House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Co-Operative Party

Co-operative Party

@CoopParty

The Co-operative Party stands for fair trade, for ethical business and for people having a say in the running of their communities. Sister party to Labour.

If you want to join us and campaign for a society where people are put before profit, and profit has a social purpose, please fill in the form below.

Join today and you can join the exciting campaigns to reform our economy and public services, like The Feeling’s Mutual to re-mutualise Northern Rock and The People’s Rail to give passengers a say in how the railways are run.

"I declare myself a Co-operator, and agree to accept the programme, policy and constitution of the Co-operative Party, national and local. I will do all in my power to promote the policy of the Co-operative Party as declared from time to time. I am not a member of any political Party other than the Labour Party. I am a member of a recognised co-operative as determined by the National Executive Committee of the Co-operative Party"

The Co-operative Party will campaign for:

http://www.party.coop/changing-the-way-we-do-business/

Re-mutualising the failed banks – Mutual ownership is the best solution for ensuring a stable long-term future for these companies and ensuring that the risk taken by taxpayers will deliver for consumers in the long term. >> find out more about re-mutualisation of the failed banks

Access to finance – Credit unions lead the way in providing services to many citizens who are often excluded from mainstream banking. We will continue to assist them to ensure that they are strong and sustainable. >> find out more about credit unions and better banking

A new settlement between banks and society – Given the unprecedented support our financial institutions have received in the last few years, it is vital they recognise the obligation of their responsibility to society. We will campaign for the introduction of a Financial Inclusion Act, which will ensurethat banks have to serve every part of the community equally. >> find out more about our Financial Inclusion Act

Support for co-operative and mutual enterprise – We will assist co-operative and social enterprise business structures, and the creation of new mutual and employee-owned businesses. >> find out more about developing and supporting co-op businesses

An economy in all of our interests – By reconnecting our firms with their stakeholders and society, we’ll work to transform the way business is done. >> find out more about the economy and land reform

??????

What's that all actually mean though?

HOUSING?

http://www.party.coop/2011/10/10/sign-up-to-support-the-co-operative-housing-tenure-bill/

As we outline here, this week Labour & Co-operative MP Jonathan Reynolds is introducing a Co-operative Party initiated parliamentary bill to end the essentially feudal nature of England’s land ownership laws and create a new form of tenure, Co-operative Housing Tenure. David Rodgers of CDS Co-ops explains why this change is so necessary over on Left Foot Forward.

Edited by SarahBell

i always think there should be more representatives for people to align themselves with.

there should be a business party that focuses soley on business, a pragmatic party that has no political ideology, an education party that focuses on education and training, we already have the greens with the environment. a copopertaive party, a health party, a housing party.

that way when it comes to an election you can actually elect a group which most represents your interest for that particular election.

i dont expect them to take power but if they get a seat their voice will be heard in parliament and the government of the day will need to secure their votes.

theres no way a single party can represent your view on a broad spectrum of issues.

parties usually claim a false mandate for all their policies simply because they won an election.

if lets say 20% of the votes in parliament were made up of a series of loose parties, who concentrate on their own agenda, it would be more representative of what the public want at a particular time.

Edited by mfp123

Co-operative Party

@CoopParty

The Co-operative Party stands for fair trade, for ethical business and for people having a say in the running of their communities. Sister party to Labour.

If you want to join us and campaign for a society where people are put before profit, and profit has a social purpose, please fill in the form below.

Join today and you can join the exciting campaigns to reform our economy and public services, like The Feeling’s Mutual to re-mutualise Northern Rock and The People’s Rail to give passengers a say in how the railways are run.

"I declare myself a Co-operator, and agree to accept the programme, policy and constitution of the Co-operative Party, national and local. I will do all in my power to promote the policy of the Co-operative Party as declared from time to time. I am not a member of any political Party other than the Labour Party. I am a member of a recognised co-operative as determined by the National Executive Committee of the Co-operative Party"

Re-mutualising the failed banks – Mutual ownership is the best solution for ensuring a stable long-term future for these companies and ensuring that the risk taken by taxpayers will deliver for consumers in the long term. >> find out more about re-mutualisation of the failed banks

Access to finance – Credit unions lead the way in providing services to many citizens who are often excluded from mainstream banking. We will continue to assist them to ensure that they are strong and sustainable. >> find out more about credit unions and better banking

A new settlement between banks and society – Given the unprecedented support our financial institutions have received in the last few years, it is vital they recognise the obligation of their responsibility to society. We will campaign for the introduction of a Financial Inclusion Act, which will ensurethat banks have to serve every part of the community equally. >> find out more about our Financial Inclusion Act

Support for co-operative and mutual enterprise – We will assist co-operative and social enterprise business structures, and the creation of new mutual and employee-owned businesses. >> find out more about developing and supporting co-op businesses

An economy in all of our interests – By reconnecting our firms with their stakeholders and society, we’ll work to transform the way business is done. >> find out more about the economy and land reform

??????

HOUSING?

http://www.party.coop/2011/10/10/sign-up-to-support-the-co-operative-housing-tenure-bill/

As we outline here, this week Labour & Co-operative MP Jonathan Reynolds is introducing a Co-operative Party initiated parliamentary bill to end the essentially feudal nature of England’s land ownership laws and create a new form of tenure, Co-operative Housing Tenure. David Rodgers of CDS Co-ops explains why this change is so necessary over on Left Foot Forward.

Leftist mumbo jumbo that can be more simply summed up as 'give us more control of your lives, its for you own good, really'

Hard Working families working together in Partnership for the communiteeeee

My first silly thought was this may have been set up by the Tory's to split the Labour vote giving Labour their very own UKIP.

And yes it is a silly thought.

My first silly thought was this may have been set up by the Tory's to split the Labour vote giving Labour their very own UKIP.

And yes it is a silly thought.

Lib dems already did that and they'll be coming back to labour in 2015.

Its always been the 'labour and co op' party though, hasnt it? like the 'conservative and unionist' party.

Why anyone actually bothers reading a liblabcon manifesto I dont know. Its all lies, so why bother.

I think it's like the Unions supporting the Labour Party, it's a genuine left radical thing and they have enormous blinkers so they think the Labour Party is also run by and for Left-wing and Radical "fellow travellers".

Leftist mumbo jumbo that can be more simply summed up as 'give us more control of your lives, its for you own good, really'

I fail to see how allowing communities to take control of their finances is leftist mumbo-jumbo. Maybe you don't remember the time when (mutually owned) building societies were the bread and butter of mortgage lending and they would make damn sure that you could afford the repayments, since it was their members (savers - remember that) who were financing the loan on your home. Wresting control from the centralised financial tyranny of the city and "global investors" is what the country needs.

Ooooh right this again. This means govt underwritten loans to people who can't pay them back. NINJA loans, Freddie Mac, Fanny Mae, etc.. Must lend to poor minorities otherwise its racism.

Actually l don't know, but ultimately you are either underpricing or overpricing credit risk. The rest is window dressing.

Co-operative Party

@CoopParty

??????

HOUSING?

..the Cooperative Bank and Financial Services claimed to be ethical ...but recent events brought some of this into question....and the old adages "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged!" and "Let Him Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone" ...still reflect how frail our ethics and values talked but not walked may be.... when someone shines a powerful torch..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

I fail to see how allowing communities to take control of their finances is leftist mumbo-jumbo. Maybe you don't remember the time when (mutually owned) building societies were the bread and butter of mortgage lending and they would make damn sure that you could afford the repayments, since it was their members (savers - remember that) who were financing the loan on your home. Wresting control from the centralised financial tyranny of the city and "global investors" is what the country needs.

How are they not being allowed? Is there any law that say's people cant get together start up a Building Soc? Many new credit unions have been formed over the last few years for that matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_unions_in_the_United_Kingdom#Growth_of_Credit_Unions

When political parties get involved, it will be more of the we'll force some 'socially responsible' (if you tick the right boxes: single parent, muslim etc - if you dont, they screw you) monster on everyone, paid for by your taxes and purchasing power when it makes a loss (which, like all govt services, will be every year)

Im all for change to savings and loans. But the only role govt should play in it is to remove protections for banks, and other than that, get the hell out of the way. Rectificiation, if it does come, will not come from scumbag politicians, of that I am sure.

How are they not being allowed? Is there any law that say's people cant get together start up a Building Soc? Many new credit unions have been formed over the last few years for that matter.

I don't recall saying they are not allowed, but like any collective agreement, it is driven by education, media and the establishment. If people were properly informed about the long term damage of demutualising building societies, many would have chosen not to participate. But, like all privatisations and de-mutualisations, it was the privileged few who took the lions share of the shares, bought using, no doubt, money they had printed out of thin air. Tell me, just how does a currency remain meaningful when it's being perpetually diluted by money printing and deliberately lax fiscal policy? Credit unions are only useful if they deal in a currency which isn't subject to the whims of our so-called globalised market. Globalised, I might add, for the few with the means and not for the majority. That's not left wing, that's just fact.

http://en.wikipedia....f_Credit_Unions

When political parties get involved, it will be more of the we'll force some 'socially responsible' (if you tick the right boxes: single parent, muslim etc - if you dont, they screw you) monster on everyone, paid for by your taxes and purchasing power when it makes a loss (which, like all govt services, will be every year)

Political parties DID get involved. It was Thatcher and her insane political crusade of "privatisation" in the 1980s, driven by ideological fundamentalism. She destroyed social housing so that the city could make a quick buck, she deregulated the city, leading the the conditions for demutualisation and the wealth destroying speculative bubbles that we've seen ever since. I say, stop the politicians from getting involved and allow a true, representative free market replace it. A free market driven by the needs of real, working people, not idle speculative parasites, charlatans and psychopaths currently running the financial system. Foreign speculators are being allowed to inflate the property bubble in London and they'll not be around to witness that damage that it does to future generations.

Im all for change to savings and loans. But the only role govt should play in it is to remove protections for banks, and other than that, get the hell out of the way. Rectificiation, if it does come, will not come from scumbag politicians, of that I am sure.

Well that's true. But there's a distinction to be made between wanting a system which allows ordinary people to thrive, without the hindrance of government sponsored crony capitalism and left-wing politics. The government's only purpose should be to regulate in a way that's in the interests of society at large and it certainly shouldn't tamper with the system in the cynical, self-serving way we've witnessed since the 1980s. The troughers are going to benefit from the speculative bubble in London and they'll sell up just before it pops, no doubt.