House Price Crash Forum

Ambulance Service To Spend £27M On New Emergency Vehicles To Cope With Obese Patients

HOLA441

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/fleet-fat-ambulance-service-spend-2343570

An ambulance service is to spend £27 million on a new fleet because its 272 vehicles cannot cope with patients who are over 28 stone - The Sunday People has learned.

The rising numbers of super-heavy passengers are forcing East Midlands Ambulance Service to invest in new bariatric ambulances.

They have extra wide doors and interiors, electric stretchers and lifting gear to handle the severely obese weighing up to 55 stone.

The service's clinical quality manager Pete Bainbridge said: "There's a UK obesity epidemic and we've had a number of calls where the patient required a bariatric-capable ambulance to attend.

"Once was to a 55 stone patient in Derbyshire and it took a couple of hours

"In the past, we've had one of these vehicles for our area's five counties - so patients have had to wait."

Can a normal emergency ambulance handle a large patient? If not do the operators handling the calls ask how large the person is? There's no point in sending the wrong type of ambulance to an obese person however this obviously isn't a problem if the person in trouble is of a normal weight.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/fleet-fat-ambulance-service-spend-2343570

Can a normal emergency ambulance handle a large patient? If not do the operators handling the calls ask how large the person is? There's no point in sending the wrong type of ambulance to an obese person however this obviously isn't a problem if the person in trouble is of a normal weight.

These hulks should not be treated if their shape / size is self inflicted. They cost the NHS extra in Labour and time so they should have to purchase extra insurance to cover the costs that our NHS has to incurr because of the way they live. I have never seen so many fat useless people in my life since I have been back in the UK, other countries That I have visited and worked in do not have the same scale of this problem. They should be refused benefits as they are niot employable !! lets face it would a business employ people like this? Funny isnt it that a great percentage of Hulks seem to work (employed) in the public sector ! private companies would not entertain them.

HOLA447