House Price Crash Forum
rollover

More Money For Charities

The cost of a National Lottery Lotto ticket has doubled to £2. The rise, the first since the lottery started in 1994, is part of a package of changes including bigger prizes, says operator Camelot. Prizes for matching three numbers will rise from £10 to £25. Average jackpots are predicted to rise to around £5m on Saturdays and £2.5m on Wednesdays.

Camelot says this will mean more money for charities. It has raised £30bn for "good causes" since 1994. Total National Lottery sales have increased by 35% since 2002, when the game was officially renamed Lotto. Some 30 million tickets are reportedly bought every Saturday. BBC

The cost of a National Lottery Lotto ticket has doubled to £2. The rise, the first since the lottery started in 1994, is part of a package of changes including bigger prizes, says operator Camelot. Prizes for matching three numbers will rise from £10 to £25. Average jackpots are predicted to rise to around £5m on Saturdays and £2.5m on Wednesdays.

Camelot says this will mean more money for charities. It has raised £30bn for "good causes" since 1994. Total National Lottery sales have increased by 35% since 2002, when the game was officially renamed Lotto. Some 30 million tickets are reportedly bought every Saturday. BBC

So that'll be ~15 million tickets from now on

So the total prize fund should be 50% of tickets bought?

So the jackpot should be? It's been a piddling £2m on a wednesday and maybe 3.5m on a Saturday.

Yes I know I'd not turn down the piddling amounts - but I'm sure it used to be much more.

It's owned by a Canadian Pension company now isn't it? Which seems really wrong - our stupid people paying someone else's pensions. It should at least be supporting UK pensions?

I'm out now, used to do 2 lines a week for donkeys. Might do rollovers at a stretch.

I think this will kill them.

Wonder if some superstitious types will still have to do their lines come what may at double the cost and get into debt. At least the debt charities might be able to get a bit more support for people who go under on the chav tax (lotto).

Edited by crashmonitor

Ah yes. The National lottery. Giving millions to family run charity chief execs, their wives, sons, daughters, nieces and nephews.... and old school chums.

The worst misallocation of capital ever.

Ah yes. The National lottery. Giving millions to family run charity chief execs, their wives, sons, daughters, nieces and nephews.... and old school chums.

The worst misallocation of capital ever.

It is very much a regressive tax, the poorer you are the more lines you will do. Meanwhile good for creating well paid jobs for the middle class (as you mention) and entertainment for the wealthy such as Covent Garden.

More money for charities so a smaller prize fund presumably. And even worse odds for every prize other than three numbers (jackpot hasn't doubled and all the other ones pay out even less, and they were way below the odds anyway). Not even I'm cynical enough to think that a lot of the type of people who buy tickets every week will fall for this one, I look forward to seeing the amount being spent on the lottery dropping sharply. Even if it doesn't I've won - it'll confirm that viewing most of the population as mindless morons who don't deserve to be paid any attention whatsoever is accurate and not elitist.

It's a tax on those who don't understand probability.

"Oh no, if I want to carry on pissing money into a hole it's going to cost £2 a week instead of £1"

(With some people I'm guessing it's more like "going to cost £20 a week instead of £10).

Edited by Bear Necessities