House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

High Street Sales Begin To Ease Following Unpredictable Weather

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/07/retail-sales-fashion-weather-september

Retail sales growth eased back last month as clothes stores suffered amid volatile weather, according to new figures.

BDO's monthly high street tracker showed like-for-like sales across the retail sector, excluding grocery and online sales, increased by 0.6% last month - down sharply on the 3.5% surge recorded in August. Fashion sales fell 2.1% in September in a "challenging" month for clothing retailers as they were buffeted by changeable weather conditions, according to the accountancy and business advisory firm BDO.

It added that sales progress was held back as many firms chose not to launch heavy discounts in favour of protecting their profits. Retailers were also up against strong comparatives from a year earlier, when widespread discounting saw sales leap 3.5% higher.

I didn't realise that stores had their own weather systems...

So now if the weather can't make up it's mind it affects sales...

Clothes sales have been held back by the absolute shite most shops have on sale.

Don't even get me started on Tesco's men's isle - it's not like having two isles in a mega store is going to hurt their profits. Also their jeans are paper thin, no decent shoes etc.etc..

When I visit the UK I tend to go to Matalan grab a trolly and fill it.

At what point did we start to blame the weather for any economic woes?

Given most shops are now either in shopping centres or big out-of-town numbers which people drive to, I struggle to see the significance...

Maybe it's all the hardworking families struggling to reconcile the boom headlines with their increasing brokeness.

Next few months should see that reversed ... HTB2 -> MEW -> Happy Days Again

At what point did we start to blame the weather for any economic woes?

Given most shops are now either in shopping centres or big out-of-town numbers which people drive to, I struggle to see the significance...

Since gidiot and camoron took over the economy. Bad weather, too cold, too hot, too wet. Too many bank holidays, royal weddings everything's been used as an excuse

I think they are trying to blame the weather, not for stopping people going out and shopping, but for being variable so that people don't know whether to purchase swimming shorts or an autumn coat. So the shops were stocked up with Autumnal stuff, but we were still on the beach. Yesterday being a good example - (it was a gorgeous day here in Cheshire). Sounds like a poor excuse if you ask me.

As if people HAVE to purchase new clothes every season. Do the majority honestly do that and I'm just a weirdo? Or do people find that the jeans and jumper that they wore last autumn are perfectly adequate again this year? I know mine are, but then I've never been a dedicated follower of fashion because it's all bullsh*t!

If I am looking for a good quality new coat, jumper, shorts or whatever, I find it much better to buy few months later - getting shorts in the clearance sale around September time, and picking up a decent winter coat in about march when they are flogging them off then keeping those things until the seasons roll around. I'd imagine that a lot of people around here do the same (those that don't just sit at home counting their gold coins of course!)

Since gidiot and camoron took over the economy. Bad weather, too cold, too hot, too wet. Too many bank holidays, royal weddings everything's been used as an excuse

I'm sure it was under Brown that it happened. Along with catchphrases like "hardworking families" and "the right thing to do".

Don't they realise that unless you are growing or have changed shape....most people do not have to buy new clothes every season....good well made clothes well looked after can last for many years. ;)

I recently got a customer survey questionaire from an electronics retailer, they asked why I wasn't shopping with them any more.

They at least had an answer along the lines of "I don't need to buy anything but would from you in the future if I did"

I'd love to know what percentage ticked that option.:D

Edited by koala_bear

Other reasons, many jobs have uniforms now so day clothes not required, saves a fortune.....also people don't go out to 'dos' as much nowadays not having a need to spend money to dress up.....dressing up clothes no longer required. ;)

Don't they realise that unless you are growing or have changed shape....most people do not have to buy new clothes every season....good well made clothes well looked after can last for many years. ;)

And good, well-made clothes are rarely discounted. It's usually only the dregs that end up on the sale rails.

Best way to save money is to avoid the 'sales' and only buy decent gear as and when it is required.

Edited by Diver Dan

High street stores suffer worst summer for six years

Fashion retailers worst hit as shops blame sales slumps on poor weather and lingering low consumer confidence. Underlying sales, which exclude new store openings, slipped by 1.1% in July according to accountants BDO, meaning stores have seen three consecutive months of decline for the first time since 2009. Sales fell by 0.9% in May and 2% in June. Fashion retailers suffered the worst problems, according to the survey of 85 mid-sized retailers including French Connection, Oasis and Hobbs, with sales at high street stores down by 1.4%. Homewares sales fell by 1.1%, a surprise given the buoyant housing market.

Come on fellow posters...we all know its not the weather and that the sheeple are being fed any old chat to explain why their own experiences do not match the Government figures.

As already mentioned..... but also an over supply issue,imports up and supermarkets didn't used to sell clothes, internet, charity and secondhand, less waste has got to be a good thing.......anyway layers is the way to go, add extra or remove as necessary.

Had an 'expert' on BBC news this morning. Explaining to all us laymen the details of the weather impacts.

Apparently its just got to be exactly perfect - to get good sales. Too warm - nobody wants to go shopping - too pish - nobody wants to go shopping.

****** knows - they just make it up on the spot. They should be in sales....

Oh yes - they are !! :D

As if people HAVE to purchase new clothes every season. Do the majority honestly do that and I'm just a weirdo? Or do people find that the jeans and jumper that they wore last autumn are perfectly adequate again this year? I know mine are, but then I've never been a dedicated follower of fashion because it's all bullsh*t!

+100000.

Is it the effect of benefit cuts?

Only one reason of a long list of reasons why people are choosing not or are being forced not to buy ever more stuff....excess plays a large part, and today people have more choices and different options of where they can buy if they need or want something......more excess also means more people are and do now give things away for free.....available money then can go to paying rents, repaying debt and towards saving for a rainer day.....we live in a world of future uncertainty.

Edit to say, yesterday I saw a sign you would have never seen 30 odd years ago.....'selling your home, we can declutter and store your goods and chattels' or similar.

Edited by winkie