House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Price Of Lottery Tickets Soar - Express Thinks This Is Bad

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/433936/Threat-to-boycott-the-National-Lottery-as-tickets-double-to-2

NATIONAL LOTTERY bosses came under fire last night as Britons voiced their outrage at today’s price rise.

A poll carried out to coincide with the hike revealed 78 per cent of Lotto customers say the increase in price is unfair.

The price of a ticket will double from today to £2 a line, prompting furious players to threaten to boycott the game.

A survey of more than 1,500 people found 73 per cent of weekly players are either “unhappy” or “very unhappy”.

It also found more than half of players feel ownership of Camelot by the Canadian Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan is “bad for the UK”.

And yet if it's house prices go up by 100% in 10 years that's a good thing and I'm sure most survey responders who own or have a mortgage would respond with happy or very happy.

Surprised they haven't gone with price of lottery tickets soar.

Are the prizes going up by a similar amount?

I only very occasionally buy a ticket.

The bit I saw earlier says the 3 number prize is going up to £25, so that's a better return. The jackpot is going up but not doubling and all the other prizes are going to pay out even less than at present.

They've done their sums obviously, and figure that there are enough people playing the same numbers every week who will be compelled to pay 2x the stake to make up for people who will no longer punt in a speculative quid (I am one of the latter).

Either that, or they are just greedy and attempting to take the public for all they can. That wouldn't be a typical way of doing business in modern Britain though :lol:

I'll probably spend £2 tomorrow because they are doing a one off jackpot of 10 million I think. Should just about buy me a house if I win that jackpot.

Otherwise, I will now restrict myself to roll-overs.

I'll probably spend £2 tomorrow because they are doing a one off jackpot of 10 million I think. Should just about buy me a house if I win that jackpot.

Otherwise, I will now restrict myself to roll-overs.

After this I've decided to just spend an equivalent monthly spend, £5, when they do the special euromillion draws. Not the big rollovers but the 30 or 100 milionaire raffles. I figure the odds are better that, buying 10 tickets when there are 30 prizes of a million than buying a single ticket in a number of exclusive draws.

"Misery for lottery winners as jackpot now only affords a modest house in St Albans."

"Joy for Lottery Fans As HPI Profit on Their Houses Mean They Can Buy Even More Tickets"

Lotteries are a very high risk investment, for a very small stake. A lot of people can't work out probabilities!

Lottery companies can though! I think they should all be illegal. :blink:

Lotteries are a very high risk investment, for a very small stake. A lot of people can't work out probabilities!

Lottery companies can though! I think they should all be illegal. :blink:

Not investment. It's a gamble. The more money you spend the more you will lose.

It's a tax on the poor.

Not investment. It's a gamble. The more money you spend the more you will lose.

That sounds like an excellent "financial product"! I would rather spend money on motorbikes and guitars! ;)

Anyone who bets on Lotto for financial reasons is innumerate. It is therefore no wonder they complain about a price hike.

Prices may increase; but the number of bets (and thus potential winners you would have to share any jackpot with) will go down.

The only certainty (except, perhaps, in a rollover) is that you stand to lose overall, on average.

It's not a tax on the poor, it's a tax on stupidity.

Anyone who bets on Lotto for financial reasons is innumerate. It is therefore no wonder they complain about a price hike.

Prices may increase; but the number of bets (and thus potential winners you would have to share any jackpot with) will go down.

The only certainty (except, perhaps, in a rollover) is that you stand to lose overall, on average.

Alas, that sort of response reminds me of the sort I witnessed in abundance heaped on a former colleague almost endlessly from other well educated, intellectual, erudite and well meaning colleagues after he openly confessed to playing the lottery, not long after it started in 1994.

He was endlessly fed all sorts of 'easy to understand' analogies, etc trying to explain the poor odds of winning, etc ('being struck by lightning', etc). To the dismay of his 'superior' colleagues he still kept playing.

Needless to say, as it is the way with the world, he soon after won £1900+ on a five number win!

He photocopied the cheque to A4, then enlarged it to A3 size then enlarged it further so that it was made up of several A3 sheets 'stitched' together - and big enough to cover the entire 'communal' bulletin/notice board in the large open plan office where I worked with him. Upon which he then stuck this giant poster photocopy of his personal cheque. Graffitied over it was his large handwritten comment, in thick black marker pen, the words "Read it and weep!"

It was almost the first thing people saw as they walked into work that morning. I will never forget the unusually subdued nature and quiet of the office that morning. Whilst he strolled around with a foot wide grin on his face. LOL

It may be an almost certain way to lose money but when it was only a quid a pop, the occasional bet was easy enough to justify given the big prize in the very unlikely event you won.

Hiking the price to £2 will put off many casual punters but as I said before, they are probably betting on the addicted people with 'their numbers' feeling compelled to keep playing at double the previous cost of entry and boosting profits. It will be interesting to see if Camelot have done their own sums right and this pays off for them.

Personally, if you want to bet then I think that premium bonds are the way to go. With typical interest rates being so poor you might as well stuff cash savings into them instead and have a slim chance of winning a big prize (and decent chances of winning smaller amounts) with the guarantee of getting your money back as they are essentially a form of government bonds.

Alas, that sort of response reminds me of the sort I witnessed in abundance heaped on a former colleague almost endlessly from other well educated, intellectual, erudite and well meaning colleagues after he openly confessed to playing the lottery, not long after it started in 1994.

He was endlessly fed all sorts of 'easy to understand' analogies, etc trying to explain the poor odds of winning, etc ('being struck by lightning', etc). To the dismay of his 'superior' colleagues he still kept playing.

Needless to say, as it is the way with the world, he soon after won £1900+ on a five number win!

He photocopied the cheque to A4, then enlarged it to A3 size then enlarged it further so that it was made up of several A3 sheets 'stitched' together - and big enough to cover the entire 'communal' bulletin/notice board in the large open plan office where I worked with him. Upon which he then stuck this giant poster photocopy of his personal cheque. Graffitied over it was his large handwritten comment, in thick black marker pen, the words "Read it and weep!"

It was almost the first thing people saw as they walked into work that morning. I will never forget the unusually subdued nature and quiet of the office that morning. Whilst he strolled around with a foot wide grin on his face. LOL

I'll make a bet then.

I bet he p***ed it all away on more lottery tickets because he was 'lucky'.

I'll make a bet then.

I bet he p***ed it all away on more lottery tickets because he was 'lucky'.

He didn't get the chance. His colleagues threw him from a seventh floor window during the first tea break....

Not necessarily only stupid people. For people who are struggling financially in dead end jobs they hate this is the way to have dream of escape. Some infinitely small chance is enough to give someone hope and allow them that dream. Only poor people need to do this, if you want to dream its now £2 and expect almost all will still do it albeit with less lines probably.

Like someone mentioned it's the people who just have a punt now and then that will be put off.

It would very interested to see the lotterys sales figures before and after this.

There are far higher taxes on intelligence, and enterprise! It will discourage it, until we can all be stupid, for financial reasons! ;)

It will suit the purposes of those in power! :(

Get six people all choose a number each....each do a standing order for 34p a week into a specified lottery account.....any winnings to be paid into said account, divide any winnings between the group of six as agreed in club agreement. ;)

Get six people all choose a number each....each do a standing order for 34p a week into a specified lottery account.....any winnings to be paid into said account, divide any winnings between the group of six as agreed in club agreement. ;)

Better still get 49 friends and family to to pay £1/week into a pot and choose a number the who matches the bonus ball wins the £49. Much better odds than the lottery.

Better still get 49 friends and family to to pay £1/week into a pot and choose a number the who matches the bonus ball wins the £49. Much better odds than the lottery.

There are lots of ways you can play them at their own game for less. ;)