House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Homesweethome

Living In Lancashire

Hi,

I'm from Lancaster originally, but wanting to move to elsewhere in Lancashire (though if nowhere's that special, I'll consider otherwise, ha). More interested in something close to a city/big town rather than a small village. Not big on Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool, but I've done a bit of research and found these places. I'd appreciate some opinions on which are ok, which are terrible, and if anywhere else is considerable in Lancashire... want to know what my options are really if any:

Nelson, Bacup, Leyland, Brierfield, Colne, Chorley, Clitheroe, Clayton Le Moor, Haslingden.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm from Lancaster originally, but wanting to move to elsewhere in Lancashire (though if nowhere's that special, I'll consider otherwise, ha). More interested in something close to a city/big town rather than a small village. Not big on Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool, but I've done a bit of research and found these places. I'd appreciate some opinions on which are ok, which are terrible, and if anywhere else is considerable in Lancashire... want to know what my options are really if any:

Nelson, Bacup, Leyland, Brierfield, Colne, Chorley, Clitheroe, Clayton Le Moor, Haslingden.

Look at the Market town of Garstang on the lovely Lancaster canal with the Trough of Bowland on your doorstep, or Lytham St Annes.both gems.l could live happily in both.

Thanks!

Edited by barrabus

Hi,

Thanks!

The previous post about Lytham is absolutely right. Of the ones you have listed I would consider Clitheroe or Chorley. They are both larger and have more going on than the others. Clitheroe in particular has some good independent shops, an excellent butcher (Cowmans) and a wine merchant (DBrynes). Both of these towns also have a Booths which indicates a more upmarket demographic. I would definitely avoid Nelson, Colne and especially Brierfield.

Will you tell him why he needs to avoid those towns ? Answer, they are great if you find heroin moreish or you like driving round really fast in an Audi registered to your great uncle and marrying your recently imported cousin. They are they to make people in Burnley feel superior.

I'd add Ribchester as a decent little place, plus maybe Shevington near but DEFINITELY not in Wigan or possibly Edgworth, between Bolton and Blackburn.....

Only Clitheroe from that list. If you've not been it's worth a visit. Appealing place.

Chorley really isn't somewhere I'd want to live because it's very rough. I've got a number of friends who were born in Chorley and all of them couldn't wait to buy outside of the area. Preston is actually very nice, I lived there for five years. Just be aware that Preston has a lot of student rentals and some areas are a bit dodgy.

Preston is awful. Chorley is scummy white trash awful in the town itself. It's a dying town. There are some lovely bits outside both. But in them, no ta.

To be fair I've not lived there since 1998. ;)

Lifelong Prestonian here. The "City" of Preston has absolutely gone to rats**t since you last lived here. More closed shops than open in the town centre, ridiculous house prices relative to local wages and a general air of decay about it.

Apparently Whalley is in the top ten of some recent quality of life survey (as was Garstang). This is according to Radio Lancashire last week, I've not been able to find this survey via Google.

However they are going to build 500 new houses there, which I think will be about 50-100% increase on current population. Don't know how they think people will get out the place at peak times....

If you live in Lancaster you know the score. Most towns in Lancs are quite similar to that in many ways, but without the University and without the seaside. If you can take winter in Lancaster you can take it in Burnley. I suppose Lancaster is also quite isolated compared to the towns further south, which are within a few miles of each other.