House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dpg50000

Shop Prices - Actually Going Up For Some Electronics?

Over on the Xbox 360 forums, there's a topic on how retailers are only selling expensive bundles, instead of the base units (Core and Premium packages).

http://forums.xbox.com/461597/ShowPost.aspx

I've posted this response:

This "bundle only" expensive deals business doesn't surprise me. This is because:

1) A friend of mine works at an extremely large and well known Toy Store chain. They have the PSP value packs in stock, but are now only selling the £350+ bundles with 1gb mem card, 2 or 3 games (can't remember exactly) and a UMD movie. They will not sell you just a PSP value pack, despite having plenty in stock - my friend told me this was a head office directive. Thing is, they've shot themseleves in the foot - apparently no-one's buying them at that price.

2) MS will be desperate to get the "attach rate" (average number of games sold with each console) up, so it looks like consumers are willingly buying lots of titles at the same time as the console. I seem to remember them bragging about the original Xbox having a far higher attach rate than the PS2 ever did when it came out.

3) The retail industry is already bleating about how this Xmas looks like a poor one for them, in terms of sales. They'll do anything to get the consumer to spend more, although as per point 1) this may well backfire on them.

As for me, no way am I buying an Xbox 360 until the games are no more than £35 each. I will also be refraining from purchasing any PSP games over £35 RRP (GTA LCS was the first at £39.99, and now the new Star Wars is also that price. They must think we are all stupid!)

Taking this into account, and bearing in mind that the PSP and Xbox 360 are going to be some of the hottest must have items this Xmas (and the fact that Xbox 360 games have a RRP of at least £50 - ie 25-66% increase on "current generation" console titles), surely this will push inflation ever higher?

Sprogs already got NEXT years xmas pressie sorted. He wants a PS3.

Good luck trying to get of one of those around Xmas 2006 at a reasonable price!

Edited by dpg50000

Sprogs already got NEXT years xmas pressie sorted. He wants a PS3.

Maybe I being hard, but I think its about time some parents started telling their offspring to PS3 off with their over inflated expections. Bit like house sellers really. A little dose of economic reality treatment.

Guest magnoliawalls

Taking this into account, and bearing in mind that the PSP and Xbox 360 are going to be some of the hottest must have items this Xmas (and the fact that Xbox 360 games have a RRP of at least £50 - ie 25-66% increase on "current generation" console titles), surely this will push inflation ever higher?

I think this may actually push inflation lower. I think (and maybe someone who knows will confirm this) that hedonics are used when calculating the CPI and RPI.

So even though you are paying 25-66% more for your game, these new generation games are so much better than the old ones that it is actually better value.

:huh:

classic marketing!!!!

hold the item back while you create a media frenzy for it,and then charge a fortune.

some people are gullible enough to buy into it.more fool them.

I suspect this christmas won't be one of the best for the retailers,x-box or no x-box.

they are trying to get sneaky this year by hiking up the online prices too,but I doubt this is going to save their bacon come reporting season.

Any day now, IMPO, you will switch on the TV News and there will be some gulliable report holding an Xbox in his hand telling us that there is a shortage - and doing the marketing for the sellers. Happens every Christmas.

they are trying to get sneaky this year by hiking up the online prices too,but I doubt this is going to save their bacon come reporting season.

Oracle, honestly I find your Atavar VERY disturbing!

Taking this into account, and bearing in mind that the PSP and Xbox 360 are going to be some of the hottest must have items this Xmas (and the fact that Xbox 360 games have a RRP of at least £50 - ie 25-66% increase on "current generation" console titles), surely this will push inflation ever higher? [dpg50000]

I think this may actually push inflation lower. I think (and maybe someone who knows will confirm this) that hedonics are used when calculating the CPI and RPI. [magnoliawalls]

Especially when measured by the CPI (Consoles Price Index).

I play battleships on the back of an old envelope.

I'm hooked on Su Doku... must be The Times tho :P

BTW I'm not a games person, but when I do I still have my first computer bought with my wage from mid 80's;

MTX512.JPG

(actually the MTX512 with SDX running CP/M :ph34r:)

Strange thing is it boots up and loads a tape (actually a wav file burnt to cd now days) in the same time it takes a PC to boot... thats real progress isn't it :(

It also has a mean version of Defender :)

Too get back on topic selling "selling expensive bundles"... it's expected when the price hits the bottom, shops have to sell extra's like insurance / bundles etc. Now that consumerables like writable DVD's / Freeview Boxes are common and near their lowest price, can we expect them to stop helping inflation to fall.. I think so.

Edited by beerhunter

Just been shoppping - more of the new PSP releases are £40 now. Given that the initial maximum was £35, plus a fair few of the intitial releases were £30, I make that between 14% and 33% inflation on computer games.

Also noted that in many stores the prices of things you'd buy as gifts (including computer games) were actually up - due to less special offers and more selling at the RRP - recommended rip off price. No wonder retailers are having a tough time - they seem to be trying to screw the consumer for cash because "it's xmas and they'll need to spend". Personally, I bought a load of gifts in the 2004 post Xmas sale at half price, and have been buying a cheaper prices throughout the year. Only in the last 2 months have the prices started going up.

Big ticket items were still discounted though. Esp. HD tv's - may buy one soon.

Not sure about any convetional inflation per se... But I was in the Philippines on business this week and noticed that a wireless USB mouse in Manila costs less than a cup of coffee in Heathrow. I'm not sure what the implications of this are but on a gut level I can't help feeling that something is seriously, structurally ******ed in the world economy and a big adjustment is going to have to happen. I just need to work out how to maximise my personal gain in the inevitable carnage. B)

The latest PC games seem to have dropped in price quicker than ususal. I've been comparing prices at http://www.find-games.co.uk/ Pc Games that have only been out a month are already around half the price of Xbox 360 & some other formats if they're on 4 cd's instead of one dvd.

Is this quicker price drop down to the release of the 360, creating added competition at the graphics high end?

I spoke to a 2nd hand shop owner who said he didn't bother selling used pc games as they were easier to copy, therefore did not sell so well, so he only sold ps2 / xbox.

PC - Quake 4 - £20.49 dvd - http://www.find-games.co.uk/pc/B000066IUJ.htm

on - XBox 360 - £40

(actually the MTX512 with SDX running CP/M :ph34r:)

Strange thing is it boots up and loads a tape (actually a wav file burnt to cd now days) in the same time it takes a PC to boot... thats real progress isn't it :(

My bf is drooling over that machine!

:)

Well I have had my 360 preorder in for 2 months now. Lets hope amazon come through with their promise of delivery this thursday/friday. After that I might not be on here quite do often. :P:P:P:P

Oracle, honestly I find your Atavar VERY disturbing!

that one's actually quite flattering!!....the real thing looks infinitely uglier.

tried it on a dating site a while back but no takers.....this one seems a bit more successful!

Edited by oracle

that one's actually quite flattering!!....the real thing looks infinitely uglier.

tried it on a dating site a while back but no takers.....this one seems a bit more successful!

Hmmm... I've gone off dating sites! There is ALWAYS something wrong with them :o But I guess oh disturbing one that at least your not pretending your a six foot love god (everybody is 6' on dating sites - all those researchers who consistently find that men are the sex with the better spacial recognition factor should visit a dating site - men have no idea of size :lol::lol::lol: )

Hmmm... I've gone off dating sites! There is ALWAYS something wrong with them :o But I guess oh disturbing one that at least your not pretending your a six foot love god (everybody is 6' on dating sites - all those researchers who consistently find that men are the sex with the better spacial recognition factor should visit a dating site - men have no idea of size :lol::lol::lol: )

you should know me by now liz,no spin here....just truth.....pure,unbridled truth.

...but for what it's worth I may have a face like the back end of ua bus but I have a six-pack to die for!

Dating sites are a good way to meet members of the opposite sex in the same situation as yourself when you have exhausted your own local sources, however photos, emails and chit chat dont beat the real thing of meeting them in person, thats the only way you are going to know if you like them or not. :-)

Thanks for the tip, but I have found that meeting them is were the problems lie. Their own idealised versions of themselves never live up to the reality (Of course its me being picky. 80% of the time its only little details like MARITAL STATUS). I'm seriously jaded on that one. I don't think they are a good way of meeting the opposite sex at all.

you should know me by now liz,no spin here....just truth.....pure,unbridled truth.

...but for what it's worth I may have a face like the back end of ua bus but I have a six-pack to die for!

Try posting your six pack then. I've seen worse and more intimate on a supposedly serious dating site!!!

Edited by Elizabeth

Thanks for the tip, but I have found that meeting them is were the problems lie. Their own idealised versions of themselves never live up to the reality (Of course its me being picky. 80% of the time its only little details like MARITAL STATUS). I'm seriously jaded on that one. I don't think they are a good way of meeting the opposite sex at all.

Try posting your six pack then. I've seen worse and more intimate on a supposedly serious dating site!!!

Heres his six pack:

all those researchers who consistently find that men are the sex with the better spacial recognition factor should visit a dating site - men have no idea of size

As though the women's ads are any better... anyone on a dating site is going to talk themselves up because it's the only way to get any attention. It's not exactly uncommon to find women claiming to be slim and attractive when they weigh two hundred pounds and look like the back end of a bus.

Personally I met my last two girlfriends through penpal sites: at least you get to know someone that way before you start worrying about what they look like... basing a relationship on looks is pretty much doomed if you want it to last long.

Edited by MarkG