House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Products Where Market Or Independent Shop Is Better Than Supermarket?

In general, I find that independent shops etc cannot beat supermarkets for good quality fresh meat or vegetables, for price or quality

I compare price per kilo and I don't really understand who would buy from an independent at those prices

However I am prepared to believe some things are better from independents

E.g. sausages, by reputation, supermarkets just don't do sausages as well as independent butchers

Any more examples?

In general, I find that independent shops etc cannot beat supermarkets for good quality fresh meat or vegetables, for price or quality

That isn't my experience. My local independents are normally cheaper and better quality, where they fall down on is reliability.

If I visit Sainsburys/Tesco I know i'll be able to purchase a product at a certain price and quality, the independents supply is much more variable.

I compare price per kilo and I don't really understand who would buy from an independent at those prices

E.g. sausages, by reputation, supermarkets just don't do sausages as well as independent butchers

Any more examples?

I'm struggling with the idea of good quality fruit and veg from a UK supermarket, barring Waitrose, Harrods or M@S in a good day, and while they're not too bad quality-wise, they're not cheap.

UK supermarkets sell vegetables and fruit that are robust, regular in shape and have a long shelf-life, taste doesn't come into it.

There is probably one of those box-of-organic-vegetables delivery services near you, I suggest you try one.

Any more examples?

No doubt the usual VIs will be popping up on here shortly saying how great local stuff from independents is.

Truth is of course it depends. For me for time, cost, quality and variety supermarkets win hands down. I'm sure for other people it is different.

I'd love to support independant shops ! Unfortunately there are a couple of pubs on the way to the town, and Satan is strong, but I am just weak! :blink:

No use generalising. Supermarkets are not all the same, independents even less so. And it depends on the type of area you live in: some places (thriving ethnic area or historic market town) may have superb independent shops; others (suburbia) have dreary ones with little to commend them.

As for supermarkets, my faith in them has been shaken by my house move. I thought having a huge Sainsburys within walking distance would serve my regular needs nicely, but the quality of much of what they have has been a big letdown and I find myself regularly shopping in other supermarkets further afield.

Guest eight

You realise that 'Farm Foods' shop near you isn't classified as an independent, right?

You'll be telling me next that 48 can cases of Pepsi and 36 packet sacks of Quavers don't come from the farm.

You realise that 'Farm Foods' shop near you isn't classified as an independent, right?

Goddammit

Mind reader

Take bell peppers for example

Same produce, I mean the same, cheaper and fresher at my nearby supermarkets - Morrison's or tesco, possibly not cheaper at Sainsbury's, but certainly not worth going out of my way for a local shop to pay more for some wrinkly ones

Take deli cheese, same price more choice at deli counter of Morrison's, fresher, just as nice

Cheap supermarket tomatoes - i avoid them get the posher ones still in supermarket, have more flavour, no more expensive than independent shops, typically fresher

I have tried organic vegetable boxes and they just seem very expensive compared to getting good organic stuff from supermarket, only without being able to choose

Etc

Actually, chilli peppers, better nicer and hotter from my Local Indian deli shop. same goes for dried and fresh herbs and spices

But this is west Yorkshire, so you'd expect the Asian community to have some competitive shops

Actually, chilli peppers, better nicer and hotter from my Local Indian deli shop. same goes for dried and fresh herbs and spices

But this is west Yorkshire, so you'd expect the Asian community to have some competitive shops

You lucky *******! You live in God's own county? :blink:

Living in a small market town the stuff from the independents is miles better than the supermarket, and usually similar prices. Lots of the fruit and veg is much cheaper. Butcher meat infinitely better and a lot cheaper. Cheese is much more expensive from the independent cheese shop but damm worth it. Our Tesco is pretty good, Sainsburys is cleaner but the food all tastes bland and plasticky. Morrisons is just bumping along the bottom with really low-grade stuff. Aldi is very variable, some stuff is super value while other stuff is cheap but very poor quality.

I think you have to do it on an item by item basis in the shops local to you. "local knowledge" is key!

Take deli cheese, same price more choice at deli counter of Morrison's, fresher, just as nice

I expect that's true in many places. But not if this is your local shop.

Actually, chilli peppers, better nicer and hotter from my Local Indian deli shop

Ooh, you lucky thing. Why is it supermarket scotch bonnets tend to be so bland?

Couple of examples illustrate what I said in my previous post: answers vary according to where you live.

Take bell peppers for example

Same produce, I mean the same, cheaper and fresher at my nearby supermarkets - Morrison's or tesco, possibly not cheaper at Sainsbury's, but certainly not worth going out of my way for a local shop to pay more for some wrinkly ones

Cheap supermarket tomatoes - i avoid them get the posher ones still in supermarket, have more flavour, no more expensive than independent shops, typically fresher

I have tried organic vegetable boxes and they just seem very expensive compared to getting good organic stuff from supermarket, only without being able to choose

Etc

For some people its all in the mind. The fact that they think it is from a "special" source makes it taste better.

I agree on tomatoes. Cheapo ones from supermarkets are watery and tasteless. Expensive ones from supermarkets are a whole different taste experience, and of course a whole different cost.

I think with some things there is a large variety of different taste. Like say beer and cheese. There are massive numbers of different types and every one tastes different. Supermarkets sell good "standard" cheeses, but for some really unusual super rank cheese no supermarket is going to sell that.

Baked beans, the taste variety is a lot more limited. You've got full fat to medium fat to watery.

I expect that's true in many places. But not if this is your local shop.

Ooh, you lucky thing. Why is it supermarket scotch bonnets tend to be so bland?

Couple of examples illustrate what I said in my previous post: answers vary according to where you live.

I suspect you're right there old boy

I think, living in the north of the country, that the freshness of our vegetables, in particular, comes down to the quality of the supply chain from the south of England and Europe. Simply, supermarkets might be expected to do that better, whereas in the south of the country, being in a more market gardening oriented area, better climate etc, fast supply chain and freshness may be less of an issue

For some people its all in the mind. The fact that they think it is from a "special" source makes it taste better.

/quote]

Appearance of the food is the most important thing for most people.

We use independent grocers or the market for fruit and veg. Much better than supermarkets for quality and especially price. Some produce I only seem to see in supermarkets - like those huge strawberries that taste of nothing or pale, sour tomatoes.

Butchers are much better value too, although ours don't offer the 99p chicken or the chop that shrivels to nothing as the water escapes when cooked.

When we do go to a supermarket to keep a bit of frozen and tinned food in the cupboards it's usually a small Aldi - a good 30-50% cheaper than the metro Sainsbury.

When we bought some white goods we went with a local independent. Free delivery and fitting, certainly no dearer than a chain, although they din't stock the obvious low-end junk products we saw in Currys.

Local hardware store cheaper than B&Q and you can buy two screws if you want.

I've never thought big box shops were the place to go for genuine value unless you exploit a good loss leader.

Fruit and veg.

Not least because supermarkets tend to sell varieties which, as has been posted, have longer shelf lives, but at the expense of flavour.

Tesco and Sainsbuy's don't sell strawberries, not as I define them, they sell big hard red flavourless things that look like strawberries.

Waitrose is better, but still nowhere near as good as buying "real" strawberries grown locally. But then they don't grow locally all year round.

I'd also guess that meat is much more flavoursome when purchased from the local farm shop than a supermarket, but since I don't eat meat I don't have any first hand evidence of that.

My definition of "independent" would be, for instance, the little shop attached to one of the local farms which sells some gorgeous and unusual chutneys, jams and so on.

It does rather put to the test the adage "If it tasted better I'd pay more" - £4 for a jar of chutney for example.

We use independent grocers or the market for fruit and veg. Much better than supermarkets for quality and especially price. Some produce I only seem to see in supermarkets - like those huge strawberries that taste of nothing or pale, sour tomatoes.

Butchers are much better value too, although ours don't offer the 99p chicken or the chop that shrivels to nothing as the water escapes when cooked.

When we do go to a supermarket to keep a bit of frozen and tinned food in the cupboards it's usually a small Aldi - a good 30-50% cheaper than the metro Sainsbury.

When we bought some white goods we went with a local independent. Free delivery and fitting, certainly no dearer than a chain, although they din't stock the obvious low-end junk products we saw in Currys.

Local hardware store cheaper than B&Q and you can buy two screws if you want.

I've never thought big box shops were the place to go for genuine value unless you exploit a good loss leader.

For example, in my case

Value brand frozen chicken breasts, 3.99 per kilo pack in Sainsbury's tesco Morrison's, 3 packs kilo each a tenner at farm foods.

I have tried and compared and cannot tell the difference between these and other standard chicken breasts, if anything they taste fresher than none frozen ones

Maybe being smartprice/value etc brand puts people off, but, and I admit it came down to detective work typo confirm the quality, independents don't come close to £4a kilo for chicken breasts

It does rather put to the test the adage "If it tasted better I'd pay more" - £4 for a jar of chutney for example.

Just eat less and more slowly but enjoy better quality and flavour.

Have you visited a country like iceland ?

You will find the supermarkets have little quantity of produce (as most has to be imported), but what is there will be top quality and taste excellent. It will be expensive. So you reduce portion sizes and live more healthily, eat more slowly, and enjoy the flavours.

Cheap and abundant quantity does not mean more enjoyment - but it can mean increased girth

Guest eight

For example, in my case

Value brand frozen chicken breasts, 3.99 per kilo pack in Sainsbury's tesco Morrison's, 3 packs kilo each a tenner at farm foods.

I have tried and compared and cannot tell the difference between these and other standard chicken breasts, if anything they taste fresher than none frozen ones

Maybe being smartprice/value etc brand puts people off, but, and I admit it came down to detective work typo confirm the quality, independents don't come close to £4a kilo for chicken breasts

Yeah, I'm totally with you there. They seem bigger too - and it's definitely not added water as they retain the size when cooked. Ridiculously cheap food really.

For example, in my case

Frozen is cheaper for several reasons, which you'll know.

i) can even out supply variatons

ii) can transport distances

iii) will contain added water

Personally I don't buy frozen meat. Morrison's is probably the best supermarket for fresh meat because they own their own slaughter houses and all their own fresh meat is UK origin. Their hung beef is very good.

Chicken, you really can't better your own home-reared, surplus to supply cockerel. Once you have eaten one you would never bother with a supermarket chicken again.

Pork, you are better off buying the basic range as the other ranges all have added water to make them cook better - i.e. designed to withstand overcooking without going dry. So the 'quality' you are paying for is added water. Know how to cook pork and you won't have a problem with the basic ranges of chops, legs, shoulders etc.

Any more examples?

This is easy in Switzerland, the supermarkets are harvey nicks prices at happy shopper quality (the fruit is truly feckin abysmal). The local butcher baker candlestickmaker are similarly priced and lightyears ahead in quality