House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ungeared

Certainly Not Charlie's Angels

Was expecting it to be the Range Rover driver at fault and, I'm guessing, whoever posted the video footage thinks it's favourable to the bikers but all I can see is some dicks on bikes deliberately swarming round in front of a car to prevent it passing then causing the collision by brake-checking it then mob mentality kicked in.

I doubt any of those bikers would have behaved in that manner if they'd been on their own.

I don't see it that way, sorry.

The bloke driving the range rover let his fear get the better of him, but his pride wouldn't let him pull over.

If he was afraid, then pull over. If it was a police car, wide load, smoke on the road, wet weather or anything that might cause an accident, then pull over, You have to drive to the conditions.

He didn't. He drove up the back of a bike, stopped then drove over three others, then sped down the road for 5 mins, hit another one. Then got dragged out of his car and beaten up!

I think I would have pulled over!

The bikers were d1cks, are we supposed to think ill of the range rover driver? The first collision looks like it was caused by the idiot hitting the brakes in front of them expecting them to slam their brakes on too and thus annoying them? I thought it was poetic justice to just see the car drive into him instead.

Then all these idiots chase after the range rover, i doubt one of them knew what actually happened, and not one of them is brave enough to do much on their own meanwhile the range rover guy is understandably worried about a mob so tries to keep away from them.

I don't see it that way, sorry.

The bloke driving the range rover let his fear get the better of him, but his pride wouldn't let him pull over.

If he was afraid, then pull over. If it was a police car, wide load, smoke on the road, wet weather or anything that might cause an accident, then pull over, You have to drive to the conditions.

He didn't. He drove up the back of a bike, stopped then drove over three others, then sped down the road for 5 mins, hit another one. Then got dragged out of his car and beaten up!

I think I would have pulled over!

He did pull over the first time (even though it was not a normal inattention collision the bike pulled in front and brake tested him). Apparently it sounds like the bikers were starting to damage his car, and became threatening, when he first stopped and that's why he forcibly tried to get away.

The white mini van also involved did the right thing and just pulled over.

I am a little ambivalent about this as I often participate in large ride outs. Mostly we just want to get on but at least twice I have encountered drivers like the RR guy who won't slow or give way to just let us all pass quickly which is what would have happened in the video if he had initially behaved like the white minivan. 30 seconds and they would have been gone, he is in heavy traffic. He was an idiot, but, I can't see the behaviour of some of the group was faultless either. Our ride outs have marshalls and any aggro and we report it to them, I saw no sign of this group being marshalled.

I worry some of the extreme comments on our favourite newspaper site will make riding for newbies and commuters just a little less safe tomorrow.

Theres plenty of lanes there the RR guy was under no obligation to move for the bikes they can just go around, you can overtake on both sides in the US. Just using the road like the bikes whats wrong with that. It was a mob mentality, they showed themselves as cowards individually and the brake tester was an idiot, I hope he broke a leg

The white mini van also involved did the right thing and just pulled over.

I am a little ambivalent about this as I often participate in large ride outs. Mostly we just want to get on but at least twice I have encountered drivers like the RR guy who won't slow or give way to just let us all pass quickly which is what would have happened in the video if he had initially behaved like the white minivan. 30 seconds and they would have been gone, he is in heavy traffic. He was an idiot, but, I can't see the behaviour of some of the group was faultless either. Our ride outs have marshalls and any aggro and we report it to them, I saw no sign of this group being marshalled.

I worry some of the extreme comments on our favourite newspaper site will make riding for newbies and commuters just a little less safe tomorrow.

the guy in the RR is driving along minding his own business, trying to get from a-b.

they are riding on a 3 lane dual carriageway. in the USA you can overtake in any lane.

the bikes swarm around him left, right, front, back and centre. what can he do?

the bike that braked in front of him gave the RR a stopping distance of about 2m. the RR did not tailgate the bike, the bike deliberately rode in front of him, then braked.

What a bunch of nobs.

There were bikes up the inside of the car almost immediately, most people are not idiots and will move if space is available to do so. The RR probably had at least six riders close enough to warrant keeping a close eye on, which is more than a reasonable person could do and change lanes safely, given they were on both sides of the car and moving up quickly. If the bikes were keen to press on, why not give the guy some room to get out the way? If he has room and doesn't take it, then at least you know you are dealing with a poor/inconsiderate driver and can adjust your riding to account for it.

The guy who braked a bit then even harder still to cause the crash was looking for it, plain and simple. It's hard to fathom why a person would do that unless they are wanting a fight.

At 40 seconds a pack of bikes is at a standstill, and at least one rider has got off to approach the car, leaving his bike in front of it.

Put yourself in the driver's shoes. Most people would do likewise imo. Then the rest of the video where the car is driving at a sensible speed in the inside lane, yet rather than call the cops about the bike being run over, they decide the best thing to do is to get off and smash up the car.

The press love a conflict on the roads, whether it's cyclists/cars, bikes/cars etc, but this is just ammunition. Most right thinking riders would be apalled by this, surely?

The guy who braked a bit then even harder still to cause the crash was looking for it, plain and simple. It's hard to fathom why a person would do that unless they are wanting a fight.

He even looks back to make sure.

Twuntz. Which conveniently rhymes with Hollywood Stuntz, apparently the name for this bunch.

I've been in this situation in Oz with bikies in packs on the road. You quicky learn to drop to 30 or below and either turn off or let them go well ahead. If you try to outrun them, they will speed up to challenge you. Basically, twats in gangs like an excuse to mete out some righteous beatings when an outsider does the slightest disrespect.

Single bikers - I have no problem with.

I've been in this situation in Oz with bikies in packs on the road. You quicky learn to drop to 30 or below and either turn off or let them go well ahead. If you try to outrun them, they will speed up to challenge you. Basically, twats in gangs like an excuse to mete out some righteous beatings when an outsider does the slightest disrespect.

Single bikers - I have no problem with.

I am not going to take sides, clearly both sides were behaving recklessly and aggressively, but The clip does demonstrate how one or two poor decisions can quickly escalate.

Having said that, from what I hear, the general standard of driving in America is atrocious.

I am not going to take sides, clearly both sides were behaving recklessly and aggressively, but The clip does demonstrate how one or two poor decisions can quickly escalate.

Having said that, from what I hear, the general standard of driving in America is atrocious.

Not sure I agree with that.

Here's a report in th NYT with some more details:

The police said the collision appeared to have been inadvertent on the part of the driver. Seconds later, some of the motorcyclists, most wearing face-covering helmets, crowded around the S.U.V. The police said some began attacking it, though that is not readily apparent in the video. At least one rider present, Rene Towles, 43, offered a different account.

“No biker became aggressive with the driver after the incident,” said Mr. Towles, who belongs to a Brooklyn motorcycle club. “People were just trying to find out what just happened.”

Hmm, all these aggressive riders all calmed down once someone was knocked off. My ****.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/nyregion/motorcyclists-assault-suv-driver-after-chase-uptown-police-say.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

The article states that the rider who was initially struck by the car suffered from broken legs, and that the driver of the car was dragged from it and beaten up but discharged from hospital.

The car is sticking to the middle lane at the start and not attempting to pass anyone before the bikes start to cluster around it. Unless there's something you know about what happened immediately prior to this, it looks as though the bikes accelerated to catch up with the car and then tried to box it in. I see only one side behaving recklessly and aggressively at the start. The car driver's actions look far more like self defence.

The car is sticking to the middle lane at the start and not attempting to pass anyone before the bikes start to cluster around it. Unless there's something you know about what happened immediately prior to this, it looks as though the bikes accelerated to catch up with the car and then tried to box it in. I see only one side behaving recklessly and aggressively at the start. The car driver's actions look far more like self defence.

That seems a much more balanced assessment.

Here's a blog post with another vid which may show some of the same groups.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/did-hollywood-stuntz-attack-this-prius-driver-in-2011-1430929682

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujSkztMRrs#t=65

I'm pretty glad we don't appear to have the same issues in the UK.

Looking at the clip again, the rider wearing an effing t-shirt was clearly spoiling for a fight and deliberately caused the first crash by brake testing the RR.

However, the whole thing could have been avoided if the RR had been driving defensively in the first place instead of hogging the middle lane or if he had simply slowed down and stopped until the bikers had all gone away.

Lengthy driving bans all-round IMO.

hogging the middle lane or if he had simply slowed down and stopped until the bikers had all gone away.

Hogging the middle lane? He's in America. You can drive in whichever lane you like unless there are signs up to tell to you keep to the leftright (d'oh). I don't recall that being the case on the road that runs around Manhattan.

He wasn't driving that fast to begin with. Bikes could easily pass either side. The twunt that brake tests him does it very early on and not long after the car is surrounded. If he stops, what's to say they won't stop as well?

Hogging the middle lane? He's in America. You can drive in whichever lane you like unless there are signs up to tell to you keep to the left. I don't recall that being the case on the road that runs around Manhattan.

He wasn't driving that fast to begin with. Bikes could easily pass either side. The twunt that brake tests him does it very early on and not long after the car is surrounded. If he stops, what's to say they won't stop as well?

Was about to make the same point - driving rules very different over there - safest thing to do in his situation was hold position - imagine it - you have multiple potential targets approaching from left, right and behind. When the rider braked in front of him the RR driver could have pretty much been looking anywhere - rear mirror, left/right wing mirrors or forward, might not have seen the rider. After that looks all like self protection and flight.

<br>Was about to make the same point - driving rules very different over there - safest thing to do in his situation was hold position - imagine it - you have multiple potential targets approaching from left, right and behind. When the rider braked in front of him the RR driver could have pretty much been looking anywhere - rear mirror, left/right wing mirrors or forward, might not have seen the rider. After that looks all like self protection and flight.<br>

The only thing you can control on the road is your own vehicle.

If another vehicle follows too close behind or pulls in front too close, the safest thing to do is to slow down and increase the gap between you and the vehicle in front . If the RR driver had been using better skills for anticipating and planning (i.e. defensive driving) he could have avoided the whole thing. If he had bothered to check his mirrors, he would have seen the several dozen noisy motorbikes coming much earlier and been able to take evasive action (moving over and slowing down). He had too small a margin of error and reacted too late.

The bloke in the t-shirt's (is this what they mean about the right to bare arms?) intention was probably to force the RR to stop and then roar off into the distance laughing or something equally moronic, he's clearly an aggressive yob and I hope he spends the next year or so digging bits of gravel out of his skin.

<br><br>The only thing you can control on the road is your own vehicle.

<div><br></div><div>If another vehicle follows too close behind or pulls in front too close, the safest thing to do is to slow down and increase the gap between you and the vehicle in front . If the RR driver had been using better skills for anticipating and planning (i.e. defensive driving) he could have avoided the whole thing. If he had bothered to check his mirrors, he would have seen the several dozen noisy motorbikes coming much earlier and been able to take evasive action (moving over and slowing down). He had too small a margin of error and reacted too late.</div><div><br></div><div>The bloke in the t-shirt's (is this what they mean about the right to bare arms?) intention was probably to force the RR to stop and then roar off into the distance laughing or something equally moronic, he's clearly an aggressive yob and I hope he spends the next year or so digging bits of gravel out of his skin.</div>

A pretty harsh assessment, unjustifiably so in my view. As Spork has said, what happened prior to the start of the vid is unknown. But at 2 secs on the vid there is a rider in the inside lane(white T shirt, but not the guy who is knocked off) which would prevent the RR being able to move across- the RR is in the middle lane and is already stuck.

The video starts AFTER the Range Rover hit a bike trying to carve through a large group of bikers on an organised ride out who wee ravelling at highway speeds. and refused to stop. That's why they are chasing him. And why the first bike brake tested him. The subsequent running over of bikers is totally out of order and doing that is what caused the (unjustifiable in any circumstances) mob vigilante justice. He got battered because he hit a bike and drove off. You hit someone, you stop.