House Price Crash Forum

Huge Rise In Energy Bills: Cost To Soar As Firms Axe Cheap Fuel Tariffs

HOLA441

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/434453/Huge-rise-in-energy-bills-Cost-to-soar-as-firms-axe-cheap-fuel-tariffs

Fixed deals and discounts for vulnerable customers face the axe under new ­regulations, experts warned last night.

Under the rules set out by regulator Ofgem, suppliers must limit the number of tariffs they offer to four to make the market less confusing.

But critics say the move, though well intentioned, will backfire, leaving struggling families facing soaring bills this winter.

And in a “cruel double whammy”, energy providers are also expected to increase prices across the board – with the average dual fuel bill rising from £1,420 to nearly £1,600 a year.

Mark Todd, director of ­energyhelpline, warned: “With energy price rises imminent, there appears to be even more bad news on the horizon for bill payers.

Surely the soaring value of the house going up will help?

So struggling hard working families to struggle heating the home that's soaring in value.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Why do they need some many different tariffs for what is the same bleeding thing? Its not like you get faster electricity and gas therefore you have to pay more, its all the same.

Quite. It's not even as if competition has any particular benefit. Same wires, pipes, pylons, same gas and electricity. The difference is marketing, and that is a cost.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Well given that millipede has threatened their future revenue. Stream this. Is hgardly surprising is it? Make hay whilst the sun doesn't shine as it were.

Milliband will have anticipated this and worked out that Cameron will take the blame- and the limp response from the conservatives will reinforce the idea that they are unable or unwilling to stand up to the energy cartel. Thus confirming the meme that the Tories are weak against powerful VI's, even as they flex their muscles against the young, the poor and the unemployed.

HOLA448

Price of something to eat soaring - disaster.

Price of keeping warm soaring - despair.

Price of somewhere to sleep soaring - JOY.

here some recent daily newspaper circulation numbers. I wonder how a price rise to the Daily Express would be welcomed?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/table/2013/sep/06/abcs-national-newspapers

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA449
HOLA4410

More meddling that will not improve anything....(bit like young women paying the same price for car insurance than men, the premiums didn't come down for the men they went up for the women...lose-lose).

There are some people who always shop around at the end of every deal and make an informed decision on the best tariff for them, from the best company at that time.....now all these people who got cheaper fuel because they looked for it will now pay more....whilst those where the price is not that important and they stick with the company they know, and pay how they always paid will continue doing what they have always done....I doubt if they will notice what the price is, only that has gone up, they know it will always go up but they will always accept the price that they pay.......more meddling does not help IMO it will only mean everyone will always pay more...lose-lose. ;)

HOLA4411

Of course, the thought of killing asset bubbles stone dead via the tool more effective than Domestos is at killing germs, interest rates, is off the agenda.

Instead we are going to be subjected to a steady stream of attempted price fixing policies to sort some bubble or another in order to pretend it's all unrelated.

I'm afraid that raising rates would be akin to picking winners and the bank of England just doesn't do that sort of behaviour.

HOLA4412

Of course, the thought of killing asset bubbles stone dead via the tool more effective than Domestos is at killing germs, interest rates, is off the agenda.

Instead we are going to be subjected to a steady stream of attempted price fixing policies to sort some bubble or another in order to pretend it's all unrelated.

Interest rates are flawed. I'd suspect the north would suffer more.

Plus it would create a housing crisis with lots of people homeless etc... There would be questions of political legitimacy.

Then the small problem of the banking system.

Apart from that and more its a great plan.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Plus it would create a housing crisis with lots of people homeless etc... There would be questions of political legitimacy.

Then the small problem of the banking system.

Apart from that and more its a great plan.

Yup, look what happened when interest rates were raised in the late 70's and early 80's. It crucified the north and it's never really recovered.

The problem is different interest rates are needed in different parts of the country while they can only be set nationally. It's the euro problem in miniature. IMO interest rates are too blunt of a tool.

Enforced rules on loan to income ratios would do the job without the secondary effects on business activity that is in no way overheating.

HOLA4415

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/434453/Huge-rise-in-energy-bills-Cost-to-soar-as-firms-axe-cheap-fuel-tariffs

Surely the soaring value of the house going up will help?

So struggling hard working families to struggle heating the home that's soaring in value.

I think someone at OFGEM needs to pull their head out of their derrière! How on earth can the average dual fuel bill possibly be £120/month? Have they included Buckingham Palace, or a large number of business premises flagged up as domestic customers?

The various websites suggest the average usage figures date back several years, when fuel was cheap and before a good amount of insulation was carried out, but even a restatement of up to date usage figures will not being these numbers back to reality. Living in a house with no double glazing with the heating on at 21C all night during the coldest part of winter, I managed to consume only 70% of OFGEMs 'low user' gas. Anecdotally most people do not indulge themselves anything like as lavishly!

Wait until smart meters, electricity tariffs will be like mobile phone tariffs. Extra discounts for using tumble driers on sunny days when there is a good breeze.

HOLA4416
I'm afraid that raising rates would be akin to picking winners and the bank of England just doesn't do that sort of behaviour.

They don't have to pick winners, they just manufacture them by following policies that largely benefit the 1%- those at the top have never had it so good.

HOLA4417

I think someone at OFGEM needs to pull their head out of their derrière! How on earth can the average dual fuel bill possibly be £120/month? Have they included Buckingham Palace, or a large number of business premises flagged up as domestic customers?

The various websites suggest the average usage figures date back several years, when fuel was cheap and before a good amount of insulation was carried out, but even a restatement of up to date usage figures will not being these numbers back to reality. Living in a house with no double glazing with the heating on at 21C all night during the coldest part of winter, I managed to consume only 70% of OFGEMs 'low user' gas. Anecdotally most people do not indulge themselves anything like as lavishly!

Wait until smart meters, electricity tariffs will be like mobile phone tariffs. Extra discounts for using tumble driers on sunny days when there is a good breeze.

Everybody is growing weed in their loft! :) Expect prices to soar.

HOLA4418

Yup, look what happened when interest rates were raised in the late 70's and early 80's. It crucified the north and it's never really recovered.

It's a different era now. I'm not too convinced it was as you imply in the late 70s and early 80s either for the majority in the North, except for the over-indebted. 78 in North Manchester I'm told the couple living opposite my parents slept out in a tent and rented their home out, and the guy they sold the house to in 1981, cutting their asking price repeatedly to find a buyer, was shortly thereafter sent down for embezzling funds from his employer.

Yet the majority did ok in my opinion, in that period. The squeeze created more opportunities overall. Filofax 'fire up the Quattro / XR3i / RSTurbo - TopMan/Burtons, fluorescent socks / Duran Duran ' loads of new sectors coming into being during a shift in the economy. Rather than efforts to support failing sectors.

We need to shake out zombie businesses and malinvestment, and that's probably what happened as well in the late 70s and early 80s. Level things out from those who've over-extended, including multiple property owners. Forbearance and trying to pick and support decaying industries which have had their decades of growth and now shrinking, impedes new growth sectors/industries.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4419

Interest rates rise, and all those homes empty and lost forever and ever, homeless everywhere. :lol:

The effect wouldn't lower prices for those 3/5 homes owned outright (big deal), help bring about downsizing with older people hogging family homes, shake out big stupid malinvestors, landlords, and allow people opportunity to buy homes, lower rents, and banks to write loads of new mortgages.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

here some recent daily newspaper circulation numbers. I wonder how a price rise to the Daily Express would be welcomed?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/table/2013/sep/06/abcs-national-newspapers

Startling numbers Ash.The average is minus 10% yoy,with only 'i',which costs 20 pence going postive up 5%.

FT down 15%...although that could be down to more using it's online subscription.

How can the Guardian survive on 189,000?

HOLA4425