House Price Crash Forum

Unemployed To Bid For Work

HOLA441

Caught this yesterday on Twitter but was too busy to post. Quite frankly I am speechless.

Lord Freud also said the Department for Work and Pensions is working up an alternative to restrictive ‘zero hours contracts’, where workers are contracted to an employer but not guaranteed any hours.

He said: ‘One of the things we are testing is something called “slivers of time”. It is a marketplace for short hours. You would get yourself onto Tesco basic training, so you would be able to work for Tesco. Then Tesco would say “right, we want three hours on Wednesday afternoon – what am I bid?”. That group would say “I’ll do it for £10 an hour, £15 an hour, £30 an hour, whatever, so there would be a marketplace” and we are testing that out.’

Also he expects Universal Credit to be rolled out 2017

Although he declined to give any further information on the ‘randomised tests’ and what they would cover, the minister reiterated his confidence universal credit would be fully operational by the stated deadline of 2017.

And to make matters worse he gives a wink to private landlords that the benefit cap will be increased if house prices start to push up rents.

The minister in charge of UK welfare reform has reiterated a pledge that a cap on housing benefit payments to the rate of inflation will be monitored and altered if it fails to keep pace with rents.

Speaking on Sunday evening at the Conservative Party conference at a fringe session on welfare, organised by think tank NatCen, welfare minister Lord David Freud also said a series of ‘randomised trials’ – including on housing – were being introduced to measure the impact of welfare changes into the single universal credit.

In response to a question on what concerns he had on rising house prices feeding through to increase rents and hence squeezing people in receipt of housing benefit, Lord Freud said: ‘Clearly we will keep under review the workings of the consumer price index cap. We will be monitoring how that CPI cap works as clearly we can’t put it on forever. And we will make the appropriate adjustments on the basis of what we find.’

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/regulation/housing-benefit-cap-will-be-kept-under-review-says-freud/6528809.article?PageNo=2&SortOrder=dateadded&PageSize=10#comments

Only a matter of time before the Tories are clopping around in high boots, their corporate fascism is on show for all to see.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It would be quicker to flag up the few Tories still in touch with reality frankly.

The Lib Dems and the coalition is (rightly) much derided, but by Dawkins it'd be so much worse if the Tories had carte blanche to do all the mental things they secretly still want to do but can't until they buy the next election with our money.

HOLA4414

Someone needs to tell Lord Freud that HMRC doesn't have any teams working on the real time data interface so UC cant ever come in.Ever.

For real or just jesting ? genuine question btw (the hmrc bit)

I have always thought it would lead to internal battles as parts of the civil service could end up looking more than a little redundant if UC was running successfully

HOLA4415

It would be quicker to flag up the few Tories still in touch with reality frankly.

The Lib Dems and the coalition is (rightly) much derided, but by Dawkins it'd be so much worse if the Tories had carte blanche to do all the mental things they secretly still want to do but can't until they buy the next election with our money.

It's an interesting political problem.

All the mainstream parties have problems with declining membership. This gives two problems - the membership tends to be older, especially for the conservatives - and the remaining members tend to be the most howling mad fanatics committed. And there is a feedback, since that kind of membership tends to drive out the rational ones.

And the smaller the membership, the easier the capture by fringe elements. If you look at America for how this goes, you end up with Tea Party nutcases driving policy.

HOLA4416

All the mainstream parties have problems with declining membership. This gives two problems - the membership tends to be older, especially for the conservatives - and the remaining members tend to be the most howling mad fanatics committed. And there is a feedback, since that kind of membership tends to drive out the rational ones.

And the smaller the membership, the easier the capture by fringe elements. If you look at America for how this goes, you end up with Tea Party nutcases driving policy.

Post of the day for me.

HOLA4417

I was having exactly the same conversation with my father this morning. Political parties are, I think, the problem with democracy. They should be outlawed.

HOLA4418

Funny how when it comes to wages the free market is a Tory sacred cow- but when it comes to house prices it's state subsidies all the way to keep those prices up-( no nasty free market will be allowed to screw with their BTL portfolio.)

I spot a problem- what if the free market arrives at wages that are not high enough to support the inflated prices of the houses?

Does Cameron's head explode?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I was having exactly the same conversation with my father this morning. Political parties are, I think, the problem with democracy. They should be outlawed.

Funnily enough that was one of the underlying principles for the us constitution and the electoral college. Didn't quite work out in the end..

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Funnily enough that was one of the underlying principles for the us constitution and the electoral college. Didn't quite work out in the end..

Well quite apart from undemocratic horrors like the party whips, you end up with "franchise" politics where only one of the two name parties can be elected - even if, as was the case with NuLabour, there is no connection with the founding rationale of that party. Plus the media handling - why should it be a matter for the national news what was or wasn't said at a party conference? Anybody who cares that much could join the party and attend, or wait for the newsletter. I'm a member of a few esoteric interest societies and the AGM's of none of them are reported in the wider media.

HOLA4423

Funny how when it comes to wages the free market is a Tory sacred cow- but when it comes to house prices it's state subsidies all the way to keep those prices up-( no nasty free market will be allowed to screw with their BTL portfolio.)

I spot a problem- what if the free market arrives at wages that are not high enough to support the inflated prices of the houses?

Hopefully.

HOLA4424

Help 2 Rent. They lend you the money to pay the rent.

HOLA4425