House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Dyeing Clothes

Has anyone had any success with this? I remember we (mainly my sisters) did it a lot as kids/teenagers but having tried it once or twice, the trouble I find with is that the colours are somehow lacking in richness/complexity and that all the fancy bits of trim all get dyed the same colour, and even when it's on the inside, like the waist band of trousers, it still makes it look a bit naff. Would have to remember not to take them off in public etc.

I have two or three pairs of light grey trousers, and I find the colour a bit harsh. I thought mayby a touch of beige would help. And an orange cotton rain jacket thing, that I thought if i tried to dye it light green, might end up a nice olive colour (but in all probability would just end up horrible brownish)

Has anyone had any success with this? I remember we (mainly my sisters) did it a lot as kids/teenagers but having tried it once or twice, the trouble I find with is that the colours are somehow lacking in richness/complexity and that all the fancy bits of trim all get dyed the same colour, and even when it's on the inside, like the waist band of trousers, it still makes it look a bit naff. Would have to remember not to take them off in public etc.

I have two or three pairs of light grey trousers, and I find the colour a bit harsh. I thought mayby a touch of beige would help. And an orange cotton rain jacket thing, that I thought if i tried to dye it light green, might end up a nice olive colour (but in all probability would just end up horrible brownish)

All I know is that there is hot water dye or cold water dye......did a bit of tie dying years ago.....the results were satisfactory.

I think the existing colour of the garment you want to dye (pure cotton is best) has to be consistent and to dye effectively you will be looking to dye it a darker shade/colour....salt has some bearing on how good the result will be. ;)

Beige on grey will probably work but watch the orange thing! These days most stitching is made of dye-proof polyester. You are likely to end up with a dull brown jacket with bright orange stitching. And no, it won't look good as every little stitching flaw will show up. Jeans don't do as badly - the stitching is made to be seen and usually in thick thread with few flaws.

The Dylon washing machine dye is quite handy - lump what you want to dye in the machine with a cup of table salt (makes the colour stick better) and the dye. Run hot cycle and all done. Easy peasy. Gone are the days of standing over a hot cooker stirring a huge pot of clothes with a wooden spoon.

Just don't put too many things in (will come out very light or wash out quickly), use machine only for darks that won't stain for the next 2 or 3 washes and wash newly dyed item with things that won't pick up colour runs.

Good luck!

Edit to add (oh, why do I always feel the compulsion to edit :huh: ??!!!) Natural fibres - cotton, linen, viscose, silk, wool etc are most likely to dye well. Polyester acrylic and nylon don't pick up dye easily and usually don't change much.

I used to dye denim now and then. It can breathe new life into old clothes. If you're lucky the stitching will look good as it resists the dye. Or not.

Get that dye out of the washing machine afterwards though....

Go on Ebay, buy some quality designer gear for cheaper than the dye and save yourself the agro.

The other point about remembering not to take your clothes off in public, is never mind getting done for indecent exposure, you'll probably find you're the same colour as your clothes.

Go on Ebay, buy some quality designer gear for cheaper than the dye and save yourself the agro.

The other point about remembering not to take your clothes off in public, is never mind getting done for indecent exposure, you'll probably find you're the same colour as your clothes.

+1

If you feel the need to dye your clothes, you have bought the wrong colour! :o

I know where to find people who know what the're doing, I was hoping to hear some comedy gold from incompetents practical tips or cautionary tales from ordinary users who had tried it themselves.

Actually, it was quite interesting. Apparently you can use tea. might be just the thing, and would reduce future laundry requirements. I might dye my "evening" trousers with red wine.