House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

'how Much Is A Value Loaf? I Don't Know... I've Got A Breadmaker'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439907/David-Cameron-I-dont-buy-value-sliced-loaf--Ive-got-breadmaker.html

'How much is a value loaf? I don't know... I've got a breadmaker': Cameron struggles in cost of living quiz but plugs posh flour

Prime Minister struggles to name price of a budget supermarket loaf

Guesses at more than £1 but explains he doesn't buy value bread

Reveals he uses a Panasonic breadmaker and 'Cotswold crunch' flour

Labour says Mr Cameron is 'almost a parody of himself'

Boris Johnson admits he does not know how much a pint of milk costs

the Prime Minister went on: ‘I don’t buy… I am trying to get my children to eat that sort of granary. They like my homemade loaf.’

He rejected suggestions that making bread at home takes too long.

‘You think ahead. A little plug for the flour made in my constituency: the Cotswold Crunch.

'You get some of that - beautifully milled in the Cotswolds - you pop that in your bread maker.

'You can set the timer overnight so when you wake up there’s this wonderful smell wafting through your kitchen.

‘It takes 30 seconds to put your ingredients in.’

Cotswold Crunch Dark costs £4.40 for 1.5kg bag and is described by millers FWP Mathews Ltd as being the 'connoisseurs blend of strong white flour, malt flour, malted wheat flakes and rye flour for bread and rolls'.

Great that he's supporting the local businesses however I'm guessing £4.40 for a bag of flour is a little over the budget of most low earners struggling along. Perhaps they should have asked him how much a bag of value flour is?

Although he's right about thinking ahead pity he doesn't when it comes to policies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439907/David-Cameron-I-dont-buy-value-sliced-loaf--Ive-got-breadmaker.html

Great that he's supporting the local businesses however I'm guessing £4.40 for a bag of flour is a little over the budget of most low earners struggling along. Perhaps they should have asked him how much a bag of value flour is?

Although he's right about thinking ahead pity he doesn't when it comes to policies.

Got to be wrong

Just looked on Amazon - I can't find a Panasonic model called Samantha.

[Although he's right about thinking ahead pity he doesn't when it comes to policies.

Obviously has spent more time thinking about planning breadmaking than his other job.

http://www.dailymail...breadmaker.html

it doesnt take 30 seconds to set up a breadmaker....you have to measure the ingredients and put them in, dry stuff first in the Panasonic, and they all have to be weighed pretty precisely.

so a large loaf in the panasonic wouldbe about £1.45 for the flower alone, and Butter has gone up 25% since he took over, so guess about £1.80 plus leccy to make 500g loaf. Tasty but doesnt keep, so he either throws it away every day or stuffs his kids with it.

Surely there are lots of different prices for all of the brands of bread. I dont see why he should be expected to know the price of all of them. Plus facts about milk and other variables. It is a cheap shot.

Surely there are lots of different prices for all of the brands of bread. I dont see why he should be expected to know the price of all of them. Plus facts about milk and other variables. It is a cheap shot.

No fan of the guy, but these tactics have always been an easy way of getting a story about out of touch politicians. It's far more obvious when they think housing isn't in a bubble or take the EU to court with tax payers money to help out their banker friends.

Depending on the supermarket, you can pay anything from around 50p (depending on offers) to £2.50 for a loaf of bread. I haven't bought white sliced in years so I have absolutely no idea what it costs.

Sure, you don't expect someone on the poverty line to afford £4.50 for a bag of flour, but I reckon most people who were keen giving it a try could afford it.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

I don't know the price of bread either.

I know at the time I bought my Panasonic breadmaker though it was cheaper to make my own (including electric) than it was to buy.

And healthier too.

And more convenient.

I know at the time I bought my Panasonic breadmaker though it was cheaper to make my own (including electric) than it was to buy.

And healthier too.

And more convenient.

Is it really? I tried with mine but I never had much success. Could you give more details?

And healthier too.

And more convenient.

Given that Panasonic has laid off 46,000 employees in the last two years and is in the process of closing most of it's loss-making consumer divisions you might want to hang on to that.

Is it really? I tried with mine but I never had much success. Could you give more details?

Managed to pick this up for £50 a few years back when Tesco/Amazon had a little price competition on it

http://preview.*******.com/plxg7e5

I pick up 1.5kg of Local Bread Flour for 99p per 1.5kg.

Butter £1.30 ish for 250g.

Water, Salt, Sugar, marginal cost

Yeast for a tub 64p. Many many loaves worth in here.

I'll break it down to ingredients next.

400g of flour = 26p.

Water Free

1 teaspoons of sugar = 0.6p

1 teaspoons of salt = 0.3p

Yeast = 1p

15g of butter = 7.8p

Electric if done over night a few p.

Day time few p extra.

It's handy for me as I don't always want bread every day.

So it's easier for me to store the ingredients.

And if I want some bread for the morning I just spend 5 minutes preparing it the night before and time it so it finishes when I wake up.

Yes I know it's not a 'massive saving' but you can personalise the bread a bit more with time/extra ingredients.

Plus I know I've got proper ingredients in me instead of E148 etc

Edited by Gerinako

Lots of good bread recipes on the net.......home made bread that you knead yourself no machine required is easy and far cheaper to make than the plastic airy fairy stuff you can buy...makes four large loaves to fill an oven, you will be quids in including energy costs, eat one and freeze the rest, you will never buy shop bought bread again (unless you have to). ;)

We've had a panasonic breadmaker for years. And he is right (and I don't agree with the man on most things) on the point that it only takes 30 seconds to set up. A minute tops. Scoop of yeast, scoop of salt, scoop of sugar, weigh the flour, the water cup has measurements on the side, a glug of oil, press three buttons on the machine and away it goes.

You get approx 3 loaves from each 1.5kg bag of flour (80p a bag in Tesco, sometimes on 3 for 2 so you can stock up and get 4.5kg for £1.60 which makes each loaf about 25p even if you include the cost of the sugar/yeast/oil which are pennies per loaf.

Yes you have the electricity cost, and the machine cost (ours was a wedding present) but it's worth it for the fact I can have fresh bread in the morning, make really nice pizza dough in a few minutes, and I know what ingredients are going in there. Better than buying manky value loaves and freezing them, that's for sure.

make really nice pizza dough in a few minutes

Will it really make proper pizza dough (as in proper, doesn't go soggy in the middle and crisps up properly on the outside)? Or do you still have to part cook and then hand pummel it?

Will it really make proper pizza dough (as in proper, doesn't go soggy in the middle and crisps up properly on the outside)? Or do you still have to part cook and then hand pummel it?

The best Pizza dough has some semolina in it.

400g strong white flour.

100g fine semolina.

7g dried yeast.

1 level desert spoon sugar.

2 tablespoons olive oil.

~325ml lukewarm water.

knead, cover and leave about 1 hour, then make into pizza and top 250 degrees 10 to 15 mins. ;)

Edit: forgot the salt ... very level desert spoon. :)

Edited by winkie

Reckon the best bit about this story is be claimed for the breadmaker on his expenses.....:ph34r:

I've always thought that the problem there is that you need the heat to come mainly from below so that the bread cooks before the toppings incinerate - hence a pizza oven cooks the pizzas on hot bricks - and I think they're also a lot hotter than a domestic oven.

I've always thought that the problem there is that you need the heat to come mainly from below so that the bread cooks before the toppings incinerate - hence a pizza oven cooks the pizzas on hot bricks - and I think they're also a lot hotter than a domestic oven.

You can quite easily make a pizza in a conventional hot oven......keep the base on the thin side, do not over laden with topping making the base soggy ...and see that the baking tray is metal and is greased with olive oil. ;)

bread in the supermarket tastes awful these days.

it use to be quality, but i suspect corners have been cut in the ingredients to keep prices down.

kingsmill and hovis use to be super soft, now its like eating cardboard.

A cheap shot, but i'll take anything they can throw at him right now.

Unfortunately, the media in this country hardly ever land a meaningful punch.

Something to do with them all being slaves to HPI i guess.

Are you out of touch?

1. What is the price of a value loaf

2. What is the price of a pint of milk

3. Who is top of the charts?

etc. etc.

I've no idea cos that's me folks.... but I bet Ed is furiously learning from a crib sheet already.

Wouldn't you find it unusual for the Prime Minister to be buying sh*t food? I'm glad he's more discerning.

I agree that general questions about how "in touch" a politician is are a cheap shot- e.g. about popular music.

But when the main issue of the day is the cost of living - and benefits are being cut - and the government claim the big rise in food banks is nothing to do with people not being able to afford food - then I believe questions about the cost of food are OK.

Managed to pick this up for £50 a few years back when Tesco/Amazon had a little price competition on it

http://preview.*******.com/plxg7e5

I pick up 1.5kg of Local Bread Flour for 99p per 1.5kg.

Butter £1.30 ish for 250g.

Water, Salt, Sugar, marginal cost

Yeast for a tub 64p. Many many loaves worth in here.

I'll break it down to ingredients next.

400g of flour = 26p.

Water Free

1 teaspoons of sugar = 0.6p

1 teaspoons of salt = 0.3p

Yeast = 1p

15g of butter = 7.8p

Electric if done over night a few p.

Day time few p extra.

It's handy for me as I don't always want bread every day.

So it's easier for me to store the ingredients.

And if I want some bread for the morning I just spend 5 minutes preparing it the night before and time it so it finishes when I wake up.

Yes I know it's not a 'massive saving' but you can personalise the bread a bit more with time/extra ingredients.

Plus I know I've got proper ingredients in me instead of E148 etc

It might not be cheaper (much) than shop bought...but the flavour is just irresistable....a loaf doesnt last a day in our house, whereas a sliced one will last a few days....

..if this book is right the best idea is not to eat bread...at all....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheat-Belly-Weight-Health-ebook/dp/B00571F26Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380636699&sr=8-1&keywords=wheat+belly+book

..as for these obtuse questions addressed to politicians ...it was reported this was the type of bullying Fred the Shred was accused of using on his senior staff in meetings to belittle them ...nice guy..?.......... :rolleyes: