House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Free Bt Football To Cost You 6.5% More

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10338836/BT-to-hit-millions-with-New-Year-price-rise-of-up-to-6.5pc.html

BT to hit millions with New Year price rise of up to 6.5pc

Millions of BT customers will see the price of their phone and broadband packages rise by up to 6.5 per cent in January to help pay for the telecom giant's £1bn investment in sports TV broadcasting.

BT is also increasing the "termination fees" on customers looking to leave mid-contract by as much as 30 per cent, and will also start charging for BT Answer 1571 for the first time.

Even the cost of calling Timeline, the old Speaking Clock, is going up from 34.4p per minute to 36.6p per minute, a rise of 6.3 per cent. Line rental is going up by 3.5 per cent.

Customers will receive details of the increases next week with the higher prices taking effect from January 4.

A BT spokesman justified the increases by explaining that BT was investing in "sport and superfast broadband". He added: "They are not the only things. We have shareholders and dividends to pay."

So free football isn't that free, BT not attracted enough new customers to pay the football contract?

I've got bt broadband and phone and think the free sport is great. I used to pay my dad £13 per month for him to add sky sports package so I could watch rugby. Now with bt I watch all the premiership rugby for free. Great!

I thought the "opt in" clause a bit suspicous...i bet it's much harder to opt out again :lol::lol::lol:

We've been ****ed over by BT once, so done have a land line any more.

I think when you opt in it renews your contract for another 18 months. Seeing as mine was only 2 months old didnt make much difference. Also it's still free for me for another 4 months and even after that I have £50 credit due to several complaints about engineers not turning up.

Just as well that BT are to receive over a billion pounds of public money to build that superfast broadband network then.

As the company at the top of the vertically integrated monopoly, they can raise wholesale prices to all the providers who use their network too - such as line rental.

Thus to an extent, even if you use any other provider (than Virgin Media cable, Hyperoptic, Gigaclear etc) you too are paying for BT Sport.

Won't somebody please think of those BT shareholders ;)

I'm moving back to UK soon after many years abroad. Which is the best provider for just internet with lots of download but no TV, phone etc?

I have 30mb with Virgin. No TV or phone, unlimited downloads, £25 a month. Phone is with Giffgaff, £5/month for 60 minutes plus 300 texts, 0800 numbers are free. I get an extra minute for every minute of calls made to me. Quite often I have over 100 minutes at the end of the month.

I thought the "opt in" clause a bit suspicous...i bet it's much harder to opt out again :lol::lol::lol:

We've been ****ed over by BT once, so done have a land line any more.

Yes, IIRC to get the 'free' Sport Channels you had to agree to renew the contract for 12 months which was obviously a ploy to tie you in for when they jacked the fees to pay for the ludicrous football licensing.

I still think that the overall package is pretty good (especially with the BT Openzone which is worth at least a tenner a month to me) but will have a look around when my renewed contract expires in around 10 months or so. I do get some use out of the BT sport channels but could easily live without them to save some cash.

Looks like the obsession of the Great British Public with football (as well as house prices of course) is yet another thing hitting most people in the pocket whether they like it or not ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10338836/BT-to-hit-millions-with-New-Year-price-rise-of-up-to-6.5pc.html

So free football isn't that free, BT not attracted enough new customers to pay the football contract?

...I've used BT for my broadband for the last 10 years ....good service ...and the BT sport was a freebie added this year..just inherited.. ....worth staying just now for a free service...and see how it all plays out... :rolleyes:

I'm moving back to UK soon after many years abroad. Which is the best provider for just internet with lots of download but no TV, phone etc?

If you go to a cabled up area, Virgin! :o