House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ticket2ride

London Wins Crap Town Title

!Gosh, it makes me want to be a "crusty" with a million pound house, except it doesn't!!

I would rather be a gentleman, with a lot less! ;)

One of my aunts lives in Southall.

"We live in Southall", rapidly followed by "but it's the nice end of Southall".

Really? I shudder to imagine what the "bad end" looks like.

Driving around town (Acton, White City etc.) just recently I think to myself "who the f** lives here voluntarily"

PMSL.

Driving around town (Acton, White City etc.) just recently I think to myself "who the f** lives here voluntarily"

PMSL.

And yet, just a couple of miles away in Kew and Richmond is one of the modt beautiful parts of the world IMHO.

And yet, just a couple of miles away in Kew and Richmond is one of the modt beautiful parts of the world IMHO.

Exactly, not sure how you can compare somewhere like Bradford (142 sq. m) to London (3,236.71).

Sure it's got some terrible bits, but equally there are some fantastic places too.

Exactly, not sure how you can compare somewhere like Bradford (142 sq. m) to London (3,236.71).

Sure it's got some terrible bits, but equally there are some fantastic places too.

Sure.....but there are some fantastic places elsewhere for half the price.....the people being just as nice. ;)

Guest eight

PMSL.

My sister used to live in Harlseden. I went out for a drink on my own one night, walked into a club - it was like an urban version of the pub scene in An American Werewolf in London. Mine was the only white face. I actually braved it out and bought a drink, but I didn't exactly hang around finishing it. It wasn't intimidating or anything but I did feel like a fish out of water.

PMSL.

And that's in places fairly close to the mother of all property investment bubbles. If only more of that money actually went into building something better...

PMSL.

Southall is an utter pit from start to finish. Saying you live in the nice end of Southall is like saying you live in the quiet bit of Damascus. I might be an uber snob but I won't even drive near there. Depressing.

My sister used to live in Harlseden. I went out for a drink on my own one night, walked into a club - it was like an urban version of the pub scene in An American Werewolf in London. Mine was the only white face. I actually braved it out and bought a drink, but I didn't exactly hang around finishing it. It wasn't intimidating or anything but I did feel like a fish out of water.

Somewhere I do drive through regularly. It's pretty fruity round there and to be avoided at all costs on the last night of the Nottinghill Carnival (found that out once and even that was in the relitive safety of my car). Lots of Brazilian and Portuguese seem to have settled round there too. I could think of better places to be if I'd come all that way! Like Brazil or Portugal.

Guest eight

Somewhere I do drive through regularly. It's pretty fruity round there and to be avoided at all costs on the last night of the Nottinghill Carnival (found that out once and even that was in the relitive safety of my car). Lots of Brazilian and Portuguese seem to have settled round there too. I could think of better places to be if I'd come all that way! Like Brazil or Portugal.

My sister did say that the only saving graces of living there were a) it was cheap and B) the neighbours were no trouble and kept themselves to themselves. It subsequently emerged that they were an IRA cell.

A mate got the name of the pub we were meeting in mixed up, or rather the bloke telling him got it wrong, so we were sat there wondering where he'd got to and it turned out he'd had to ask several people in order to find it. Right in the middle of a housing estate and when he walked in everybody was black; a woman at the bar turned to him and told him to get out so he did.

Stockwell 1990, good old multicultural vibrant London.

I went for a few beers with a couple of friends along the South Bank and up into Covent Garden last Saturday night. I grew up in the area and there's been a lot of redevelopment in recent years, particularly on the South side of the Thames. The weather was pleasant, lots of people were out and about and everything was looking nice and shiney. I missed how things used to be. My chums who hadn't been out in London for a few years loved it.

The nice bits of London, particularly if you have a few quid in your pocket, and it's not p***ing down, are very seductive, and ahead of most cities anywhere. If you like that sort of thing that is.

The crappy bits of London, of which there are many, are also world class.

Sounds about right. Whenever I walked past a banner hanging on Oxford St proclaiming "LONDON: Where else?" I muttered "Grozny, Baghdad, Juarez..." Never been happier to leave a place, still wish it hadn't had to take a few years of my life. Nightmare dump from start to end - if an area's tolerable to be in, you can bet your hind leg an 80th percentile salary isn't enough to live on (like, anywhere *near* enough). Only place I've found on this earth where you order a drink and can't be sure that when you hand over £10 you're going to get change.

Rich man's Heaven, poor man's Hell.

Maybe if I won £100m on the Euromillions rollover I'd be tempted to buy a nice little place somewhere smart and fairly central. After prices have fallen, of course.

I went for a few beers with a couple of friends along the South Bank and up into Covent Garden last Saturday night. I grew up in the area and there's been a lot of redevelopment in recent years, particularly on the South side of the Thames. The weather was pleasant, lots of people were out and about and everything was looking nice and shiney. I missed how things used to be. My chums who hadn't been out in London for a few years loved it.

The nice bits of London, particularly if you have a few quid in your pocket, and it's not p***ing down, are very seductive, and ahead of most cities anywhere. If you like that sort of thing that is.

The crappy bits of London, of which there are many, are also world class.

I always preferred the crappy places, just don't like the crappy prices. ;)

Hull out of the top 50.....

I'm a bit surprised somewhere as pretty as York is in the top ten, but when you factor high house prices and only pub/shop jobs available for most.... Plus I'm informed the night life is a tad feral.

I always preferred the crappy places, just don't like the crappy prices. ;)

I always live in crap places too! If a burglar calls in this town, he will be stealing wheelchairs! :huh:

My bag got nicked a couple of weeks ago in Liverpool Street. Thankfully I had my purse in my hands but lost my keys, security pass and phone.

I rang my phone constantly and the thief had a heart. We agreed to meet somewhere anonymously and he gave it all back.

Hull out of the top 50.....

I'm a bit surprised somewhere as pretty as York is in the top ten, but when you factor high house prices and only pub/shop jobs available for most.... Plus I'm informed the night life is a tad feral.

Cost of living is weighted heavily on this survey. Hull is pretty dire, but then a modern four bed detached comes stamp duty free........

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40665937.html

Nottingham not even on the 100 long list either.

At the end of the day if money was no object most people would have at least one house in Central London (talking at the Oligarch level). So its only crap because its too expensive.

High Wycombe at 9. Seems to be getting a bit of a reputation. In a recent Location Location a couple were horrified at the prospect of a house in High Wycombe.

Obviously a place to avoid, but being up north I don't know it.