House Price Crash Forum

Bargains In The Sun Itv 7,30Pm Tonight

HOLA441

Might be worth watching.

http://www.itv.com/tvguide/

Bargains in the Sun: Tonight

Today on ITV from 7:30pm to 8:00pm

As the nights draw in, many people in Britain dream of owning a place in the sun. That dream has become less attractive in recent years, with the economies of countries like Spain and Greece in serious trouble. Now, with signs that the Eurozone is stabilising and property prices reduced by up to 50 per cent in some areas, many are starting to think again. Jonathan Maitland investigates whether they are right to do so. SUB

Factual Current Affairs

HOLA442
HOLA443

More Brits (around 5.4million) are now considering buying in the sun they said, because of the property crash in EU,.

(anything to do with houses being just too expensive here I wonder?)

Greece down 30%, Buglaria down 40%, parts of Spain down 50%, they said.

Osborne's Death Bubble appears to be replicating Brown's to the nth detail.

HOLA444

It used to be called "A place in the Sun" when they were flogging apartments for £150,000, but now those same apartments are only worth £50,000 they have re-named it. Give it two years and it will be called "A £1 Apartment in the Sun", sponsored by Poundland.

Same as "Homes under the Hammer", TV programmes never say what happened to the previous occupier.

HOLA445
HOLA446

How many years rent does the capital depreciation represent for the last wave of savvy Brits going to the costas?

Interesting point, bearing in mind I think they said someone had lost £100k in a few years.

Wonder how much the rent for longer term properties has dropped down there now?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Only worth buying if you're going to emigrate or spend 6 months of the year in Spain.

Otherwise, if you're going to spend as much as a month a year you can probably get 20 years worth of that for 12,000 and that would be a decent place too and near the airport.

You can get decent places for 45,000 but there's a lot of hassle that comes with it of course.

HOLA4410

Indeed. Why buy a place now , unless you are looking to retire in next 12 months or less?

Capital growth is over for most of these markets.

The pound makes it expensive at the moment.

You can rent cheaply. As I mentioned previously out on another thread, I had 1 week in Tuscany in August for 600€, 1 bed in small residence. Pool. Great views. And owner threw in some bottles of Chianti. Nuts to buy.

But hey, as the nights draw in, the average over-leveraged Brit might just think it's worth one further stretch on their finances and MEW their granny in order to live the dream. :lol: . . . .

Edited by Agentimmo

HOLA4411

What about a bargain month's rental in the sun instead? Always about buying. How many years rent does the capital depreciation represent for the last wave of savvy Brits going to the costas?

There are lots of places for sale < €50k freehold, lock up and leave type of places in established towns/villages.

The main thing to consider is the running costs, local taxes etc, the cost to get there, size and popularity of nearest airport, transport at the other end......when they start charging +£50 to take a suitcase and hand luggage is the size of a handbag, either wear your clothes or have an available place to store them. ;)

HOLA4412

Indeed. I suspect their house prices are actually geared to the £ and the UK economy. Spain, Ireland etc were badly served by our devaluation and recession.

Now that the £ is rising and the 'Champagne Tower' of London is overflowing once more, we should see price rises all round these peripheral holiday spots of Europe.

further, if you buy at 1.15 euros to £ and when you come to sell the £ is 1.40 euros your profit after cgt (if any) will be hit big time.

currency fluctuations are often ignored.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Indeed. Why buy a place now , unless you are looking to retire in next 12 months or less?

Capital growth is over for most of these markets.

The pound makes it expensive at the moment.

You can rent cheaply. As I mentioned previously out on another thread, I had 1 week in Tuscany in August for 600€, 1 bed in small residence. Pool. Great views

Absolutely, my nauseatingly Bible-clutching God-bothering Aunt and Uncle, who in all honestly are probably the two stupidest people you will ever meet- they are convinced that the world was created by God in six days, 3000 years ago, and no number of physicists, biologists of chemists could ever persuade them otherwise- paid £150,000 for a small apartment in Spain about six years ago, annual service charges come to over double the amount you quoted to rent, and they never even go there any more because it's fallen in value so much that it just makes them unhappy thinking about it, never mind visiting it.

Still as I'm sure they'd agree, the Lord moves in mysterious ways. :lol: