House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Landlord Only Competition

The bit I enjoyed most was 'experienced landlord' Phil Spencer's tips on BTL investment.

That is hilarious

"I find it amazing how many middle-class people live in homes where £500,000 worth of value sits locked up,” says landlord Vicki Wusche. “Yet instead of buying a rental property, they invest in stocks and shares over which they have absolutely no control. They might as well bet on a horse.”

Far less of a gamble, then, to dip your toe in the lettings market.

"I find it amazing how many middle-class people live in homes where £500,000 worth of value sits locked up,” says landlord Vicki Wusche. “Yet instead of buying a rental property, they invest in stocks and shares over which they have absolutely no control. They might as well bet on a horse.”

Far less of a gamble, then, to dip your toe in the lettings market.

A bit off topic from the original thread, apologies. That comment reminded me of BBC Breakfast' piece on auto-enrollment. Business presenter Steff was at a warehouse interviewing the director and his staff about how auto-enrollment would affect them.

One employee was interviewed by Steff, came across as a bit cocky, said that he was not in favour of auto enrollment and has opted out of it. He wasn't happy that his contributions were going to be bet on the stock market as it is essentially gambling. Steff asked him about his alternative pension arrangements. He replied that he is going to get into property.

Yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

A bit off topic from the original thread, apologies. That comment reminded me of BBC Breakfast' piece on auto-enrollment. Business presenter Steff was at a warehouse interviewing the director and his staff about how auto-enrollment would affect them.

One employee was interviewed by Steff, came across as a bit cocky, said that he was not in favour of auto enrollment and has opted out of it. He wasn't happy that his contributions were going to be bet on the stock market as it is essentially gambling. Steff asked him about his alternative pension arrangements. He replied that he is going to get into property.

Yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

I saw that as well, why did she not remind him that house prices can go down, voids can last for months and maintenance can wipe out any profit.

If you don't want a gamble put it in a savings account. (And prey your bank doesn't go under)

I saw that as well, why did she not remind him that house prices can go down, voids can last for months and maintenance can wipe out any profit.

If you don't want a gamble put it in a savings account. (And prey your bank doesn't go under)

And, over time, houses fall down.

For a lot of new builds 'time' will be a couple of decades.

The bit I enjoyed most was 'experienced landlord' Phil Spencer's tips on BTL investment.

This bit in particular....

• PAYING THE PRICE

Many people got involved in buy-to-let in the days of 100 per cent or even 120 per cent loans, simply because they could. Luckily, it’s not like that any more. If you got into the market late, just before it crashed in 2008, and took out a big mortgage, you could be paying for that property for the rest of your life.

Does anyone remember Spencer, or any of the army of media rampers, talking about a market crash in 2008? Thought not! And now we have "Help-to-Buy" to push up mortgage amounts again.

Actually, there was no crash in 2008, a little bit of air escaped from the bubble, that's all. The powers that be are now frantically trying to re-inflate it, with the help of the same media rampers.

Meanwhile in other news, reporter says:

"I find it amazing how many middle-class people possess tulips where £500,000 worth of value sits locked up,” says tulip dealer Vicki Van Woosh. “Yet instead of buying a a husqvana blue bulb, they invest in stocks and shares over which they have absolutely no control. They might as well bet on a house.”

And, over time, houses fall down.

For a lot of new builds 'time' will be a couple of decades.

I wish there was a 'like post facility' on hpc. B)

My flat was built around the late 1980s, so its about a quarter of a century old now. Compared to the post war ex-council homes I lived in previously, this block is badly built and has very poor noise insulation. I give these places another 10 years tops. :(

Re: Phil Spencer's role as an advisor on all things property - isn't this just like getting investment advice from Kerry Katona?

I wish there was a 'like post facility' on hpc. B)

My flat was built around the late 1980s, so its about a quarter of a century old now. Compared to the post war ex-council homes I lived in previously, this block is badly built and has very poor noise insulation. I give these places another 10 years tops. :(

Re: Phil Spencer's role as an advisor on all things property - isn't this just like getting investment advice from Kerry Katona?

Yes there are some early council houses near me that are now listed buildings. Former LCC 'garden estates' in London are now highly sought after area's.

Then by 70's social housing had descended into concrete, system build, 'badly assembled by private contractors' and riddled with asbestos, rubbish. Amazed a lot of it is still standing to be honest.

Can remember DIY SOS going to renovate an ex council house which had been bought by ex tenants and the builders concluding it was basically a 'prefab.'

The UK is a disgrace.

Was reading the other thread about Polish planning permission, and how most new houses in Poland are self builds. You can order your self build house from a catalogue. In Spain now, some unemployed are building their own houses on local council land, and will then rent the plots for something like £12 a month.

Here we just enrich the rentiers. Living in the UK is like playing a game of monopoly where all the properties have been sold, have several hotels on them and if anyone as much as thinks as collecting their £200 from the 'banker' get told they are scroungers.

Edited by aSecureTenant

We have a society where renting out property is at least perceived as being better than investing in wealth producing companies.

In fact is is 'amazing' that people invest in companies.

I expect these people to also be 'amazed' at how dirt poor the country is despite us all renting out houses to one another in a paper chase money go round where no actual wealth is created at all.

Living in the UK is like playing a game of monopoly where all the properties have been sold, have several hotels on them and if anyone as much as thinks as collecting their £200 from the 'banker' get told they are scroungers.

Sadly yes. Social mobility is gone, we can see the results of its passing in every high street now and in many unhappy multi-generation households.

At the risk of setting the sites che guevaras off on one I don't believe it to be a failure of capitalism, for me capitalism or (dare I say it) what is perceived to be 'thatcherism' by many is all about social mobility, entrepreneurship and capitalism (not corporatism).

No political party is offering that any more and I don't see much of a future ahead.

I don't understand. How can you run a competition just for landlords? Is that even legal?

I don't know.

How would they prove you were a landlord. Or not?

I think the biggest problem for most people is going to be presenting them with an empty house to paint and clean.

I don't know.

How would they prove you were a landlord. Or not?

I think the biggest problem for most people is going to be presenting them with an empty house to paint and clean.

I think the biggest problem for them is that you can't set up a competition just for a certain sector.

Hmm, maybe I should enter... if I won they would have to come round and do up my gaff. I don't think they'd have any choice in the matter.