House Price Crash Forum

Milliband Overdoing It Now?

crashmonitor

HOLA441

Had sympathy originally for his position. But keeping this going only serves to keep the original story in the limelight...such as his father's apparent wish that we lost the Falklands war.

This level of seeking revenge is a bit unbecoming of a party leader and one wonders whether he is a second generation immigrant with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

HOLA442

It's political.

He used the letter to the owners yesterday to add the current meme 'cost of living crisis' - why? Not relevant in this context. Politics.

Milliband will simply not be an attractive proposition to the swing/wavering voters, so neutralising the press seen as a means of damage limitation.

It is an annoying trait that endless repetition and going on about things; done without variety, people tire and the dissonance becomes hard to ignore.

Politics is now show business; superficial, nothing but rehearsed lines.

HOLA443

It's political.

He used the letter to the owners yesterday to add the current meme 'cost of living crisis' - why? Not relevant in this context. Politics.

Milliband will simply not be an attractive proposition to the swing/wavering voters, so neutralising the press seen as a means of damage limitation.

It is an annoying trait that endless repetition and going on about things; done without variety, people tire and the dissonance becomes hard to ignore.

Could backfire IMO because after the voter has forgotten about these sound bites they may still remember his ''unpatriotic'' roots. Had he not been out for revenge or as you say making political capital, the average person would not have even been aware of the original article.

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's political.

Just switch off the telly and vote UKIP, that is what they fear the most :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447

Had sympathy originally for his position. But keeping this going only serves to keep the original story in the limelight...such as his father's apparent wish that we lost the Falklands war.

This level of seeking revenge is a bit unbecoming of a party leader and one wonders whether he is a second generation immigrant with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

having Mehdi Hasan defend him on Newsnight is maybe not the best bedfellow (secret islamic nutjob in a suit)

HOLA448
HOLA449

A man who has betrayed his own brother is not going to be kind to his enemies. He is trying to hurt the Mail as much as possible.

OK, I have little time for either Milibland or Labour, but this meme is simply bizarre. How the heck does having the temerity to run for election at the same time & win constitute a betrayal? And why doesn't it work both ways?

Hurting the Heil is, incidentally, de facto A Good Thing and everyone I know is cheering Ed for the first time - one thing most of the country agrees on is the need to stop that wicked little toilet rag masquerading as a newspaper.

HOLA4410

OK, I have little time for either Milibland or Labour, but this meme is simply bizarre. How the heck does having the temerity to run for election at the same time & win constitute a betrayal? And why doesn't it work both ways?

Hurting the Heil is, incidentally, de facto A Good Thing and everyone I know is cheering Ed for the first time - one thing most of the country agrees on is the need to stop that wicked little toilet rag masquerading as a newspaper.

It was a betrayal. Not that I'm a huge fan, but if David Miliband were the head of the Labour Party, they'd be sailing into power with ease. Ed is a complete liability and significantly harms the party's chance of being elected. Yes, Ed was better positioned to be elected leader after he did a deal with the unions, but it was clear to everyone that his chances of becoming prime minister were minimal. If they were both just running to lead the party, then it would be a toss-up, but intentionally blocking his brother's chances to become prime minister, because Ed overestimates his own abilities, is a betrayal.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

the labour party's idea of what should constitute a leader seems always at odds with a more normal view.

between likeable and competent I'd go with competent

while milliband may be within his rights to have a go at the mail, I mean jeez Louise, there are bigger issues for the leader of the opposition to be seen to dedicate his time to:, the deficit, Syria, the NHS, education, etc etc

he may be personally likeable in the pub, which is apparently what constitutes a labour leader, but every time they choose s instead omeone a bit more competent level headed and effectively educated, they simply complain he's just a Tory

HOLA4413

Thing is, the Mail, (and the times IIRC) published almost word for word the exact same article about 5 or 6 years ago. Didnt seem to bother miliband back then.

If he actually could refute anything, rather than say 'thats a mean thing to say' he might have a leg to stand on.

For years Labour have been calling UKIP racists etc but now they want to get out of the gutter, if the BBC weren't so biased they would point them out.

HOLA4414

Don't see the fuss myself.

Ralph Milliband's works were generally impossible to read neomarxist drivel he was probably more about making a lot of money from academic book sales and telling idealistic right-on students what they wanted to hear. A true businessman. Saw a market. Exploited it. Still, New Left ivory tower types' students later became the New Labour set - the Harmans, the Straws, the Ballses and Coopers who pushed political correctness and the idea that people needed to be mircro-managed by the political elite.

So in a round about sort of way, to the Mail mindset, it's perfectly understandable that they describe Milliband Sr as 'hating Britain'. Most of us would say the same about the Daily Mail, which daily seems to 'hate' anything and everything about modern Britain in perhaps a much more vociferous way than Ralph when he was droning on about the institutions of the state.

HOLA4415

It was a betrayal. Not that I'm a huge fan, but if David Miliband were the head of the Labour Party, they'd be sailing into power with ease. Ed is a complete liability and significantly harms the party's chance of being elected. Yes, Ed was better positioned to be elected leader after he did a deal with the unions, but it was clear to everyone that his chances of becoming prime minister were minimal. If they were both just running to lead the party, then it would be a toss-up, but intentionally blocking his brother's chances to become prime minister, because Ed overestimates his own abilities, is a betrayal.

If it were so clear that one Milibland were infinitely better than the other, presumably the Labour party would have elected the one more likely to win. Admittedly, more votes were cast for the loser than the winner, but that's a function of their bizarre electoral college that nobody seems to want to change, either then or now, not a malicious act by the victor.

Betrayal would be using family secrets that nobody else knew to blacken his name. Frankly, if he'd suggested that painfully embarassing 'David Milibland's dinner party' setup and promised that everyone would love it, that could legitimately be called a betrayal. Winning an election is by no abuse of the english language a betrayal.

HOLA4416

What this country needs is a massive fight 'til death between team 'left' and team 'right'.

When they've finsihed killing each other to death, people like me can live the rest of our lives in the Utopia each team are trying to get to.

HOLA4417

Ralph Milliband's works were generally impossible to read neomarxist drivel he was probably more about making a lot of money from academic book sales and telling idealistic right-on students what they wanted to hear. A true businessman. Saw a market. Exploited it. Still, New Left ivory tower types' students later became the New Labour set - the Harmans, the Straws, the Ballses and Coopers who pushed political correctness and the idea that people needed to be mircro-managed by the political elite.

A business spanning three generations and 3 countries to boot. At least Adolf Miliband had a proper job once (wireless operator - I didn't even know they had ADSL back then).

HOLA4418

David stood for election first. He was more experienced, competent and more popular inside and outside the Labour party. Ed did a deal with the unions behind David's back and David then loses. This was a betrayal.

HOLA4419

So in a round about sort of way, to the Mail mindset, it's perfectly understandable that they describe Milliband Sr as 'hating Britain'. Most of us would say the same about the Daily Mail, which daily seems to 'hate' anything and everything about modern Britain is perhaps a much more vociferous way than Ralph was when he was droning on about the institutions of the state.

I knew a similar type in the 70's. Young left wing academics (often wed to ex-students) with a taste for big, unmodernised three storey period houses (bought for peanuts then). Then they let out spare rooms to their students to cover the mortgage. Letting rooms often provided an enjoyable succession of unworldly young mistresses, impressed by what they saw as sophistication, idealism and maturity. Cheltenham, Bath, Bristol, Leamington Spa and similar towns had loads of big old properties going begging then, and seemed to attract these guys.

Malcolm Bradbury nailed the type in The History Man.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

yes his father fled from the nazis.

maybe he should be reminded of 2 things:

i) don't shit on your own doorstep,and don't piss off those who gave you hospitality and refuge.there is such a thing as overstaying your welcome.(and if we are going to get technical about it, the millibands etc are ashkenazi /khazar edomites, not semetic.).

...the ashkenaz v sephardic is like the jewish equivalent of protestant/catholic or the islamic equivalent of sunni/shia.

they really do feckin hate each other, but would like to steel their clothes and pretend to be what they are not.

ii) it was a temporary reprieve....next time around it's hitler on steroids...and they will be very much forced to come to terms with what they have done wrong, as we might not be either inclined,nor in a positon to assist.

for the really orthodox jews in the contingent,they know PRECISELY why it is happening...they are deeply god-fearful people....yes I do mean that.

they believe that if they do not keep up their end of the bargain with regard to treatment of employees( or slaves) in accordance with old testament laws.(should get interesting given the lack of sabbaticals and financial overstretch of "goyim") etc, then god sends people like hitler to them to thrash them to within an inch of their lives as a lesson in humility and discipline....but they are sheep being led by wolves

I think that the big man upstairs is still on their side...but..as we have seen through the present financial crisis...the remedy is tough love and bitter medicine.

nobody gets away scot free from this one.....and those responsible must now be grown up enough to take their licks.

the atheistic "marxist" jews do not subscribe to such laws(but they do still exist)..yes they believe in god, but make a conscious decision to serve the other guy....many orthodox jews suffer as a result

( orthodox jews call this particular sect in question erev rav...apparently versed in witchcraft, and it was forseen by the sages these guys would assume positions of leadership......came out of egypt with the exiles and god warned them not to have much to do with them as they have a different agenda)

HOLA4422

I knew a similar type in the 70's. Young left wing academics (often wed to ex-students) with a taste for big, unmodernised three storey period houses (bought for peanuts then). Then they let out spare rooms to their students to cover the mortgage. Letting rooms often provided an enjoyable succession of unworldly young mistresses, impressed by what they saw as sophistication, idealism and maturity. Cheltenham, Bath, Bristol, Leamington Spa and similar towns had loads of big old properties going begging then, and seemed to attract these guys.

Sounds more like Fred West.

HOLA4423

Cheap shot by the Wail, to put it mildly. Ed has a record in public office which provides plenty of opportunity for scrutiny and criticism. He's not someone who has come from nowhere, he has been a minister and was deeply involved in the last administration's strategic positioning. That alone is plenty to work with for a paper minded to do him in.

At the same time many political and media types live in close proximity to one another and their social circles overlap hugely. It's a bit like Sarah Bell's allotment sagas forming the basis of the national daily press. I remember after Campbell had a bust up on air with Sky's Adam whotsit it was reported that they were at the same family BBQ soon after or before. Youd think they wouldn't be seen dead with each other but it's all a bit of panto which oversteps the mark now and again, as it has with Miliband.

HOLA4424

I do not vote for Mr Miliband (usually), but that sure is a cheap shot to rubbish his dad, who is dead and fought for this country! :blink:

Well done daily mail! :huh::o

HOLA4425

Cant see what all the fuss is about to tell the truth....

Mail and other papers have printed photo's of Cameron, Osborne and Boris in there Bullingdon garbe and accounts of the havoc they used to cause around Oxford, its not like they have singled our Millibland (or his father).

Politics is like that they are in the game to be be under the microscope whether they like it or not. If they don't then they can go be a milkman or something else.

Millibland put his father in the frame when he mentioned he gets inspiration from what he did/his views.

The path to great office will be a game of hurdling and clearing the obstacles, if they can't handle it then they should get off the track.

Some here have criticised IDS and his families links to payouts from the CAP. That information would have been gleaned from the press in one form or another.

Its how the system works!!

Archived