House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Did You Have Long Hair In Your Younger Days?

This is a ramble, so don't expect shattering world news or stunning wit......

I've been perusing old photos... some from a FB group for old school friends that I started. Now at 41 I seem to spend more and more time looking back rather than forward for some reason. Maybe because when I was much younger I didn't have a long past to get nostalgic about? Anyway, I digress.....

I had very long hair when I was around 18 to 22, as did most of my pals, male and female. It was definitely due in part to being rock fans. And it also seemed to be "the thing to do". But now in my 40's I have very short hair, and began cutting it short probably around age 25 or so. I don't think cutting it was a big deal at the time, since I could always grow it back. But I never did. And seeing a lot of my friends now on FB from some 20 years ago, every single one of them has cut their hair short too. And this includes some of the females too. Of course some guys have baldness and so can't maintain long hair anymore, which is fair enough. As a result I think it's aged some of them, and made them all look a bit pedestrian and .. well.... old.

So why do we do these kinds of things as we get older? Do we just give up?

Yes I know the obvious answer is we "grow up". But what does that mean? How does altering our image to conform with everyone else indicate maturity? I'm betting most of those people listen to the same sort of music they did back then. I know I do. Maybe it's just simply laziness. When you're working a 9-5, and perhaps looking after kids.... how much time do you have to spend on your own vanity? I think in my case this is the answer. I just haven't been bothered to consider my appearance anymore, which is a bit sad really. Or is it? In my college days (great days) I had a lot more time on my hands and a brilliant social scene to enjoy. Maybe self-image was more important back then?

Hate to say this, but the one friend I do have who still has long hair looks a bit... silly. Or perhaps looks a little immature. I don't like to think that, because it's just appearance, and I'd prefer people not to age and still look interesting. But this one guy has stuck with the rock fashion into his 40's.... and it doesn't impress. I don't even know exactly why. Part of me likes the fact he hasn't changed though. I mean, why should he? Why should any of us blandify ourselves just because we're older now? Maybe it was just his heavy metal T-shirt spoiling the overall picture. With some snappier threads he could look great perhaps....

What also struck me looking at pictures of people I knew from way back was how they had aged so differently. Some look exactly the same, while others have aged badly. Weight gain and weight loss can equally change someones appearance badly. I guess it's genetics, or people not looking after themselves and others staying in shape. Men have the biggest disadvantage I think, because they often lose their hair. It's often said women suffer more from age and men get away with it. Not sure I agree with that! Weight and hair length can be changed. Hair loss is a different matter.

Did you have long hair in your youth, or some outrageous style? And years later what do you look like now?

Do you miss those days when everyone looked interesting?

Am I going through a mid-life crisis? :D

I had long hair in my late teens. I'm not sure it suited me that well, but I liked having it. I got a short back and sides after I flunked out of university aged 20 and had to go and get a job. I started losing it when I was 21, so I bleached it blonde for a while, which I did think was quite a good look, though better after it had grown out a bit so I just had blonde tips! When I met my now wife she banned the bleaching, and a year later she told me that I was flogging a dead horse trying to pretend that I wasn't a baldy, and persuaded me to have a crew cut. Now I just give it a going over with the clippers without any attachment once a week, so I'm virtually a skinhead.

I'm not bitter about the fact that I'm bald; my dad is bald and all the men on my mum's side of the family are bald, so it was inevitable really. But I'd still like it back! I once read that more money is spent looking for a cure for baldness than on looking for a cure for HIV, so I keep hoping that a miracle cure will turn up one day. I'll pay good money for it if it does! And then I'll grow a mohican for a bit :) .

I'm betting most of those people listen to the same sort of music they did back then. I know I do.

My car radio has four stations saved in the presets- Radio 4, and three pirate dance music stations :lol: .

People mostly just get more conformist as they age. It's sad in a way, but society seems to expect it, and it takes a strong will to resist all the peer pressure.

I'm 37 and would have long hair again if I could, but unfortunately baldness prevents me. I do have a big beard to compensate, but to be honest that makes me look several years older and a bit rougher so in reality it isn't helping my appearance.

I play in rock bands, so many of my friends are musicians who mostly had proper long hair back in the day.The vast majority have now gone short, with many sadly forced to due to baldness.

My one mate got into his 40's with long hair and only cut it off when people started calling him Terry Nutkins.

I had long hair in my late teens. I'm not sure it suited me that well, but I liked having it. I got a short back and sides after I flunked out of university aged 20 and had to go and get a job. I started losing it when I was 21, so I bleached it blonde for a while, which I did think was quite a good look, though better after it had grown out a bit so I just had blonde tips! When I met my now wife she banned the bleaching, and a year later she told me that I was flogging a dead horse trying to pretend that I wasn't a baldy, and persuaded me to have a crew cut. Now I just give it a going over with the clippers without any attachment once a week, so I'm virtually a skinhead.

I'm not bitter about the fact that I'm bald; my dad is bald and all the men on my mum's side of the family are bald, so it was inevitable really. But I'd still like it back! I once read that more money is spent looking for a cure for baldness than on looking for a cure for HIV, so I keep hoping that a miracle cure will turn up one day. I'll pay good money for it if it does! And then I'll grow a mohican for a bit :) .

My car radio has four stations saved in the presets- Radio 4, and three pirate dance music stations :lol: .

Mr B had pretty long hair aeons ago, and when he was working in the Middle East it was very sun-streaked. (He has bugger all hair now.)

Recently, after someone we knew very well in the ME died, he emailed a very old photo of him and this person to our daughters. One of them replied: "Lovely photo, dad - who's that hippy with the highlights?" ;-)

I think it is a mid-life thing. I listened to an audio book on the phenomenon which I found useful, Dr. James Hollis prefers to call it The Middle Passage as opposed to the "midlife crisis".

I do find my mind randomly casting itself back to events from my youth as though it's trying to "reconnect" somehow, or to "make sense" of things. Even tiny little events, things people said or did twenty years ago just seem to appear out of the ether (particularly in the first ten minutes after I wake).

I did try to grow long hair when I was about 15 but my hair won't really grow long. it just looks wispy. I did however have a massive Rick Astley quiff that took me nearly an hour to do, I also had gold and red highlights at one time :)

Normally my hair looks like it does in the photo and I'm lucky insofar as my father lost his hair when he was about 26 however for the sake of expediency and having "settled down" with a partner (so I'm not "on the market") who also shaves his hair if I can't get along to the hairdressers I'll often borrow the haircutting thing he uses and shave it all off however although it suits some people (like Rave) it does make me look a bit like I've recently undergone a course of chemotherapy. But then I don't have to be ready to, er, exhibit myself at a nightclub to attract a mate.

I know what you mean about Facebook. Some people look the same as they ever did and some people look like they've really "let themselves go", you squint at the photo thinking "is that really the same person?"

I think it's all about "finding your identity" and when you're younger it hasn't been established yet, so you experiment a bit more. Like the way so many people at university become Marxists and that lasts right up until the time they land a well paying job.

I can chart my own inexorable decline... mind you now I look at it... (aged 13, aged 26, now aged 40)... a child of the 80s indeed.

age13.jpgage26.jpgage40.jpg

I did have long hair! I don't have quite so much now!

Back in the day, people grew their hair as long as they could, whether it looked like sh!t or not!

For reference, see Elton John in the 70s! He didn't fool me!

DTMark, that's very good advice. If you have "wispy" hair, don't try to grow it long! It will look bad! ;)

And for the bald guys, so what! That's a lot of men, and thankfully, I do not see the adverts for "toupees" in the Saturday paper, like I did, when I was a kid! Do you think that will fool anyone?

You could always wear a hat! :blink:

I had long hair in my teens. I have it cropped very short now, I can't stand the feel of it when it's long.

Nothing wrong with being bald, but whenever I see a man with a comb-over, I see a man who thinks he can kid people, and is trying to kid himself.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't have long hair, I would have very wide hair.

I had long hair from about 20 to almost 40! I shaved it when the bald patch at the back got too big to ignore, and I saw an acquaintance with the same symptoms... he is still long and bald, I am a no.3!

Guest eight

I had long hair in my teens. I have it cropped very short now, I can't stand the feel of it when it's long.

Nothing wrong with being bald, but whenever I see a man with a comb-over, I see a man who thinks he can kid people, and is trying to kid himself.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't have long hair, I would have very wide hair.

I am quite bald now, but the passport before last I have long hair! I used to play football with an alice band in, due to being very taken with Patrik Berger during Euro 96. Must have looked like a right tosser!

I think I secretly like (or at least am relieved, on some level) to not have to bother about hair - it's like he says in Men Behaving Badly, the reason men go bald is to stop them having any more crap hairstyles. Also now I don't have to keep brushing it off my face anymore I could never handle that particular irritation again, frankly. I have noticed that "boyish" hair (ie. not just not being bald, but still having hair on your temples at forty) is very much associated with twattishness - see George Osbourne and in fact many career politicians for example.

Guest eight

I can chart my own inexorable decline... mind you now I look at it... (aged 13, aged 26, now aged 40)... a child of the 80s indeed.

age13.jpgage26.jpgage40.jpg

No offence, but these look like Daily Mail before and after photos. It's just before and after what that I can't put my finger on....

(I'm much too much of a coward to post similar for general hilarity and derision).

No offence, but these look like Daily Mail before and after photos. It's just before and after what that I can't put my finger on....

I know what you mean. Neither can I. "Setting down". 27 years of life... joining this forum came a bit after the middle photo. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable dressing like that now. That first photo is hilarious.

(I'm much too much of a coward to post similar for general hilarity and derision).

Oh go on, you know you want to. It was Dame Edna Everage who once said "if you can't laugh at yourself you could be missing the joke of the century".

As an aside, a gold star for anyone who can quote the *exact* location in which that first photo was taken..

As an aside, a gold star for anyone who can quote the *exact* location in which that first photo was taken..

In front of an enormous Richard Dadd painting?

First grew my hair long at 17 and loved it.

A year later I decided to smarten up and get it cut short..before missing the long hair and growing it back again...then spent the next few years going back and fore between long and short styles - probably something about how I wanted people to see me that made me get it cut each time..or not...

I stopped the whole short-long-short-long cycle about 7 years ago and let it grow. I'm 36 now and it's still long, just tied back for work. I love it. When my hair is short it needs hair product and takes ages to get into some semblance of order. Now its long, I just tie it back and get on with my day. Perfect!

Over a year of lurking about on hpc and when I finally make my first post, its about my hairstyle. :rolleyes:

Always had short hair. It's always seemed the most practical ie takes less effort and can't be grabbed in a fight.

Like growing a massive beard, I do wonder if I should have tried it at least once when I was younger though. Still too late now - hair is starting to go grey and has a few thin spots too.

I dunno if we give up or just realise stuff like hair length, wearing the right t-shirt etc just isn't very important or the act of rebellion/badge of identity/symbol of uniqueness we perhaps thought it was.

I think the truly radical probably make an effort to blend in so they aren't harassed etc.

Age and growing old has its compensations. I'm not sure I'd want to re-experience some of my younger years.

i have a school photo and yes, long hair was de riguer and mine came down to the shoulder.

In the same photo is a young Philip Hammond....Long hair too. Richard Madeley didnt make it to this photo as he left school after the 5th Form, but he too had long hair.

This is a ramble, so don't expect shattering world news or stunning wit......

I've been perusing old photos... some from a FB group for old school friends that I started. Now at 41 I seem to spend more and more time looking back rather than forward for some reason. Maybe because when I was much younger I didn't have a long past to get nostalgic about? Anyway, I digress.....

I had very long hair when I was around 18 to 22, as did most of my pals, male and female. It was definitely due in part to being rock fans. And it also seemed to be "the thing to do". But now in my 40's I have very short hair, and began cutting it short probably around age 25 or so. I don't think cutting it was a big deal at the time, since I could always grow it back. But I never did. And seeing a lot of my friends now on FB from some 20 years ago, every single one of them has cut their hair short too. And this includes some of the females too. Of course some guys have baldness and so can't maintain long hair anymore, which is fair enough. As a result I think it's aged some of them, and made them all look a bit pedestrian and .. well.... old.

So why do we do these kinds of things as we get older? Do we just give up?

Yes I know the obvious answer is we "grow up". But what does that mean? How does altering our image to conform with everyone else indicate maturity? I'm betting most of those people listen to the same sort of music they did back then. I know I do. Maybe it's just simply laziness. When you're working a 9-5, and perhaps looking after kids.... how much time do you have to spend on your own vanity? I think in my case this is the answer. I just haven't been bothered to consider my appearance anymore, which is a bit sad really. Or is it? In my college days (great days) I had a lot more time on my hands and a brilliant social scene to enjoy. Maybe self-image was more important back then?

Hate to say this, but the one friend I do have who still has long hair looks a bit... silly. Or perhaps looks a little immature. I don't like to think that, because it's just appearance, and I'd prefer people not to age and still look interesting. But this one guy has stuck with the rock fashion into his 40's.... and it doesn't impress. I don't even know exactly why. Part of me likes the fact he hasn't changed though. I mean, why should he? Why should any of us blandify ourselves just because we're older now? Maybe it was just his heavy metal T-shirt spoiling the overall picture. With some snappier threads he could look great perhaps....

What also struck me looking at pictures of people I knew from way back was how they had aged so differently. Some look exactly the same, while others have aged badly. Weight gain and weight loss can equally change someones appearance badly. I guess it's genetics, or people not looking after themselves and others staying in shape. Men have the biggest disadvantage I think, because they often lose their hair. It's often said women suffer more from age and men get away with it. Not sure I agree with that! Weight and hair length can be changed. Hair loss is a different matter.

Did you have long hair in your youth, or some outrageous style? And years later what do you look like now?

Do you miss those days when everyone looked interesting?

Am I going through a mid-life crisis? :D

Very strange the passage of time isn`t it? I had long hair in the early 80`s, heavy metal days, so I`m a bit older than you, and some of the heros from that era (Ritchie Blackmore for example, now pushing 70) still have long hair strangely enough :lol: I started going bald in my early 20`s, and a girlfriend I had at the time used to tease me about it. One time at a cousins house her young son ran round the back of the couch and went "Oh...look at the big baldy patch" and run his hand over it, I was mortified, but compared to now I had tons of hair left. Sadly I held one of the cords at that young man`s funeral a few years back, he didn`t make it to 25, so I am pretty philosophical about life, age is what you make it and each day is a gift. I suppose most people cut their hair due to baldness and/or looking right for work, as well as maybe trying to fit in? If I could I would have long hair now, but for those who want to try a medication for baldness melancor tablets do work to an extent, my hair is like cress sprouting on top just now. Obviously the Jaggers, Blackmores, Elton Johns etc have gone to expensive hair clinics for their treatments, if only they had started ska bands they could have saved so much money :lol:

I've never had long hair and I'm not even sure if I could if I wanted to. When it's not been cut for a while it gets bigger rather than longer. It's changed colour over time though, used to be fairly ginger when I was a kid but it's turned browner as I've got older.

Over a year of lurking about on hpc and when I finally make my first post, its about my hairstyle. :rolleyes:

You should read what crap a lot of other people post! Still this is the "off topic" area! Most people here are very friendly. All the nasty people seem to have left! ;)

My current car does not even have a working stereo :P

At 49, I've already lost some friends - the unpleasant experience of deleting them from your phone contacts is nature's way of telling you that growing old is far better than the alternative.

You could always buy an automatic, and learn the ukelele, to entertain yourself and passengers on long drives, like everyone else here! ;) Who needs a car radio?

When you lose your hair, you can by a hat! When you lose friends, ain't an awful lot you can do about it!

Guest eight

You could always buy an automatic, and learn the ukelele, to entertain yourself and passengers on long drives, like everyone else here! ;) Who needs a car radio?

I think you overestimate the powers of "automatic".

Pony tail & long hair. Hell, I was an engineering student, OK? Which also, of course, meant that I didn't need to plan on picking up girls.

No photos exist (thank God).

And give us another clue on the "where is this?" quiz.

Pony tail & long hair. Hell, I was an engineering student, OK? Which also, of course, meant that I didn't need to plan on picking up girls.

I always lied, and told them I was doing English History! Actually I was doing Physics and Maths, but what lady wants an explanation of Hamilton's equations, and a Laser lecture, with no clothes on! And before we get the usual remarks, you have to guess which one of us had no clothes on! :blink:

I grew my hair long in my late teens

Unfortunately I soon found out that

1. It made me look like the favoured catamite of some oriental despot
  2. I was a martyr to split ends

In the end I simply bought some decent Wahl clippers and gave myself a number 3 cut which I have used come rain or shine ever since.