House Price Crash Forum

'the Under-25S Should Not Get The Dole': Cameron

A snippet from Cameron's conference speech yesterday

"Nothing should stand in your way".

Then on the radio a youngster with a recent degree saying how she'd been instructed by the JC to dumb down her CV or she would lose her benefit.

Isn't this indicative that there are too many graduates, i.e., there aren't enough jobs that require a degree educations. The education bubble is a con, mainly for the benefit of those that work in it and politicians who have a lower youth unemployment rate.

Perhaps this new move is about dealing with the million or so young unemployed - making them disappear.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this indicative that there are too many graduates, i.e., there aren't enough jobs that require a degree educations. The education bubble is a con, mainly for the benefit of those that work in it and politicians who have a lower youth unemployment rate.

Perhaps this new move is about dealing with the million or so young unemployed - making them disappear.

Yep.

Education bubble was the result of Labour pushing education to those who traditionally would have been employed in manufacturing or one of the other industries lost forever in the 80s.

Not a great policy, but slightly better than "f**k all under 25s... there's no hope for them and they're on their own".

UKIP is the reason the Conservatives are bringing out all these 'nasty party' policies. They have done the focus groups and worked out that attacking the young and the unemployed will bring back the over-50s who are deserting them for UKIP.

Not this over 50 it won't.........;)

Yes, apart from unequal access to education, family poverty, brutal tuition fees, inability to take unpaid internships, lack of 'contacts' and the fact that they'll have to take the first job offered, those kids without wealth will have just as much opportunity.

Oh, and if they do beat the odds through hard work and dedication they'll get to hand over a huge chunk of their post-tax in rent, or, if really lucky, a mortgage that'll take forever to pay off.

And tax and national insurance that will then be used against them should they lose that job.

And tax and national insurance that will then be used against them should they lose that job.

So, kid leaves school at 16, does the 'right thing', gets a job, pays income tax & NI for 8 years... and at 24, loses their job.

And gets zilch support from the state.

Well, the kid is unlikely to have been using NHS much, as health care is more for the elderly.

So what have they been paying tax & NI for?

In a perverse way, it'll help IRs to increase, esp. if we get below 7% unemployed...but I suppose they'll move the goal posts again anyway...

Edited by Dave Beans

I hope they have factored in the crime cost if they implement this. Inner city areas have huge drug related crime as it is, if it becomes the only game in town for many youngsters then it's likely there will 'be trouble'

At the moment it isn't worth shoplifting stuff for a tenner or stealing designer jeans off someones washing line, but it will be if there is nothing else.

No dole, no dope, no dope, no hope. Same stuff in the eighties with the yops, wops ,yts and whatever other stupid scheme sticks they battered the young with.

No one talking about jobs?

So, kid leaves school at 16, does the 'right thing', gets a job, pays income tax & NI for 8 years... and at 24, loses their job.

And gets zilch support from the state.

Well, the kid is unlikely to have been using NHS much, as health care is more for the elderly.

So what have they been paying tax & NI for?

Weren't they changing the law so you had to stay in education untill 18?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441434/Under-25s-dole-Cameron-says-school-leavers-earning-learning-sets-vision-land-opportunity.html

Are we going to see YTS type schemes meaning under 25 don't appear on the dole figures?

It would appear we could get rid of youth unemployment in one go.

All benefit payments need to be overhaul, to spotlight one group is wrong.

Fine, as long as over 60's don't get their full unfunded public sector pensions.

Don't try and pull other people down, you should be trying pull yourself up, these public sector pensions which were not demanded by these people when they took the jobs they were the norm same as were many final salary pensions,These have almost disappeared over the years helped by Labour,

All you are doing by making your statement is helping to pull down the working people down even further.

Yep.

Education bubble was the result of Labour pushing education to those who traditionally would have been employed in manufacturing or one of the other industries lost forever in the 80s.

Not a great policy, but slightly better than "f**k all under 25s... there's no hope for them and they're on their own".

I had this argument with some Labout MPs.Instead of dealing with the lack of jobs and the closing of industry that provided decent jobs for people they decided instead to create tax credits and shove more /all younger people into long term education as a solution.

The problem with that was in the longer term once this became unaffordable governments would cut back on those things.

The left never learn.Then again they don't really care anymore,only about short term re-election.

Don't try and pull other people down, you should be trying pull yourself up, these public sector pensions which were not demanded by these people when they took the jobs they were the norm same as were many final salary pensions,These have almost disappeared over the years helped by Labour,

All you are doing by making your statement is helping to pull down the working people down even further.

I agree someone who has worked all their life is a different case to someone who is choosing to take it easy on benefits and sell a bit of weed on the side or something, but the over sixties must get it into their head that their house is not going to provide a massive pay out, and economic reality dictates that a lot of the stuff they believed about pensions was misguided. They will have to make do with less because the under twenty fives probably won`t be buying their houses off them :lol:

I agree someone who has worked all their life is a different case to someone who is choosing to take it easy on benefits and sell a bit of weed on the side or something, but the over sixties must get it into their head that their house is not going to provide a massive pay out, and economic reality dictates that a lot of the stuff they believed about pensions was misguided. They will have to make do with less because the under twenty fives probably won`t be buying their houses off them :lol:

That right there is when the party will end.

Everyone I know who's bought a house in the past 10 years is mortgaged to the eyeballs on a small place, bought later in life, that they won't pay off until 60ish.

An entire generation of older folk in larger houses simply don't have a market to sell to once the point is reached where they stop selling to each other.

It'll get messy.

Edited by byron78

That right there is when the party will end.

Everyone I know who's bought a house in the past 10 years is mortgaged to the eyeballs on a small place, bought later in life, that they won't pay off until 60ish.

An entire generation of older folk in larger houses simply don't have a market to sell to once the point is reached where they stop selling to each other.

It'll get messy.

There will be a market to sell to, I might be part of it, but they won`t get the price they hoped for.

There will be a market to sell to, I might be part of it, but they won`t get the price they hoped for.

Exactly. There are milions of working people who didn't chain themselves to the bottom rung of the ladder in the 2000s/2010s. The big increase in private rentals over the last 15 years is testament to that.

I agree there will always be a market but at what level, The most famous saying of all is prices always go up, but prices always went up because earnings went up with inflation and so did affordability. Looking at earnings today for the masses they are barely moving so i cannot see were the affordability for large increases in prices are going to come from especially with prices already stretching the lending ratios to the extreme already.

I agree there will always be a market but at what level, The most famous saying of all is prices always go up, but prices always went up because earnings went up with inflation and so did affordability. Looking at earnings today for the masses they are barely moving so i cannot see were the affordability for large increases in prices are going to come from especially with prices already stretching the lending ratios to the extreme already.

Yes, as I said it will be at a much lower price level than today.

So now we have job centre staff demanding that people dumb down their CV's? :lol:

This must be that world of opportunity that Cameron is creating.

What happened to the knowledge economy?

Nobody knows! ;)

No prizes for guessing what pension you will be drawing then.:P

It is the politics of envy though and you do make an important point. The Government would love public feeling towards public sector pensions to be anti for obvious reasons.

No prizes for guessing what pension you will be drawing then.:P

It is the politics of envy though and you do make an important point. The Government would love public feeling towards public sector pensions to be anti for obvious reasons.

WRONG

Sorry but you have not won a price mate.

As i said before you are just helping the Governments erode the value of working people.

They don't even have to try with people doing the work for them.