House Price Crash Forum
Harry Monk

Big Post Office SharesThread

Hi, have done a search and can't find this covered, apologies if it has been and mods please merge if so.

Is it worth trying to get hold of some Post Office shares when they are sold, particularly in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit?

Royal Mail have lost a lot of the lucrative package deliver to competitors. As a previous poster commented, letters are likely to be a dwindling trend over the coming years.

A close friend works for Royal Mail, and from his experience after 14 years service, the management are an absolute disgrace. How they avoid constructive dismissal cases being brought against them is beyond me.

Whether these are representative of the Company as a whole, I am unsure.

Where a Company has poor management, poor employee engagement is typically a poor investment IMO.

My view: stay well clear.

My dad is a Post Office pensioner - given all the contributions he made over his 35 year service to make it what it is today I am surprised he isn't getting free shares! :D

Probably not a good investment - and Labour opposes the sale which will no doubt depress the price.

Hi, have done a search and can't find this covered, apologies if it has been and mods please merge if so.

Is it worth trying to get hold of some Post Office shares when they are sold, particularly in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit?

If it was a 'free money' privatisation it would have been flogged off years ago.

The fact that the government have held onto it for so long tells you all you need to know about its long term viability

The property assets may be worth something and I suspect that is what might be attracting some investors

Edited by stormymonday_2011

The property assets may be worth something and I suspect that is what might be attracting some investors

Looks like about £1.6 Bil in freehold and £900mil ish in leasehold.

D

Royal Mail have lost a lot of the lucrative package deliver to competitors. As a previous poster commented, letters are likely to be a dwindling trend over the coming years.

A close friend works for Royal Mail, and from his experience after 14 years service, the management are an absolute disgrace. How they avoid constructive dismissal cases being brought against them is beyond me.

Whether these are representative of the Company as a whole, I am unsure.

Where a Company has poor management, poor employee engagement is typically a poor investment IMO.

My view: stay well clear.

mirrors my experience. there's going to be good and bad, and competent and incompetent workers and managers - tends to be a higher percentage of bad managers though :rolleyes:

yes letters are dwindling but I still get close to about a thousand to deliver most days, plus leaflets, and an evering increasing amount of small packets and slight increase in larger parcels.

would knocking off one day of delivery a week, or even have every other day delivery solve/make it hugely profitable?

I think the share offer will be a success. There'll be lots of small private investors moving cash out from under the mattress and the government can't afford to get egg on it's face it will be fully underwritten first week of trading. For that reason I have registered and expect to make a quick £1k or 10% long term not great though.

Most of the replies have not answered your question, because you are considering buying them "in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit".

Probably they were correct to answer a different question - of whether you would be investing in a profitable business.

The answer to your question is "it depends on the price the shares are offered for". If the shares are offered at a reasonable discount to their true value, you should get a reasonable uptick. If there is considerable institutional demand, we should see an uptick.

If it goes straight into the FTSE100, tracker funds will need to buy it, so wthere ill be plenty of demand initially.

No way José.

Letters are dead, parcels are not but Royal Mail has too much competition in that area.

Today, wandered into town and once again a huge queue outside the sorting office. People trying to collect their undelivered parcels. The downside of internet purchases. Buy online to avoid a trip into town and then end up spending more time in town to collect your purchases. Might as well go to Argos.

Probably a business opportunity there somewhere, but damned if I know what it is!

As for whether to buy Royal Mail shares, I'll probably consult the HPC contrary indicator.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Today, wandered into town and once again a huge queue outside the sorting office. People trying to collect their undelivered parcels. The downside of internet purchases. Buy online to avoid a trip into town and then end up spending more time in town to collect your purchases. Might as well go to Argos.

Probably a business opportunity there somewhere, but damned if I know what it is!

As for whether to buy Royal Mail shares, I'll probably consult the HPC contrary indicator.

that's the trouble with living in a large built up area with one pick up point, saturday would be a nightmare and i'd try and avoid picking up then at all costs. something that has needed looking at for many years now, cannot be good for customers or staff.

you can arrange to have it re-delivered at a later date, no good though if you want/need it asap.

..can also apply to collection in many cases for someone picking up a parcel from nearest non RM/PO depot, heard about many people having to drive a 50+ mile round trip to pick up something important - and they live 800metres from their RM depot, obviously this can work both ways. might of saved a fiver in postage but spent a hour+ of their time and a fiver+ in fuel.

Too late, Collect Plus got there before you!

yes, collect plus a good company.. looking at their prices though haven't they gone up in the last year or so? i'm sure i sent a near 10kg parcel a couple of years ago for about a fiver, now nearer a tenner?

Most of the replies have not answered your question, because you are considering buying them "in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit".

Probably they were correct to answer a different question - of whether you would be investing in a profitable business.

Yes, this is true, I am not looking to own them long-term, just in "flipping" them if the share price rises sharply over the day or two after they are floated, maybe turning £5,000 into £6,000.. And this depends on whether the market thinks they are being offered below true value. So the essential question is "what is the share price likely to do in the first few days?"

yes, collect plus a good company.. looking at their prices though haven't they gone up in the last year or so? i'm sure i sent a near 10kg parcel a couple of years ago for about a fiver, now nearer a tenner?

yes, prices of C+ & My Hermes went up approx 20% a few months after Rm price risei Apr. Still a fair bit cheaper than RM