House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hectors House

Illegal Gangmasters Exploiting Migrant Workers

Some workers are being paid £20 for three days work after deductions. The gang master who is shown in this programme appears to be living in a big house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03bz5k7/Inside_Out_East_30_09_2013/

It's our demand for cheap vegetables that brings them here.

No it isn't. It is deliberately lax laws / implementation of laws and and outright encouragement of such activity by the politicians.

These farms should be shut down, they are unfir for purpose if they cannot compete. They are relying on slave labour they could easily be run in more efficient mechanised ways but far too many farmers find it far too easy to not invest and use such labour instead. This country has beenturned into a criminal/ganster haven by very culpable politicians.

It's our demand for cheap vegetables that brings them here.

No it isn't. It is deliberately lax laws / implementation of laws and and outright encouragement of such activity by the politicians.

These farms should be shut down, they are unfir for purpose if they cannot compete. They are relying on slave labour they could easily be run in more efficient mechanised ways but far too many farmers find it far too easy to not invest and use such labour instead. This country has beenturned into a criminal/ganster haven by very culpable politicians.

It's a consequence of our preference to pay a high price for a house so that we can't pay a fair price for food without paying for it through our taxes, with the result that UK agricultural manual wages are too low for UK citizens or food is imported from countries where wages are even lower but the cost of housing is more favourable.

Edited by LiveinHope

I've just volunteered at a local community farm to do a few hours a week on a Tuesday. I'm not on the dole but can easily spare a few hours from my 'hectic schedule.'

Also I'm getting more and more into the concept of growing a lot of my food and this will be good training.

I'm well aware of the Tory workhouse scheme, but think that volunteering can be a good thing, gets you out the house and you might learn a thing or too.

However the clue is the term 'volunteering.' Coercion is not the answer, and a slave work force is no good to any decent employer.

Farmers who are themselves rentiers who rely on other rentiers to sponge off their workforce are just scum IMO.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Guest eight

Isn't all agency work run by gangmasters?

I take it these immigrants are legally self-employed, so what's the difference in principle?

Interesting. I didn't watch the recent BBC "Harvest" series but was told by my parents that it featured happy East Europeans picking veg for £100/day. I said that at £100/day they would have no shortage of English applicants. The reply was that they had apparently had two try it, but neither of therm could hack it. For some strange reason my folks lapped this up as being indicative of something or other. I just thought it was probably ********, but bit my tongue.

Interesting. I didn't watch the recent BBC "Harvest" series but was told by my parents that it featured happy East Europeans picking veg for £100/day. I said that at £100/day they would have no shortage of English applicants. The reply was that they had apparently had two try it, but neither of therm could hack it. For some strange reason my folks lapped this up as being indicative of something or other. I just thought it was probably ********, but bit my tongue.

They didn't tell you £80 was rent a day for the congregated shed shelter for use whilst you were still useful. ;)

Some workers are being paid £20 for three days work after deductions. The gang master who is shown in this programme appears to be living in a big house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03bz5k7/Inside_Out_East_30_09_2013/

At least ten years ago someone in our road, an Iraqi, was having a big extension. The workers were all SE Asian, could have been Filipinos. More than once I saw them being brought to work in a big white van - no name or logo - by a big hefty bloke who sounded Irish. Every time I walked past the workers they looked frightened, even if I just said good morning. I was convinced they were illegals being gang-mastered by white van man, but because they always looked so frightened I hadn't the heart to do anything. :-(

Plenty of UK workers would do it and plenty couldn't hack it until accustomed - they quit before they get 'broken in' - in many respects they don't give themselves a fair chance. We are quite 'soft' compared to many countries where the rural way of life is still closer, generationally.

I have done it and it would be my first choice of work if I found I couldn't earn money doing what I do now.

I wouldn't work for a gangmaster though, but that would be my fortune for being a Brit. I have seen workers for gangmasters and its not nice how we treat visitors, especially H&S around farm machinery such as potato lifters etc; that's going back 10 years though and so it could have changed.

Edited by LiveinHope