House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Reports Sharp Drop In Profits As It Fights The Rise Of Aldi/lidl

I was very unimpressed with the Aldi near us - despite being cheap, the fruit and veg were half rotten and the shop was a mess - opened / broken packets of stuff all over the place, in the wrong place etc.

Lidl is far better - the stores are kept neat and the fruit and veg are good.

Must be a local management issue. Where I live the reverse is true. The Aldi being impeccable and the Lidl being more like a cash n carry and 'messy'. We have done our last 2 months family shopping at this new Aldi and are saving about 25% on the grocery bill.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sainsbury basics and best buys you have to go in early. Once the shelves are empty they stay empty or they just put more expensive alternatives on. This is one of their little tricks.

I find Sainsburys very expensive for tinned tuna. The only time in the past year when they had a deal on which beat other supermarkets was when they had, briefly, tins of John West drained tuna for £1 a tin. Now they are £2. They often have red salmon in the £4 to £5 range whilst you can get it as low as £1.87 in other supermarkets.

Sainsbury basics and best buys you have to go in early. Once the shelves are empty they stay empty or they just put more expensive alternatives on. This is one of their little tricks.

You wouldn't mind so much if they removed the label and filled the space with something else.....nothing more annoying than advertising something for sale that is not for sale. ;)

When I first went to university in the 90S I shopped at Aldi. Let's be honest, they were shit back then. As mainstream supermarket competition arrived, I began to shop elsewhere.

It is telling that many years later, I am shopping more and more at Aldi. Their competitive 'offer' has increased leaps and bounds, the competition has indulged in a race to the bottom and despite my reasonable earnings I am increasingly required to make efficiencies and Aldi delivers.

What is happening to us?

Anecdote alert, was in a Tesco yesterday as just passing. Looked at nappies, the budget tier or Pampers nappies was on a BOGOF. They were STILL over 12p a unit compared to Aldi own brand at 10p a unit. Which pretty offer the same level of performance compared to my experience of supermarket own brands.

Ditto washing powder Daz old school washing powder, couple of kilo box, 22 washes, half price at £2.50. Aldi offering a concentrated liquid gel at the same price per wash.

Neighbours of mine today bought 2 Huld tablets from Tesco. My local store had sold about 100 in 24 hours and had only 3 left today. Big crowds around the Huld stand.

They are selling the Huld for £119 with a fiver off any £20 case.

To be frank, IMPO the Nexus 7 2 is still slightly slicker with a slightly better screen BUT it is very hard to justify the £60 to £80 premium of the Nexus over the Huld. I think Google will be forced to drop the Nexus price.

I think Tesco have a winner with the hud.

Tesco shares?

You wouldn't mind so much if they removed the label and filled the space with something else.....nothing more annoying than advertising something for sale that is not for sale. ;)

What my local Tesco does is more annoying -

They leave the sale label up and fill the space with an almost identical product with the same brand name, that is not on sale.

If you are very, very lucky, you might just find one badly damaged pack of the item that is on sale about three shelves below the label, hidden amongst other products.

Another ruse (often in the toilet paper section) is to have a very obvious promotion on certain packs (there will be loads of these out).

Shelf price labels on any cheaper items will be mysteriously missing.

Invariably, if I pick a pack from an unlabelled shelf and query the price, it will be a better deal than those from labelled shelves. When I've pointed out the missing labels, the reply is "Oh, I have no idea why there is no label - it must have fallen off the shelf." Happens with strange regularity.

They keep putting tins of tuna steak or tuna chunks in brine in the place where tuna chunks ot tuna steak in spring water should be.

I got home a few weeks ago with 5 cans of tuna in brine.

Feck, they are evil :blink:

What do you think of tuna in sunflower oil?

I think it makes nicer tuna mayo.

Edited by oldsport

What do you think of tuna in sunflower oil?

I think it makes nicer tuna mayo.

I avoid sunflower oil for health reasons - asthma - so have no views on it.

Tuna in brine has a nice but salty taste to it - gosh, fish from the sea that tastes salty. Many cooks will say that tuna in brine is the best tasting although it can smell like cat food.

People are under the misconception that they actually add salt water to tuna when in fact the tuna is washed and processed using the water from the fish itself. I have seen numerous posts on health forums where even doctors have warned people against eating tuna in brine due to a belief of higher salt as if someone is adding loads of salt to the tuna. This is not so.

If you look at the ingredients of tinned tuna - be it in water or in brine - the salt content is the same.

I prefer tuna in spring water because it simply does not have that smell.

Add a squeeze of lemon when making your tuna mayo.

I avoid sunflower oil for health reasons - asthma - so have no views on it.

Tuna in brine has a nice but salty taste to it - gosh, fish from the sea that tastes salty. Many cooks will say that tuna in brine is the best tasting although it can smell like cat food.

People are under the misconception that they actually add salt water to tuna when in fact the tuna is washed and processed using the water from the fish itself. I have seen numerous posts on health forums where even doctors have warned people against eating tuna in brine due to a belief of higher salt as if someone is adding loads of salt to the tuna. This is not so.

If you look at the ingredients of tinned tuna - be it in water or in brine - the salt content is the same.

I prefer tuna in spring water because it simply does not have that smell.

Add a squeeze of lemon when making your tuna mayo.

I think I like the oily ones because I seem to think tuna chunks in any sort of water seem a bit wet. But, from what you say, that's just natural anyway!

I think I like the oily ones because I seem to think tuna chunks in any sort of water seem a bit wet. But, from what you say, that's just natural anyway!

Pity they don't sell much tuna in olive oil in the UK. They do tinned sardines, mackerel, etc, in olive oil but you don't see many tinned tuna in olive oil options in UK shops. I suppose they fear turning people off as olive oil is still an accquired taste for Brits.

Odd really, as tinned tuna in olive oil is a huge seller in the rest of Europe.

You can buy John West drained tinned tuna now - no liquid - which might be a good option to add your own olive oil to it. It is pricey though and I only buy it when it is a quid a tin. Some places today it was £2.

Pity they don't sell much tuna in olive oil in the UK. They do tinned sardines, mackerel, etc, in olive oil but you don't see many tinned tuna in olive oil options in UK shops. I suppose they fear turning people off as olive oil is still an accquired taste for Brits.

Odd really, as tinned tuna in olive oil is a huge seller in the rest of Europe.

You can buy John West drained tinned tuna now - no liquid - which might be a good option to add your own olive oil to it. It is pricey though and I only buy it when it is a quid a tin. Some places today it was £2.

Lidl Nixe Tuna Steaks in Olive Oil. Good apparently...... and at the price you are looking for.

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/search.php?table=tinned&orderby=Score

SShhhhhh! It is all the same, but if you go around saying that you'll get A Visit from the Wine Police. You don't want A Visit.

I can't usually tell the difference between, say two Australian Shiraz's - so I'll buy whatever is on "half price" offer at £4.99 - which is the price it should be (before being marked up because of the spivvy tendencies of the majority in this country.)

But if someone can't tell the difference between say Australian Shiraz and Chilean Merlot or Spanish Tempranillo then they must be severely lacking in taste buds.

Lidl Nixe Tuna Steaks in Olive Oil. Good apparently...... and at the price you are looking for.

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/search.php?table=tinned&orderby=Score

Ruddy heck - went to link and saw this at Aldi. Almost as cheap as tuna. I was only in there today and have never stopped to look for red tinned salmon in Aldi.

I paid £1.30 per tin of tuna today. I would have preferred to have got the red salmon for that.

ALDI Tinned Ocean Rise Wild Pacific Red Salmon, 213g. £1.34

You can't fault the colour or the taste of the salmon, but take note it does contain small fish bones.

Competing Brand: John West

Delia's recipe: Salmon Fishcakes

Edited by The Masked Tulip