House Price Crash Forum

The Work Programme And No Dss Notices

credo

HOLA441

Given the government are about to increase even further the number of people working for free for corporations through the work programme, I was just wondering how these people are able to find rented accommodation, given the vast majority of private sector landlord don't accept housing benefit for new tenants?

It's all a bit ludicrous as some people are required to go on six month work placements and effectively working full time.

HOLA442

Given the government are about to increase even further the number of people working for free for corporations through the work programme, I was just wondering how these people are able to find rented accommodation, given the vast majority of private sector landlord don't accept housing benefit for new tenants?

It's all a bit ludicrous as some people are required to go on six month work placements and effectively working full time.

Maybe this situation may lead to a few changes, it would be good to see the DSS discrimination challenged through the courts in this way as a change is long overdue.

HOLA443
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA444
How much time do these houses stay unoccupied whilst waiting for a tenant? (outside of London).

That's a good question, which may be hard to answer could be found out in your locality subject to FoI request maybe.

In regards to DSS discrimination, you can almost look at 'No DSS' notices a little like he 'No Blacks, Irish, Gays' etc that were around in the 20th Century. They're definitely a throw back to that era and although the situation is a little complicated in that payment of housing benefit can cause problems if the tenants are untrustworthy or there's some problem with paying it, the actual 'No DSS' notice is a blanket thing, which affects a whole swath of people, including the sick, single mothers and the unemployed, making the vast majority of housing outside of their reach purely on the basis that they have to claim housing benefit.

It also means that the accommodation which is available, generally speaking is substandard.

HOLA445

They are not required, work placement is not compulsory. And you can't morally force landlords to accept people on the dole.

HOLA446

They are not required, work placement is not compulsory. And you can't morally force landlords to accept people on the dole.

You are required to start a placement after 6 months out of work. This also applies to some disabled people and those on ESA.

It is compulsary in the sense that if you refuse or have problems with the placement thrn you are sanctioned. You can be sanctioned for up to three years by the way, during ehcih you will have limited access to benefits . The Citizen's Advice Beaureu recently published a report o this which includes some truely shocking examples of what'#s takennplace.

The original point I made is that give there are hundreds of thousands of people claiming housing benefit and in work but without a wage, will this bring thr DSS discrimination issue to the fore.

As for your comment about how landlords shouldn't be forced to accept people on the dole. I thought I made myself very clear. The 'people on the dole' as you put it are not some homogenous group, they jnclude a number of sick and disabled people who are struggling to find work, infact some are chronically sick and jmable to work at all.

Why should thry be discrkminated in the basis that they claim housjng benefit? The only reason they clakm it is because they are sick and the landlords know this all too well.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Rubbish. It's a lie. You are confusing placement with MWA. Do your homework before spreading more lies.

A slight oversight on my part but what d you mean by 'more lies'? You need to slow down and not accuse people of trying to mislead others at the first sign of trouble.

HOLA449

I only have a mobile phone at the moment so I apologise if my posts can at times appear rushed and a bit unevidenced.

I would like to say one last thing about landlords. I know there are good landlords out there because I have had one in the past and I don't necessarily hold these landlords to blame for thr stateof the private rented sector, thr problems have their roots govt policy of the late 80s and the Housing Act 1988 or is it 1992 I forget sorry.

The big problem I have though are with landlord associations who lobby thr government purely in their own interests, pushing to keep thr status quo and in some cases dilute the rights of tenants even further often in pursuit of greater profit. Where is the social responsibility here? It seems there's still a debate in this country to be had to how far this social responsibility falls on the government and how much on landlords because the tendency for these landlord associations to resist even mild local regulation which tries to address some of the problems indicates that something much more radical may be needed.

HOLA4410

I think the problem goes further than that:

Many BTL mortgage conditions will not allow DSS.

With council housing being sold off and no more being built eventually you will end up with thousands of homeless. The homeless figures have already doubled since the Conservatives got in and I suspect it will double again over the next couple of years before a crisis is called.

Of course I am sure Cameron will make sleeping on the streets illegal before admitting a problem.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think the problem goes further than that:

Many BTL mortgage conditions will not allow DSS.

With council housing being sold off and no more being built eventually you will end up with thousands of homeless. The homeless figures have already doubled since the Conservatives got in and I suspect it will double again over the next couple of years before a crisis is called.

Of course I am sure Cameron will make sleeping on the streets illegal before admitting a problem.

Yes I think there are problems with some home insurance policies too, where DSS is not allowed but unsure on this. If so that is a very good avenue to take it to a European level as there are already some notable European court rulings on discrimination by insruance companies, Sheilas on Wheels etc.

As for right to buy, it's definitsly been a problem historically but mainly because councils were banned frok replacing the stock which was utter madness. I don't think it was necessarily a bad policy (I'm not a fan of Labour but it was originally proposed by them in 59), the important thing is that properties are replaced.

As for HMOs as they tend to be the private rented accom lived jn by the poorest people, what buy to let did is give an jncentive for for investors to turn ALOT of family homes into shared housing. This has a knock on effect on the quality of living in areas, what we have seen are lots of homes suitible for familes, who may have kept them looking nice, tu4n jnto jnkempt dives. This is especially true in student areas where's there's been a bit of a bakclash toward them.

HOLA4413

Well, if it's not true, it's lie, innit?

No it is an oversight - very different from trying to mislead people, i.e.- lie. A good example would be how MPs i the house of commons have to be very careful as to whether they imply someone is trying to midlead the house. They must give people the benefit of the doubt, prudence is key.