.

It has actually been quite a struggle to adapt to this format, especially putting something in my skill set.

Seems to me that guidelines for writing a CV are vague at best since it's best to write a new one for every time you need to use it, tailored specifically for the recipient.

While 10 second scanning of a spare single sheet is going to work well for some applications where there is a person sorting hundreds to find the "standouts", other applications may benefit from two densely written pages.

Disclaimer: I say this as a person who has never actually wielded a CV in anger ever in my life

Applying for a job now is a complete lottery

Most small companies don't have time to read CVs from the amount of applicants they get. You have to tailor you CV to each individual job

Applying for jobs is a full time job itself. I spent literally a few days writing a CV for some jobs. Companies these days can wait until the perfect person comes up on paper who ticks all the stupid boxes rather than hire someone with intelligence. They can put in their advert bullsh1t requirements like knowing some obscure software as they know that someone will either bullsh1t to tick all the boxes or someone out of the 10 million applicants will know it.

If I am ever in a position to hire someone I wouldn't bother reading CVs either, I will just hire people I know or trust the recommendations of people I know and trust. Obivously at a big company this is basically impossible with the HR rubbish

So yes I support this 10 second thing

I once worked at a company in London that was in a VERY specific area, we got over 70 applicants for an expenses only work experience and the job wasn't even advertised on a big job site

Lie, lie and lie. They won't check and if they do you won't get the job.

I know 3 people who massively overstated their achievements on their CV's. Two work for Credit Suisse and the other for JP Morgan.

I never lie at all I don't have to! ;)

best to tailor a CV to each job being applied for and it should always have achievements on there, not just a list of responsibilities & qualifications

Lie, lie and lie. They won't check and if they do you won't get the job.

I know 3 people who massively overstated their achievements on their CV's. Two work for Credit Suisse and the other for JP Morgan.

Ideally qualified for their actual job then, which is more of the same.

Interesting. I've been in the same job for over 10 years now. Very occasionally I get approched by recruiters and have always politely declined but one called me a couple of days ago and I deigned to have a chat. They mentioned a couple of vacancies with companies I know of - not directly but they're suppliers to the same customers I deal with.

I've always been aware that, while I feel I'm pretty well paid, I could earn more elsewhere, maybe 25 to 50% more, although it can be difficult to gauge in sales. Having said that, I've also always felt that I work fewer hours and can switch off more easily at night in my current job than in others. Recently though, I've found myself working longer and feeling more stressed so I might as well take a look around.

I didn't get the impression at all that the recruiter had done much research on me so what he had to say was interesting in as much as I don't think he was trying to tell me what I wanted to hear - I think he told me what I wanted to hear by accident and he's struggling to find people with my kind of experience.

Upshot is that this evening I've found myself thinking about putting a CV together for the first time in over a decade, so I'll be reading this thread keenly.

best to tailor a CV to each job being applied for and it should always have achievements on there, not just a list of responsibilities & qualifications

Achievement is a good point. I can't be arsed to tailor for each job - at the moment it is the company that wants to bodyshop me out and they normally add all sorts of skills I have no idea about depending on the client. One client, ranting and raving that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about started brandishing "my" CV at me once, I read it and hadn't heard of most of the skills someone from the sales department had written down. :blink:

Agencies also like to pretend they are 'adding value' by messing about with your carefully constructed cv - and putting it onto some standard template and meddling with the input.

They nearly all do this. Which really takes away from the point of it.

So format etc is not actually as important as most think. Its content and key words that determine if you get an interview or not.

I put a 'key skills' box at the top of mine with basic bullet points.

I am certain that single box counts for about 95% of whether you get an interview or not. (unless you are director level or similar)

You can't polish a turd.

You have seen mine then, haven't you?

:blink:

Applying for jobs is a full time job itself. I spent literally a few days writing a CV for some jobs. Companies these days can wait until the perfect person comes up on paper who ticks all the stupid boxes rather than hire someone with intelligence. They can put in their advert bullsh1t requirements like knowing some obscure software as they know that someone will either bullsh1t to tick all the boxes or someone out of the 10 million applicants will know it.

At the grand old age of 37, I have just come to fully realise this myself. As someone with a conscientious and proper work ethic, I have always struggled with the whole CV and job interview process (honesty gets you fkn knowhere!). Yet, now I am fortunate enough to be sitting on a sweet enough conveyor belt of employment, I am quite amazed by the volume of bone idle clueless p1sstakers who are in well paid jobs around me (and my workplace changes all the time). Perhaps its not what you know, or even who you know, but a persons chameleon like talent to tell employers / HR departments exactly what they want to hear, regardless of what the reality is.

It's box ticking gone mad!

Ref your title: Polishing the CV

Do you mean polishing (as in making more shiny), or Polishing (as in making it appear that you are from Poland).

When I read the title I thought it was a euphanism. :blink: