House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Killer Hornets: Deadly Insects Leave 41 Dead And 1,600 Injured

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/killer-hornets-deadly-insects-leave-41-dead-and-1600-injured-8854105.html

A rare spate of killer hornets has left 41 people dead in central China, authorities confirmed today.

More than 1,600 have also been injured in attacks from the deadly insects, the Shaanxi provincial government said in a statement.

Hundreds have suffered from anaphylactic shock and renal failure after being stung by their toxic sting, which measures 6mm in length and injects a potent venom.

It must have been terrifying for those involved in this, must have been like something out of a horror film.

Hard to imagine a few of these buzzing around your head.

Big-hornets-in-China-530x353.jpg

Thought I saw one of these in Singapore earlier this month. I hurried to the nearest bar....!

Hard to imagine a few of these buzzing around your head.

Big-hornets-in-China-530x353.jpg

I think you'd 5h1t yourself!

Is their any advice over what to do to avoid them stinging you? Would standing still work or are they so aggressive they'll just sting you no matter what?

Have to hope that those now suffering from renal failure from the stings can afford the care they need now!

Here's how Japanese honey bees deal with a scout hornet:

Fascinating. From Wiki on the Asian giant hornet:

Beekeepers in Japan attempted to introduce European honey bees (Apis mellifera) for the sake of their high productivity. European honeybees, however, have no innate defense against the hornets, which can rapidly destroy their colonies.[14]

Although a handful of Asian giant hornets can easily defeat the uncoordinated defenses of a honey bee colony, the Japanese honey bee (Apis cerana japonica) has evolved an effective strategy. When a hornet scout locates and approaches a Japanese honey bee hive she emits specific pheromonal hunting signals. When the Japanese honey bees detect these pheromones, a hundred or so gather near the entrance of the nest and set up a trap, keeping the entrance open. This permits the hornet to enter the hive. As the hornet enters, a mob of hundreds of honey bees surrounds it in a ball, completely covering it and preventing it from reacting effectively. The bees violently vibrate their flight muscles in much the same way as they do to heat the hive in cold conditions. This raises the temperature in the ball to the critical temperature of 46 °C (115 °F). In addition, the exertions of the honey bees raise the level of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the ball. At that concentration of CO2, the honey bees can tolerate up to 50 °C (122 °F), but the hornet cannot survive the combination of a temperature of 46 °C (115 °F) and high carbon dioxide level.[15][16] Some bees do die along with the intruder, much as happens when they attack other intruders with their stings, but by killing the hornet scout they prevent it from summoning reinforcements that would wipe out the entire colony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

One victim told local media that 'the more you run, the more they want to chase you'

I can vouch for that, probably.

Had an English version buzzing around me in my yard while I was hosing down the concrete a few years ago. Directed the hose at it and pinned it against the eaves. Didn't cause it to move on, it. Like a cartoon, it just shook itself off.

Headed right at me. It chased me for about a km before eventually stinging me on the top of my head :(

they come into the bar where Baby Loo Works in Frejus.

Huge things, fearless. but dead on contact with the electric swatter thingy.

Had an English version buzzing around me in my yard while I was hosing down the concrete a few years ago. Directed the hose at it and pinned it against the eaves. Didn't cause it to move on, it. Like a cartoon, it just shook itself off.

Headed right at me. It chased me for about a km before eventually stinging me on the top of my head :(

I trod on one when I got out of the bath. I got a good stinging, but it died!

An 18th C English eccentric once invented a gun for killing wasps.

Not so eccentric now, eh?!!

I vaguely recall, many moons ago in my youth staying at a distant rural relatives home, being shown a miniature sort of shotgun for use on very small vermin like mice, rats, snakes, etc.

I recall it had a single barrel rather than the usual twin barrels we usually see, and the cartridges were so much smaller than a proper 12 bore shotgun shell (which I have several times since). The shot inside it was very small in size, almost like sugar grains.

He told me that although a proper gun in its own right it was so feeble that if someone were standing at the far end of his garden and shot at him with it he wouldn't even bother to duck or take cover!

Reading this article then made me also think "Hey. what fun...." we could all be taking pot shots at these impending invaders in our gardens in due course. BUT then sighed when I remembered how pathetically small todays gardens are! They're so small that they would probably fail to meet the above stated safety range 'test'. LOL

What a terrifying tale! Why do you think it singled you out?

I vaguely recall, many moons ago in my youth staying at a distant rural relatives home, being shown a miniature sort of shotgun for use on very small vermin like mice, rats, snakes, etc.

I recall it had a single barrel rather than the usual twin barrels we usually see, and the cartridges were so much smaller than a proper 12 bore shotgun shell (which I have several times since). The shot inside it was very small in size, almost like sugar grains.

He told me that although a proper gun in its own right it was so feeble that if someone were standing at the far end of his garden and shot at him with it he wouldn't even bother to duck or take cover!

Reading this article then made me also think "Hey. what fun...." we could all be taking pot shots at these impending invaders in our gardens in due course. BUT then sighed when I remembered how pathetically small todays gardens are! They're so small that they would probably fail to meet the above stated safety range 'test'. LOL

available in the UK:

http://bugasalt.com/how/

almost, the same.

I think you'd 5h1t yourself!

Is their any advice over what to do to avoid them stinging you? Would standing still work or are they so aggressive they'll just sting you no matter what?

I remember one of those bastards in South America. Just seeing one near you will focus your mind.

I imagine the best way to actually ward them off is by using smoke, just as they do with bees.

I remember one of those bastards in South America. Just seeing one near you will focus your mind.

I imagine the best way to actually ward them off is by using smoke, just as they do with bees.

Giant Cuban cigars? ;)

I went to Pakistan, for work,some years ago! I saw giant hornets! They sounded like helicopters! I think they were at least two inches long. I'm glad they weren't out for me! I was actually looking for snakes! They hide in the equipment tent!! That's where I'm going to be, soon! :huh:

I went to Pakistan, for work,some years ago! I saw giant hornets! They sounded like helicopters! I think they were at least two inches long. I'm glad they weren't out for me! I was actually looking for snakes! They hide in the equipment tent!! That's where I'm going to be, soon! :huh:

They were USAF drones.