House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Living Inside The House Of Surrogates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24275373

Commercial surrogacy is estimated to be worth more than $1bn a year in India. While pregnant, some surrogate mothers live in dormitories - which critics call baby factories. They give childless couples the family they have longed for, but what is it like for the women who carry someone else's child for money?

"In India families are close. You are ready to do anything for your children," says 28-year-old Vasanti.

"To see my children get everything I ever dreamt of, that's why I have become a surrogate."

Vasanti is pregnant, but not with her own child - she is carrying a Japanese couple's baby. For this she will be paid $8,000 (£4,967), enough to build a new house and send her own two children, aged five and seven, to an English-speaking school - something she never thought was possible.

"I'm happy from the bottom of my heart," says Vasanti.

She was implanted with their embryo in the small city of Anand in Gujarat and will spend the next nine months living in a nearby dormitory with about 100 other surrogate mothers, all patients of Dr Nayna Patel.

A sum to change the life's of her children?

Interesting that once more property gets a mention.