House Price Crash Forum

Did You Have Long Hair In Your Younger Days?

Darkman

HOLA441
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Mid forties now, short hair for the last 25 years. My mid teens was my heavy metal phase and I grew my hair long and messy then allowed myself to get a blond streaked mullet on the suggestion of a hairdressing student I fancied. Kept that style a couple of years but I never did get off with her.

HOLA444

Always had short hair. It's always seemed the most practical ie takes less effort and can't be grabbed in a fight.

Like growing a massive beard, I do wonder if I should have tried it at least once when I was younger though. Still too late now - hair is starting to go grey and has a few thin spots too.

I dunno if we give up or just realise stuff like hair length, wearing the right t-shirt etc just isn't very important or the act of rebellion/badge of identity/symbol of uniqueness we perhaps thought it was.

I think the truly radical probably make an effort to blend in so they aren't harassed etc.

Age and growing old has its compensations. I'm not sure I'd want to re-experience some of my younger years.

Me too, long hair was never practical for rugby or judo.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Well since some of you have been brave enough to post photos, here's me...... on the left in the early 90's. I was a real grunge and rock fan, & played in a band of course. I really miss the hope of those days. And on the right is me taken this year in some motel. Getting some grey, and much much shorter. Male pattern baldness still under control though. Lucky me.

MeCivicCentre01small_zps2eb514e9.jpg fb00ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo2_zpsb73df9a3.jpg

I didn't expect so many here to have had long hair too. Back in 90's college I remember it was really a minority with long rock locks. The saddest example I could find on FB was this guy I used to look up to because he led a fantastic band. And now he's in a shirt and tie, with absolutely zero hair. It's a touchy subject because I'm not trying to insult people who lost their hair. On the contrary I sympathise, and yes it can actually suit some people.

Anyway, it's just beginning to dawn on me how fast time is racing. I told my wife that looking on FB felt like a friend had left a room, and returned ten minutes later having aged 20 years. It does hit you. And personally I think the ones who lost too much weight look the worst, not the ones who got chubby. I found a woman who I fancied something rotten back in the day. She had a boyfriend so it was unrequited. But sad to say she has lost her looks now. I never expected that would happen, and the girl I knew kind of doesn't exist anymore.

On a positive note, a few do look great. They've aged for sure, but in a nice way. Admittedly they look like different people now. But god bless great genetics. My wife has aged very well (hooray). Nothing pleases her more to be told how young she looks haha.

Thanks for the link DTMark. It's a good idea for me to read something on the subject, because it's becoming a big issue.

Back to long hair, there must be examples of people who carry it off in older age. Apart from all the old famous rockers, others have their own style. Billy Connolly has always had flowing locks. I'll have to think of some others. Whether I decide to try it again or not, I'm not sure. Work does factor in this. But I've seen a few long hairs in shirt and tie before. It can look pretty stylish on the right person.

Billy-Connolly400.jpgMens%2525252BHairstyles5.jpg

HOLA448

Well since some of you have been brave enough to post photos, here's me......

Back to long hair, there must be examples of people who carry it off in older age. Apart from all the old famous rockers, others have their own style. Billy Connolly has always had flowing locks. I'll have to think of some others. Whether I decide to try it again or not, I'm not sure. Work does factor in this. But I've seen a few long hairs in shirt and tie before. It can look pretty stylish on the right person.

You have a chiselled head! I'll bet the ladies love you! Now who wants to see the Right Reverend, Captain Doctor Viscount Pin?

I would advise the delicate not to eat before I post this, if I ever do! ;)

HOLA449

You have a chiselled head! I'll bet the ladies love you! Now who wants to see the Right Reverend, Captain Doctor Viscount Pin?

I would advise the delicate not to eat before I post this, if I ever do! ;)

Don't do it!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Which one were you Bloo?

http://www.dailymail...rd-Madeley.html

article-2323775-19C1C438000005DC-564_634x400.jpg

EDIT: Crikey - Ross Kemp went to your school as well as Sam and Billy out of TOWIE! Proper Essix.

Im not in that one....But Hello "Noodles"....working at NSA are you today?

And Ross Kemps elder brother is in there too...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well since some of you have been brave enough to post photos, here's me...... on the left in the early 90's. I was a real grunge and rock fan, & played in a band of course. I really miss the hope of those days. And on the right is me taken this year in some motel. Getting some grey, and much much shorter. Male pattern baldness still under control though. Lucky me.

MeCivicCentre01small_zps2eb514e9.jpg fb00ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo2_zpsb73df9a3.jpg

I didn't expect so many here to have had long hair too. Back in 90's college I remember it was really a minority with long rock locks. The saddest example I could find on FB was this guy I used to look up to because he led a fantastic band. And now he's in a shirt and tie, with absolutely zero hair. It's a touchy subject because I'm not trying to insult people who lost their hair. On the contrary I sympathise, and yes it can actually suit some people.

Anyway, it's just beginning to dawn on me how fast time is racing. I told my wife that looking on FB felt like a friend had left a room, and returned ten minutes later having aged 20 years. It does hit you. And personally I think the ones who lost too much weight look the worst, not the ones who got chubby. I found a woman who I fancied something rotten back in the day. She had a boyfriend so it was unrequited. But sad to say she has lost her looks now. I never expected that would happen, and the girl I knew kind of doesn't exist anymore.

On a positive note, a few do look great. They've aged for sure, but in a nice way. Admittedly they look like different people now. But god bless great genetics. My wife has aged very well (hooray). Nothing pleases her more to be told how young she looks haha.

Thanks for the link DTMark. It's a good idea for me to read something on the subject, because it's becoming a big issue.

Billy-Connolly400.jpgMens%2525252BHairstyles5.jpg

Thing about the hair - I've only ever seen Billy Connolly with long hair. It would seem odd it he shaved it all off. So, it suits him. When you meet new people, only you know what it *used* to look like.

Having moved so far away maybe it feels a bit more "distant" when you look back at your ex-friends on Facebook. But then when I look, although I have a lot of fondness for some of the people I went to school with and with whom I made friends, in all honesty, I'm not really sure that I want to meet them again now, we've all "moved on". It was a period, it was fun (sometimes) but it's over now and we really are different people from who we were in so many ways. So it makes little difference whether they're five miles or five thousand miles away.

Which is the potted summary of that audiobook I recommended. It's all about looking forward, not back.Forward to what, though... must admit I struggle with that a bit.

HOLA4419

Having moved so far away maybe it feels a bit more "distant" when you look back at your ex-friends on Facebook. But then when I look, although I have a lot of fondness for some of the people I went to school with and with whom I made friends, in all honesty, I'm not really sure that I want to meet them again now, we've all "moved on". It was a period, it was fun (sometimes) but it's over now and we really are different people from who we were in so many ways. So it makes little difference whether they're five miles or five thousand miles away.

Which is the potted summary of that audiobook I recommended. It's all about looking forward, not back.Forward to what, though... must admit I struggle with that a bit.

Oh I agree about meeting them. I don't have any genuine desire to do that. TBH saying hello to them via Facebook is a lot easier and less intrusive. We've all changed so much, we might have little in common now. So just posting little comments on old photos and memories is probably enough. Making contact with them again online and knowing they are still alive was "enough". Perhaps I didn't like the thought of having "lost" them.

Knowing what to look forward to is the big question I think. I'm sure there are many good times coming in many forms, but let's face it when you reach middle age a few crucial things have changed. Any chance or hope you had of making it big in any youth orientated area is over. For me, my band days were about hope. It was a slim chance of making it, but the possibility was very motivating. Another thing that has changed is our parents are either very elderly or already gone. It's surprising how much of our motivation is really about trying to impress our family. Once your parents are gone, is there much left to prove anymore?

I suppose you just have to treat it as a new and different era, where the main reason for going on is to enjoy yourself as much as possible, because we're not here for that long. In fact these days my strongest motivation in life is being aware how short life is. There are things I need to achieve before I pop my clogs :)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's a bit blurry but here's me aged 23 (cringe :lol: ) with my bike and my car. Have had hair much longer than that tho.

bike_zpsd014cdc2.jpg

Christ Almighty! A 1938 Flying Whippet! You were blessed Harry! What the fugg is that car? Did you rob a museum? :P

HOLA4422

It's a bit blurry but here's me aged 23 (cringe :lol: ) with my bike and my car. Have had hair much longer than that tho.

Ah. You were Bobby Kerr!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Just for fun, I'll see if anyone can identify either the car or the bike, and if not I might tell you then! ;)

think the bike is some sort of Yamaha! The car might be a Standard!

You have won!! You have defeated the Pin! ;)

Archived