House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Mothers Forced Back To Work: 75% Take Jobs As Anti-Family Policies Bite

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434358/Mothers-forced-work-75-jobs-anti-family-policies-bite.html

Three-quarters of mothers who are married or living with a partner are now working, official figures revealed yesterday.

It is the highest proportion since records began.

The figures, from the Office for National Statistics, highlight an extraordinary social change in this country, in particular the effect of crippling financial pressures on families.

Over the last two years, around 200,000 women who are married or living with a partner and have young children have joined the workforce. This is larger than the total increase in working mothers which took place during the previous 15 years, according to the ONS figures.

Last night, experts blamed Government policies which, they said, have made it harder for a generation of parents to raise their children. One of the most controversial decisions was to axe child benefit in January for families with one earner on more than £60,000 – while a couple who both earn £50,000 can keep it.

The decision to increase VAT to 20 per cent and the failure to introduce a tax break for married couples have added to the pressure. Many mothers forced to return to work blame the impact of rising household bills when their husband or boyfriend’s wages have been frozen, or barely moved, for five years.

So women are having to work because child benefit has been axed, the increase in VAT, the failure to introduce a married couple tax break and the increase in household bills.

Yep I think they've got it all covered there. I can't think of another large elephant in the room which might mean people having to find work. Nope none at all.

Edited by interestrateripoff

So women are having to work because child benefit has been axed, the increase in VAT, the failure to introduce a married couple tax break and the increase in household bills.

Yep I think they've got it all covered there. I can't think of another large elephant in the room which might mean people having to find work. Nope none at all.

Regardless of whether certain benefits are needed or not.. as a household we tend to do things in a terribly conventional way - I do all the direct debits, my wife does the food shopping, etc.. very 1950s.

And the practical result of government policy has been to try to reduce my wife's total income - stopped tax credits, reduced child benefits - whilst the cost of essentials like food has gone up, my wife sees far more inflation than I do - with low interest rates, frozen council tax and fairly static utility bills I haven't seen much inflation.

Now, being a reasonable person I just increase the transfer payments to compensate. But I can imagine some control freaks enjoying the extra power conferred by this. There really has been a subtle redistribution from women to men within relationships..

Regardless of whether certain benefits are needed or not.. as a household we tend to do things in a terribly conventional way - I do all the direct debits, my wife does the food shopping, etc.. very 1950s.

And the practical result of government policy has been to try to reduce my wife's total income - stopped tax credits, reduced child benefits - whilst the cost of essentials like food has gone up, my wife sees far more inflation than I do - with low interest rates, frozen council tax and fairly static utility bills I haven't seen much inflation.

Now, being a reasonable person I just increase the transfer payments to compensate. But I can imagine some control freaks enjoying the extra power conferred by this. There really has been a subtle redistribution from women to men within relationships..

Ours salaries just go into one account. Share and share alike...On pay day the direct debits come out including the necessaries tot he savings account. If there is no money left in the current account at the end of the month then we just have to wait a week or two until it's pay day again - It's all very simple.

I could never understand people like my mother and stepfather who would have their salaries paid into their own account and then pay different things out each. IMO that's not 100% commitment, it is very.... well I don't know.

Guest eight

I could never understand people like my mother and stepfather who would have their salaries paid into their own account and then pay different things out each. IMO that's not 100% commitment, it is very.... well I don't know.

My parents are exactly the same. Hence you hear them saying things to each other like "Don't forget you still owe me twenty-six pence for the bread" :blink:

My parents are exactly the same. Hence you hear them saying things to each other like "Don't forget you still owe me twenty-six pence for the bread" :blink:

Yes indeed. That reminds me how much my grandmother and grandfather lowed arguing. My mother also loves a good bicker and argument with my stepfather.

I like to run the household as a democracy, what I say goes :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434358/Mothers-forced-work-75-jobs-anti-family-policies-bite.html

Nope ;)

Ours salaries just go into one account. Share and share alike...On pay day the direct debits come out including the necessaries tot he savings account. If there is no money left in the current account at the end of the month then we just have to wait a week or two until it's pay day again - It's all very simple.

I know two couples who stopped having a joint account because one (in both cases the man) used to spend money like water, didn't understand budgeting, both worked and had similar salaries. In one case it saved the marriage as it stopped all the money rows, in the other it was too late and they divorced (there were other reasons as well). It's not about lacking commitment, it's about not being prepared to let your partner bankrupt the both of you.

no, they are having to work to qualify for a mortgage...a single income in 99% of cases just isnt enough.

This is fine for people on regular salaries.

for people in business, a joint account is pure madness.

You obviously never lived in a relationship where one person could budget and control their spending and the other could not...

i would never share my finances with anyone ever again..

Nope ;)

I know two couples who stopped having a joint account because one (in both cases the man) used to spend money like water, didn't understand budgeting, both worked and had similar salaries. In one case it saved the marriage as it stopped all the money rows, in the other it was too late and they divorced (there were other reasons as well). It's not about lacking commitment, it's about not being prepared to let your partner bankrupt the both of you.

Surely if you had such a problem you would discuss the situation like adults?

For example if I was going to go and spend a couple of grand on a motorbike or she wanted another car then I would discuss it with mrs khards and come to an agreement.

If she was spending to much $$$ on new clothes, makeup and handbags etc, then I would have few words. If I was spending too much on bullion then I am sure whe would have a few words.

Ultimately for a shared account to work you need mutual respect and to not take the piss. I guess some people are greedy or cannot share and the shared account would never work without them splitting up. I would move on in that case.

Surely if you had such a problem you would discuss the situation like adults?

For example if I was going to go and spend a couple of grand on a motorbike or she wanted another car then I would discuss it with mrs khards and come to an agreement.

If she was spending to much $$$ on new clothes, makeup and handbags etc, then I would have few words. If I was spending too much on bullion then I am sure whe would have a few words.

Ultimately for a shared account to work you need mutual respect and to not take the piss. I guess some people are greedy or cannot share and the shared account would never work without them splitting up. I would move on in that case.

You have one person who is used to buying what they want and buying top of the range (£2.5k on four sports tyres - I kid you not), won't buy or eat anything from Lidl / Aldi. And another who exclusively buys from there and wouldn't spend £2.5k on a whole car. There is no financial common ground there, but otherwise the relationship is great. Similar (not great) salaries, one used to living in debt, the other with a horror of owing money.

So they avoid having repeated rows caused by two very different attitudes to money by separating their financial affairs. It's not about taking the piss, it's about different spending patterns. They wouldn't come to the agreement that you and your missus would, they are just too far apart on money.

When you have a joint account then you really notice how much women spend on random stuff. Five quid here, ten quid there, seven quid here, fifteen quid there... Cosmetics is the big one.

Edited by btl_hater

When you have a joint account then you really notice how much women spend on random stuff. Five quid here, ten quid there, seven quid here, fifteen quid there... Cosmetics is the big one.

A lot of men too. I saw credit card statements when checking expenses for payroll. Some blokes were routinely buying two or three things on their credit cards every single day, £20 or £30 was typical. Boy did it add up and their houses must have been full of stuff.

You have one person who is used to buying what they want and buying top of the range (£2.5k on four sports tyres - I kid you not), won't buy or eat anything from Lidl / Aldi. And another who exclusively buys from there and wouldn't spend £2.5k on a whole car. There is no financial common ground there, but otherwise the relationship is great. Similar (not great) salaries, one used to living in debt, the other with a horror of owing money.

So they avoid having repeated rows caused by two very different attitudes to money by separating their financial affairs. It's not about taking the piss, it's about different spending patterns. They wouldn't come to the agreement that you and your missus would, they are just too far apart on money.

and in this case, if the spender loses the job, and has cards and credit all over the place, the chance to bankrupt out of it is good for them...YOU end up with the joint and severall liabilities.

separate....its best.

<br />Ours salaries just go into one account. Share and share alike...On pay day the direct debits come out including the necessaries tot he savings account. If there is no money left in the current account at the end of the month then we just have to wait a week or two until it's pay day again - It's all very simple.<br /><br />I could never understand people like my mother and stepfather who would have their salaries paid into their own account and then pay different things out each. IMO that's not 100% commitment, it is very.... well I don't know.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

same here +1

My missus and I had separate individual accounts, into which our salaries were paid, plus a shared joint account, into which we both paid by standing order. All the bills and other essential items were paid from the joint account, leaving us both free to spend our own cash on whatever we wanted (including presents for each other) without guilt. I thought that system worked pretty well.

Edited by snowflux

I'll add in another reason for spearate finances, again people I know.

Both spending above their income, both with debts increasing. They have taken the decision that one of them will pick up most of the expenses from now on, max out on all the credit cards and personal loans, so that the other can pay theirs down and save some money. Then the other one will declare bankruptcy.

Neat solution IMO and as only one of them is on the mortgage that's decided which of them is going to go bust. They intend having a very good few years between now and the bankruptcy as it is essentially free money to spend.